When it comes to desserts, kids can be quite the customers who enjoy the very most of sugary aperitives. Since I was little, my dad got me used to taking a glazed donut for a snack, a habit that I still conserve and enjoy quite a lot.
To me, donuts are delicious; they can come in endless flavors and match perfectly with any shake or a nice cup of coffee. What else can you ask for?
Now, when it comes to talking about donuts, the Krispy Kreme donuts are quite the sensation for your delight that create memories both in kids and adults.
What Are Krispy Kreme Donuts?
With its classic bright visible neon red sign in the car-stop stores, Krispy Kreme has handed out its famous warm glazed donuts. This delicious treat will caress your palate after being baked, fried, turned around, and glazed.
Although, in its beginnings served only warm glazed donuts, currently, they have all kinds of fillers with many flavors. How did this happen?
Taking a Look at the History of Krispy Kreme Donuts
The history of your favorite donuts began a long time ago, around 1933, when the young Vernon Rudolph started to work with his uncle, Ishmael Armstrong; he was the owner of a store in Paducah, Kentucky, where would commercialize all kinds of products.
There were some popular donuts among those products, and its original recipe is still a mystery even now. Some say that Vernon’s uncle took inspiration from a recipe of a chef called Joseph LeBeouf, who was famous for his spongy and soft donuts that would sell on a barge in the Ohio River.
However, due to the problems caused by the Great Depression, in 1943, uncle and nephew decided to take their chances on conquering a bigger city, like the case of Nashville, Tennessee. Vernon and Ishmael focused on selling their donuts there, so they opened “The Krispy Kreme Doughnut Company.”
The donut sale was such a great success that Vernon opened a shop in North Carolina. There, he would sell donuts to convenience stores and individual customers who would arrive at the store between midnight and 4 am (when the donuts were produced).
Krispy Kreme Expansion
From 1939 on, the business just kept growing. That year, the first Krispy Kreme bakehouse opened in Akron, Ohio, and by 1950 started a significant expansion. At that time, Vernon opened a store in Savannah, Georgia, and only needed a little less than a decade for his donuts to be known in all of the southeasts of the USA.
In 1976, Krispy Kreme became a subsidiary of Beatrices Food of Chicago, Illinois, but the association did not last long since, in 1982, another franchise newly bought Krispy Kreme.
Its first store out of the southeast (the zone where most of the establishments were) of the United States came in 1990, and it was not until 2001 when Krispy Kreme opened its first store out of the country, in Mississauga, Ontario, Canada.
From there, the rest is history; the Krispy Kreme donuts are among the most popular in the market, distinguishing themselves by their quality and delicious flavors.
What are Krispy Kreme’s Most Popular Donuts?
In my personal opinion (taking into consideration a whole life eating Krispy Kreme donuts) and inviting you to taste every one of these and then comment on your experience, the best Krispy Kreme donuts are:
- Oreo and Kreme cookies: It is a donut filled with oreo cookies and Kreme, showered with black chocolate, covered with Oreos and a little bit of cream on top, simply to me, the best combination.
- Chocolate ice cream filled: Filled with a significant amount of pastry cream and chocolate icing, with amazing softness.
- Chocolate Iced Glazed: It is a classic, with an extra amount of chocolate that makes everything better.
- Original glazed: The classic donut is still among the best and most popular, being super soft and buttery with just the right glaze.
- Strawberry ice cream with sprinkles: Soft and spongy, with a fruity glaze, as if it were a strawberry cake.
- Raspberry filling with chocolate ice cream: This one is Filled with sweet frozen raspberry jelly and glazed with delicious chocolate.
- Lemon glazed filling: Has a filling with a solid yet balanced lemon flavor that does not exceed sugary or acid.
- Blueberry glazed cake: It looks like a blueberry muffin with a bit more sweetness due to the glaze.
How Long Do Krispy Kreme Donuts Last?
