Are you on the hunt for some spooky Halloween treats to indulge in? Relax because we got you covered! Set out the most eye-catching treats on your table with these delectable vampire donuts! These creative and tasty desserts are perfect for a festive Halloween party with your family and friends.
The history of the vampire donuts
Vampire donuts, from the name itself, originated from the keywords―vampire and donuts. So, let’s take a trip down memory lane and learn more about the history of these two!
Vampires are quite fascinating creatures from folklore in Europe that can be dated back to the 17th to 18th centuries. These mythological beings are known to hunt at night, looking for people who they can prey upon and consume their blood.
While there are several people associated to be the first vampires like Giure Grando from Croatia and a certain Ambrogio from Greece, the most notable vampire of all is Count Dracula. This famous fictional character was said to be inspired by the prince of Romania, Vlad the Impaler.
Meanwhile, donuts have a long-running history, being introduced as deep-fried cakes by Europeans during the late 15th century. But before that, the same pastries were already created by the Romans and the Greeks.
Arabs, on the other hand, had their own fritters, which then became prominent in countries like Germany, England, and the Netherlands. By then, donuts were developed and eventually introduced to America. The first donut machine arrived in the US in the 1920s, and from then it became a massive hit.
Ingredients needed for the vampire donuts
Vampire donuts are not just eye candies but also very easy to make. Below are the things you need to prepare in advance for these spooky yet sweet delights!
- all sorts of donuts (your favorite glazed or chocolate donuts) or bagels of your choice
- set of vampire’s teeth
- mini candy eyes, mini m&m, or chocolate chips
- gel (red decorating gel and black decorating gel)
- vanilla frosting
- peanut butter
- parchment paper
If you opt to create donuts from scratch, you may do so. Just prepare the following ingredients:
- active dry yeast
- all-purpose flour
- whole milk
- granulated sugar
- kosher salt
- melted butter
- large eggs
- vanilla extract
- vegetable oil for frying
Step by step on how to make vampire donuts
Transform store-bought or homemade donuts into eye-catching Halloween desserts with the help of our recipe below:
- Set out the parchment paper on a tray and place all the donuts evenly.
- Start with one donut and place a pair of vampire’s teeth into the center of the donut. Before doing so, make sure that you push the back end of the teeth so that they will be stuck nicely into the hole.
- Once the set of vampire’s teeth is placed into the donut’s hole, try to slightly open the teeth to create a more realistic vampire appearance.
- Now, add the mini candy eyes to the donut. If you don’t have mini candy eyes, you may use chocolate chips or mini m&m instead. And if you are using a glazed donut, don’t worry because the eyes would easily stick.
- Using the black decorating gel, create a hairline and draw a pair of eyebrows. And to complete the look, add some traces of red decorating gel to the hinges of the vampire fangs. This fake blood outline gives off the perfect vampire bite!
- Repeat the process for each vampire donut. Let the donuts sit for 20 minutes or until the decorative gel is completely dry.
PS: In case the glaze could not hold the eyes properly, you may add a gel vanilla frosting. You can also use honey or peanut butter as a substitute.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Total time: 20 – 30 minutes
Tips for making the vampire donuts
Vampire donuts are very easy to prepare. Perhaps the only challenge would be on how to place the vampire teeth into the donut. And of course, your creative skills would be put to test!
When placing the pair of vampire’s teeth, follow the technique of pushing the back end and putting the teeth right into the hole of the glazed donut. This will help the teeth fit into the donut. If you don’t use this technique, there’s a great possibility that the teeth will pop out and ruin your designs!
As to the designs, it’s all up to you! You may upgrade the basic procedures and add more style, depending on what you want.
How to preserve the vampire donuts
Just like most donuts, you may store vampire donuts at room temperature for at least two days, with or without a container. However, if you believe you can’t consume all donuts within a day or two, then it’s best to put them inside the fridge, storing them in a resealable bag or an airtight container.
These Halloween vampire donuts give off a spooky vibe that is perfect for treating kids! Everyone can nibble on these desserts while waiting for their trick-or-treat visitors! So, take your time and learn the recipe by heart!
1. Who invented the vampire donuts?
Aside from the European background as well as Roman, Greek, and Arab traces, the first ring-shaped donut was said to be created by Hanson Gregory in 1847. However, all of these were just claims and there is no accurate recount of the history of these sweet treats.
2. How many calories are in a vampire donut?
The calorie count of a vampire donut largely depends on the donut and the toppings used. A typical medium-sized glazed donut already has 192 to 300 calories. So, if altered into a vampire donut with toppings like chocolate and other sweets, it may reach up to 2,000 calories!
3. Where can you buy vampire donuts?
Most commercialized donut stores like Krispy Kreme and Dunkin’ Donuts do not sell the exact vampire donuts on the recipe. But on the bright side, they have some seasonal donuts for Halloween like Frank, Drake, and Wolfie monster donuts from Krispy and Kreme.
Meanwhile, Dunkin’ offers a variety of Halloween-inspired donuts such as Choc-O-Lantern, Scary Strawberry, Spooky Sprinkles, Purple Potion, Vampire’s Delight, Witch’s Brew-Berry, Wicked Chocolate, and more!