The short answer is no, Monin watermelon syrup does not contain any alcohol. Monin syrups are non-alcoholic flavorings commonly used to add fruit flavors to coffee, tea, milkshakes and other beverages.
What is Monin Watermelon Syrup?
Monin watermelon syrup is a concentrated, non-alcoholic syrup made from real watermelon juice. It provides an intense, fresh watermelon flavor and aroma that can be added to drinks and desserts.
Some key facts about Monin watermelon syrup:
- Made in France by Monin, a leading manufacturer of gourmet syrups and flavorings
- Contains watermelon juice concentrate, natural flavors, cane sugar, citric acid and water
- Free of artificial colors, flavors or preservatives
- Available in a 750mL bottle with a flip-top cap
- Has a bright pink color and thick, syrupy texture
- Imparts a sweet, juicy watermelon taste without being overpowering
Monin watermelon syrup is commonly used to make:
- Watermelon lemonade or watermelon iced tea
- Watermelon mojitos and margaritas (use non-alcoholic syrup)
- Watermelon martinis (use syrup + vodka/rum)
- Watermelon smoothies and milkshakes
- Watermelon Italian sodas or sparkling water
- Watermelon shaved ice and snow cones
- Watermelon yogurts, oatmeal and desserts
Does it Contain Alcohol?
Regular Monin watermelon syrup does not contain any alcohol. It is a non-alcoholic product made solely from fruit juice, sugar, water and natural flavors.
According to the ingredients list and nutrition information from Monin, their watermelon syrup contains:
- Watermelon juice concentrate
- Natural flavors
- Fruit pectin
- Citric acid
There is no alcohol, spirits, malt or fermented ingredients included. The syrup is safe for people of all ages to consume.
Comparison to Alcoholic Watermelon Syrups
Some brands do make alcoholic watermelon syrups or liqueurs that contain vodka or rum. These will be clearly labelled as containing alcohol.
For example, Bols and Hiram Walker both make watermelon liqueurs with around 20% alcohol by volume (ABV). The ingredients list will specify that it contains a distilled spirit.
So it’s important to read the label to confirm that what you’re buying is the non-alcoholic Monin syrup, not one of the alcoholic versions.
Using Monin Watermelon Syrup in Drinks
Here are some tips for incorporating Monin watermelon syrup into different beverages:
- Combine 3 parts lemonade, 1 part watermelon syrup and 5 parts water
- Shake over ice and serve
- Garnish with watermelon wedges or a lime slice
Watermelon Iced Tea
- Brew a pitcher of your favorite iced tea
- Stir in watermelon syrup to taste, starting with 2-3 tablespoons per 8oz serving
- Add mint leaves, lime wedges or fresh watermelon chunks
Watermelon Mojito Mocktail
- Muddle watermelon chunks and mint leaves in a glass
- Add ice, lime juice and watermelon syrup
- Top with club soda and garnish with lime wedge
Virgin Watermelon Margarita
- Combine lime juice, watermelon syrup and sweetener to taste over ice
- Shake and strain into a salt-rimmed glass
- Garnish with lime slice
Storing Opened Monin Watermelon Syrup
An unopened bottle of Monin watermelon syrup has a shelf life of 24 months. Once opened, proper storage is important for preserving the quality and flavor.
Here are some tips for storing opened watermelon syrup:
- Keep refrigerated – Store opened syrup in the fridge to prevent spoilage
- Use clean utensils – Always use a clean spoon when dispensing to avoid contamination
- Watch for signs of spoilage – Discard if you see mold, changes in texture or an off smell
- Use within 6 months – For best flavor and quality, use up within 6 months of opening
- Store tightly sealed – Keep bottle tightly closed to prevent refrigerator odors from seeping in
- No need to dilute – The syrup’s thickness and sugar content prevent bacterial growth, so dilution is not required
With proper refrigerated storage, the opened syrup should retain optimal taste and potency for at least 6 months.
Possible Allergens in Monin Watermelon Syrup
Monin watermelon syrup contains no major food allergens. According to the company, their products are gluten-free, peanut-free, tree nut-free and soy-free. The syrups are also free of artificial colors, flavors and preservatives.
The main ingredients – watermelon juice concentrate, sugar and citric acid – are unlikely to cause allergic reactions. However, it does contain generic “natural flavors” so severe flavoring-related allergies cannot be ruled out.
Those with fruit-related allergies should exercise caution, as the product is packed with watermelon juice concentrate. Consult your doctor if concerned about a possible reaction.
Despite no allergenic ingredients being used, there is a slight risk of cross-contamination at Monin’s production facility:
- Produced on shared equipment alongside milk, egg and wheat-based syrups
- Made in a factory that also handles peanuts, tree nuts and soy
So those with severe allergies, such as peanut allergy, should be aware. It’s unclear what protocols are in place to prevent cross-contact.
