Krispy Kreme is by far one of the most popular doughnut shops in the world. Whenever that “Hot doughnuts” neon sign lights up, people form lines to enjoy some warm fresh donuts.
But what happens if you can’t eat the whole box of donuts? Or when you want to stock up on them so you can enjoy them in the next couple of days? Thankfully, Krispy Kreme donuts maintain their freshness for a while, and there are plenty of ways to reheat them.
In this article, we’ll examine the history of Krispy Kreme and how to maintain the freshness of its donuts. We’ll also provide you with a few different methods to reheat them and enjoy them just like when they were fresh.
Keep on reading to learn more about how to reheat Krispy Kreme donuts!
History of Krispy Kreme Donuts
Krispy Kreme has a lengthy history that spans over 75 years. Its founder, Vernon Rudolph, opened the first store in Old Salem, North Carolina, in 1937. He made the original Krispy Kreme donuts using a secret recipe and sold them to local convenience stores.
However, people soon wanted to buy fresh ones directly from him. Therefore, he opened a hole in his store’s wall and began selling fresh Original Glazed donuts to the public. Some more stores opened during the 1940s but lacked the consistency Rudolph desired.
Thus, during the 1950s, Krispy Kreme significantly automated the making of donuts. It was actually one of the first donut shops to do so. Its Krispy Automatic Ring-King Junior Doughnut Machine is held at the Smithsonian Institution’s National Museum of American History.
Did you know:
- The Original Glazed is still the most popular donut that Krispy Kreme sells. These donuts are made with a yeasty dough, giving them distinct fluffiness. They are fried in vegetable shortening, and then they pass through a glaze waterfall.
- If you’ve ever heard of a special occasion, celebration, or holiday, Krispy Kreme probably has a donut for it. The brand releases new donut flavors constantly, including limited edition ones for holidays like Christmas and Easter.
- There’s actually a sporting event centered around Krispy Kreme. The North Carolina State University holds an annual race called the Krispy Kreme Challenge. In this competition, participants need to run to a local Krispy Kreme store, eat 12 donuts and run back in under 1 hour.
- Krispy Kreme holds the Guinness World Record for the largest box of doughnuts. The Kuwait Food Co. (Americana) crafted the box in Kuwait. The box itself weighs almost 300 pounds and can hold 2,700 Krispy Kreme donuts.
How Long Do Krispy Kreme Doughnuts Stay Fresh?
Nothing beats some fresh, hot Krispy Kreme donuts. But you can’t always have them like that. Sometimes you want to save some for the next day’s breakfast or as a snack for the next few days.
Krispy Kreme doughnuts generally have a longer shelf life than other doughnuts. Their glazed doughnuts are good to eat for a few days and even up to a week. However, their cream-filled donuts won’t last as long and should be consumed within the day.
Donuts don’t really rot, but they are susceptible to mold. Generally, you want to avoid spots with high moisture or direct sunlight, as they can aid in mold formation. So, next time you grab a doughnut that’s been sitting on your kitchen table for a few days, check for any signs of mold before you eat it.
How to Keep Krispy Kreme Doughnuts Fresh?
While Krispy Kreme doughnuts don’t require refrigeration, leaving them on your kitchen counter at room temperature will still make them stale and dry. Instead, there are better ways to maintain the freshness of these delicious donuts for many days.
If you want to keep your doughnuts at room temperature so you can snack on them whenever you want, the best way to store them is in an airtight container. You can also use a ziplock bag. This way, you’ll prevent them from getting dry and sticky.
Ideally, though, you should always place your doughnuts in the fridge or the freezer if you don’t plan to eat them within the day. This way, they’ll stay fresh for many days or even for a few months if you put them in a freezer bag.
When the time comes, and you want to eat the donuts, you can just reheat them. While reheated Krispy Kreme donuts are not the same as fresh ones, they’re still an excellent way to satisfy your sweet tooth.
How to Reheat Krispy Kreme Donuts?