The Krispy Kreme donuts are made every day from 4 am, and 22.000 are produced daily. So the best thing to do is eat them right after you bought them, or right out of the oven per se, in order to enjoy its freshness at its maximum.
However, these can be kept and reheated to eat later; How long can they last? It depends on the following factors:
- How were they elaborated: When it comes to regular donuts, I mean, the simple ones, powdered, glazed, or with a single layer, these can maintain a freshness period between one or two days of purchase (if they are well wrapped).
- Type of filler: When it comes to Krispy Kreme’s cream-filled donuts, these can stay in optimum condition between three to five days but only if they are kept refrigerated, unlike regular donuts that can be held at an average temperature.
- Refrigeration Method: If you keep your donuts in the fridge, their hour shelf life will last between three to four days; however, if you choose to freeze them, according to Krispy Kreme, their donuts can last up to two months in the freezer; this adds a lot of life to your Krispy Kreme donuts, but, you have to know that its taste and texture will not be the same if you compare them to the taste and texture of fresh doughnuts. You could help yourself with a heavy-duty freezer bag or airtight bag to keep your donuts as fresh as possible.
How to Freeze Krispy Kreme Donuts?
In order to freeze your donuts, you need a plastic wrap, cling film, or an airtight package. Likewise, you have to wrap the donuts well with plastic or aluminum to freeze them and put them in a bag or airtight container. If you keep the donuts frozen to 0° F, they will be ok to eat even a couple of weeks later.
How to defrost Krispy Kreme Donuts?
If you are interested in defrosting your Krispy Kreme leftover donuts, a microwave is the best thing to use. That way, you will only need to place a microwave-safe plate and defrost your donut for about 15 to 20 seconds, depending on the microwave. Then, check every 10 seconds if the donut has defrosted and is warm enough to eat.
How to Know If a Krispy Kreme Donut Is Rotten?
- Check the expiration date: If you are unsure how long you have kept your donuts, look at the bottom of the expiration date. If the expiration date has already passed, then the best thing to do is discard them.
- Watch and look at your donuts: Look and smell your donuts, and throw away the ones with a foul odor or appearance. If you find any with mold, the best thing is to throw it all away.
How Do Krispy Kreme Donuts Stay Fresh For the Next Day?
- If you are not going to eat your donuts immediately, keep them in their original packaging at room temperature.
- If you are going to keep your donuts in the fridge, to keep them in the best condition, wrap them up in a napkin and keep them in a paper bag. It is best to refrigerate them immediately if they are not consumed yet.
- If you want to freeze your donuts for longer life, use aluminum paper to wrap them and keep them in a hermetically sealed container. If you are going to freeze them for an extended period, I recommend you cover them with aluminum paper and two plastic bags, then store them in an airtight storage container.
The donuts are a fantastic snack that you and your kids will love. These became a phenomenon in American culture that is impossible not to enjoy.
Their cake flavors and some more originals like the lemon glazed filling or the Oreo donut are irresistible. In addition, you can also find some more simple donuts, like the original glazed one, for simpler palates, not to mention that you can find a great breakfast if you go for a blueberry glazed cake (perfect for the mornings).
Are Krispy Kreme Donuts Healthy?
The Krispy Kreme donuts are made with high-quality materials. However, their main ingredients are eggs, dairy products, and some sweeteners, with so many calories, excessive consumption can cause health damage.
Therefore, it is advisable not excessively to eat them. It is worth noticing that since 2007, Krispy Kreme started to commercialize whole wheat glazed donuts, and from 2008 onwards, the amount of trans fats in all its donuts has been reduced to 0,5gr or less.
Can Donuts Left Out Overnight Be Eaten?
Yes, since donuts are edible for one or two days whenever kept at room temperature. However, always store your donuts safely to ensure that they are not exposed to any harmful environmental agents that may subsequently prevent you from consuming them.
In addition, make sure that your donuts are not left in a place exposed to direct sunlight, and consider that glazed donuts have a shelf life of about 8 hours, which is only extended if they are appropriately refrigerated in a fridge.