Nutrition Facts for Monin Watermelon Syrup
Monin watermelon syrup has the following nutrition facts per 1 teaspoon (5mL) serving:
As you can see, the syrup is high in natural sugar from the concentrated watermelon juice. There are 20 calories and 5g of sugar in every teaspoon (about 4 teaspoons per tablespoon).
The syrup contains no fat, protein or sodium. The only macronutrient present is carbohydrates in the form of natural sugars.
When added to drinks or desserts, the syrup will increase the calorie and sugar content. So consume in moderation if you are monitoring your sugar intake.
Price of Monin Watermelon Syrup
Monin watermelon syrup typically costs between $8-$12 for a 750mL (25oz) bottle. Here are some examples of standard retail prices:
- Amazon – $8.99 for 750mL
- Walmart – $10.48 for 750mL
- Target – $11.99 for 750mL
- Safeway – $9.49 for 750mL
Prices may be slightly higher or lower depending on the retailer. In general, expect to pay around $1 per fluid ounce.
Buying larger sizes (1 liter or 1.75 liter bottles) tends to lower the per-ounce cost. Food service providers can also purchase Monin syrups at a discounted wholesale rate.
Value for Money
Overall, Monin watermelon syrup offers very good value, considering a little goes a long way. Just a small amount can provide bright, concentrated watermelon flavor to an entire drink.
The 25oz bottle will last through many batches of watermelon lemonade, smoothies, margaritas and other beverages. It’s a smart buy for those who regularly make watermelon drinks.
Where to Buy Monin Watermelon Syrup
Monin watermelon syrup can be purchased at the following locations:
- Harris Teeter
- Food Lion
- Sam’s Club
- Officebeverage.com (for food service)
The syrup can also be found at some coffee shops, smoothie shops, and restaurants that use it for beverage recipes. Check your local cafe menu for specialty drinks containing Monin syrups.
Major retailers like Target, Walgreens and Bed Bath & Beyond may also carry it in their grocery aisles or online.
How to Use Up Leftover Monin Syrup
Don’t let leftover Monin watermelon syrup go to waste! Here are some delicious ways to use up the last bit in the bottle:
- Blend syrup into lemonade, fruit juice or yogurt and freeze in popsicle molds
- Create layers of different colored syrups for striped, fruit-flavored popsicles
- Add chopped fruit like mango or strawberries before freezing for texture
- Stir syrup into overnight oats along with milk, yogurt and vanilla
- Drizzle more on top before eating for extra flavor
- Pair with berries, banana slices or other fruits
- Layer yogurt with syrup-infused granola or fruit
- Mix into Greek yogurt for a creamy treat
- Top with crushed graham crackers, coconut and chopped nuts
- Whisk together syrup, oil, vinegar, mustard, salt and pepper
- Toss with mixed greens, chicken, avocado and tomatoes
- Thin with water to desired consistency
- Blend syrup with Greek yogurt, milk, frozen fruit and ice
- Add spinach or kale for a nutrition boost
- Sweeten further with honey or maple syrup if desired
Frequently Asked Questions
Is Monin syrup gluten-free?
Yes, Monin confirms that all their syrups, including watermelon, are certified gluten-free to below 10ppm.
Does it need to be refrigerated?
Refrigeration is not required before opening. But after opening, it should be stored in the fridge to maintain quality.
What’s the shelf life of an unopened bottle?
Properly stored in a cool, dry place, unopened Monin syrup has a shelf life of 24 months from the manufacturing date.
Can you use it in cocktails containing alcohol?
Yes, the non-alcoholic syrup can be added to cocktails and mixed drinks that contain spirits, wine or other alcohol.
Is Monin syrup vegan?
Monin states that all their syrups are 100% vegan and made without any animal products or byproducts.
Is it non-GMO?
Monin does not claim their syrups to be non-GMO or organic. They likely use conventional sugar and flavors.
Where is Monin syrup manufactured?
Monin is a French company so their syrups are produced in France. The watermelon flavor is made in Bourges, France.
Monin’s watermelon syrup provides a delicious and convenient way to add refreshing melon flavor to beverages and treats. It is an alcohol-free product made from real fruit juice, natural flavors and cane sugar.
The syrup can punch up the taste of lemonades, teas, martinis, margaritas, smoothies and numerous other drinks without overpowering. It also works nicely in yogurt, oatmeal and desserts. A little bit goes a long way thanks to the concentrated flavor.
Monin watermelon syrup is widely available at grocery stores, warehouse clubs and online retailers like Amazon. It offers great value for money considering the many portions it can flavor. Refrigerate after opening and use within 6 months for optimal taste.
So if you love watermelon flavor, Monin’s syrup is an easy way to infuse it into just about any food or beverage imaginable!