The best thing about reheating Krispy Kreme donuts is that you don’t have to thaw them first. You can just take your frozen donuts and reheat them within a few minutes. Here are a few different ways you can reheat Krispy Kreme donuts.
The microwave is the primary method most people use to reheat any type of food, including Krispy Kreme doughnuts. Even Krispy Kreme itself recommends reheating your leftover donuts in the microwave. Here’s what you’ll need to do:
- Place your doughnut on a microwave-safe plate. You can also cover it with a piece of damp paper towel if it has gone stale. This will add some much-needed moisture to it.
- Microwave the donut for 8-10 seconds, depending on the strength of your microwave and the type of donut. You can repeat the process for 2-3 second intervals if it’s not warm enough.
- Once it’s fully warmed up, remove it from the microwave and serve immediately, so it doesn’t get cold.
If you have more than one donut, just add 3-4 seconds for each additional piece. However, we recommend that you heat each one individually so it warms up thoroughly and quickly. Overall, microwaved donuts are by far the easiest and softest reheated donuts you can enjoy.
If you don’t have access to a microwave or want to reheat a large quantity of Krispy Kreme donuts, your best bet is to use your oven. Here are the steps you need to follow:
- Preheat your oven to 350°F (180°C).
- Place your doughnuts on a baking tray or a wire rack. You can use some parchment paper to avoid making a mess. Also, if you have very stale donuts, spray them with a little water and cover them with aluminum foil to soften them.
- Place them in the oven and heat them for 4-5 minutes, or until they’re as hot as you like them, and serve them immediately.
The oven method is excellent for reheating many donuts, but it can alter their texture, making the outside of the donuts and the glaze crunchier. If you find that enjoyable, then the oven method is the best for you.
Toaster Oven Or Air Fryer
An air fryer or a toaster oven will work very similarly to your traditional oven. They are ideal if you prefer crunchy reheated Krispy Kreme donuts but don’t want to turn on the stove to reheat only a few pieces. Here are the steps you need to follow.
- Preheat your air fryer or toaster oven to 350°F (180°C).
- Line the air fryer with parchment paper and place the donuts inside. For the toaster oven, line the wire rack with parchment paper and put your doughnuts on it.
- Heat them for 2-3 minutes or more, depending on how warm or crunchy you want them. Once they’re done, serve before they get cold.
With these appliances, you’ll definitely get a drier but more crunchy result than the microwave and even the traditional oven.
What Can I Do With Leftover Krispy Kreme Donuts?
We’ve all had instances when we bought a few too many donuts. If you have a few leftover donuts, you can just keep them in an airtight container and eat them the next day. Alternatively, you can freeze them and enjoy them after a few days or weeks.
If you have a larger quantity of leftover Krispy Kreme donuts, you can make some delicious desserts with them. Since stale donuts are basically fried dough, you can treat them as stale bread and make great dishes with them. Some popular recipes include:
- Donut bread pudding
- Donut waffles
- Donut french toast
- Donut trifle
Can You Eat Krispy Kreme the Next Day?
While Krispy Kreme donuts are best enjoyed fresh, you can still eat them the next day or even after a few days. Just keep them away from direct sunlight and moisture to avoid mold growth. You can store them in their original packaging or an airtight package. You can even freeze them so they last longer.
Why Is My Donut Hard the Next Day?
Whenever you leave any kind of dough, including donuts, uncovered, the oxygen in the room will start to dry it out. If you haven’t finished your donuts within a day or two, they’ll probably become stale. Don’t worry, though, as there are many ways to reheat and soften them.
What Is the Best Way to Reheat Krispy Kreme Donuts?
There are plenty of ways to reheat leftover donuts, including your oven or an air fryer. However, the best way to reheat Krispy Kreme donuts is in the microwave. Just pop them in the microwave for 8-10 seconds to warm up, and they’ll taste just like fresh ones. You can even cover them with a wet napkin to soften them if they have become stale.