Yes, you can absolutely put Torani syrup in soda. Torani syrups are concentrated flavorings that are popular additions to coffee drinks, but they can also be used to add new flavors to sodas, lemonades, Italian sodas, and other carbonated beverages.
What is Torani syrup?
Torani is a brand that makes a wide variety of flavored syrups, including classic flavors like vanilla, caramel, and hazelnut, as well as more unique options like raspberry, apple, mango, and more. The syrups are made from natural flavors and cane sugar, with no artificial ingredients or high fructose corn syrup.
The thick, concentrated syrups are designed to mix into hot and cold beverages to add pronounced flavor. A small amount of Torani syrup goes a long way in transforming the taste of a drink. The syrups are available in bottles around 25 ounces in size.
Benefits of using Torani syrup in soda
There are several advantages to adding Torani syrup to plain soda or carbonated water:
- Adds new and exciting flavors – With dozens of Torani flavors available, the possibilities are endless for inventing your own flavored soda creations.
- Controls sweetness – Many sodas contain high amounts of sugar. Adding Torani allows you to control how sweet your homemade soda will be.
- Customizable – You can tweak flavor combinations and intensity to suit your tastes.
- Economical – Purchasing Torani syrups and adding them to soda water or seltzer at home costs a fraction of buying pre-bottled and flavored sodas.
- Fun for parties or food service – Unique flavored sodas made with Torani can spice up a party or delight restaurant patrons.
How to add Torani to soda
Adding Torani to carbonated drinks is an easy process. Here are some tips:
- Start with a glass filled with ice.
- Pour in the carbonated beverage of your choice – soda, seltzer, lemon-lime soda, ginger ale etc.
- Add between 1⁄2 to 1 tablespoon of Torani syrup, depending on how strong you want the flavor. Start small, you can always add more.
- Stir gently to incorporate the syrup without losing too much of the carbonation.
- Adjust syrup amount to taste. Add more syrup for stronger flavor, less for milder.
- For brightly colored drinks, consider adding a small amount of citrus juice like lemon, lime or orange.
- Decorate your drink with fun garnishes like berries, citrus slices, or fresh herbs.
The basic formula is 1 part Torani syrup to 5 parts soda. But part of the fun is experimenting until you get the perfect ratio for your preferences.
Torani syrup soda flavor ideas
Torani syrups lend themselves to all kinds of unique soda flavors. Get creative and try out some of these flavor combinations:
|Torani Syrup||Soda Mix-In||Garnish Ideas|
|Coconut||Sprite or 7-Up||Pineapple chunk, maraschino cherry|
|Raspberry||Lemon-lime soda||Lemon slice, raspberries|
|Peach||Ginger ale||Peach slice, fresh mint|
|Hazelnut||Cola||Orange slice, cocoa powder|
|Pomegranate||Tonic water||Lime wheel, pomegranate arils|
|Vanilla||Cream soda||Fresh strawberry, vanilla bean|
Let your tastebuds guide you to discover new syrup and soda combinations. The options are endless!
Making Italian sodas with Torani
Italian sodas are a popular coffeehouse treat that can easily be replicated at home with Torani syrup. Try making these refreshing fizzy drinks:
- Basic Italian soda – Add 1-2 tablespoons Torani almond or vanilla syrup to 6-8 ounces chilled club soda or seltzer. Garnish with amaretto-soaked cherries.
- Blood orange Italian soda – Combine 1 tablespoon blood orange Torani with seltzer, splash of cranberry juice and orange slice garnish.
- Blackberry lime Italian soda – Mix blackberry Torani, lime juice and seltzer. Garnish with lime round.
- Pomegranate Italian soda – Add pomegranate Torani and a squeeze of lemon to seltzer. Top with pomegranate seeds.
For a creamy Italian soda, add a splash of half & half or coconut milk to the Torani syrup before adding the soda water.
Making soda floats with Torani
For a decadent treat, turn your Torani-flavored sodas into old-fashioned ice cream floats. Some tasty combinations:
- Root beer float – Root beer soda with vanilla ice cream
- Boston cooler – Vanilla Torani, ginger ale with vanilla ice cream
- Cookies & cream float – Cookies & cream Torani, cola soda with vanilla ice cream
- Banana float – Banana Torani, lemon-lime soda with banana ice cream
Add a large scoop of your favorite ice cream to a Torani soda-filled glass. Top with whipped cream, chocolate shavings or other fun garnishes if desired.
While Torani syrups liven up sodas deliciously, a few precautions are in order:
- Go easy on syrup quantities to avoid an overly sweet drink.
- Consider overall sugar intake. Avoid overconsumption for those monitoring sugar.
- The acidity of some sodas can curdle milk-based syrups like caramel or chocolate. Use half & half or alt milk options.
- Refrigerate drinks made with dairy products to prevent curdling and for food safety.
Storing Torani syrup sodas
For best flavor and safety, drink Torani sodas soon after making them. The syrups and dairy products used have a limited shelf life. To store them briefly:
- Refrigerate Torani sodas within 2 hours of making them.
- Store for no more than 3-4 days as quality declines over time.
- Sodas may lose carbonation the longer they sit.
- Syrup may become bitter if soda separates from syrup.
- Discard any signs of spoilage like flat soda, separation, curdling, odd smells or flavors.
For longer storage, consider making Torani soda syrup concentrates without the soda water. Refrigerate concentrates for up to 2 weeks and add fresh soda as needed.
Torani syrup soda recipes
Once you get the hang of making basic Torani sodas, try out these flavorful recipe ideas:
- Sparkling raspberry limeade – Raspberry Torani, lime juice, lemon-lime soda, fresh raspberries
- Pineapple cream soda – Pineapple Torani, cream soda, pineapple wedge
- Sparkling berry lemonade – Mixed berry Torani, lemon soda, lemon slice
- Mango-tini bubble tea – Mango Torani, lemon-lime soda, mango boba
Soda shop classics
- Old fashioned black cherry cola – Black cherry Torani, cola, orange slice, maraschino cherry
- Vanilla orange cream soda – Vanilla Torani, orange soda, orange twist
- Root beer float soda – Root beer Torani, lemon-lime soda, whipped cream
- Boston cooler – Vanilla Torani, ginger ale, chocolate drizzle
- Decaf mocha soda – Mocha Torani, cola soda, chocolate shavings
- Apricot sparkler – Apricot Torani, lemon-lime soda, apricot halves
- Almond amaretto cream – Almond roca Torani, cream soda, toasted almonds
- Peaches & cream soda – Peach Torani, cream soda, peach slices
Think seasonal and tailor your soda creations to take advantage of the best fruit flavors available year-round.
Making large batches for parties
Torani sodas make fun and unique additions to parties. To prepare soda for a crowd:
- Determine roughly how much soda you’ll need based on party size.
- Make a concentrated Torani syrup by combining 1 cup Torani to 1/4 cup water per 2 liters of finished soda.
- Cool the syrup concentrate and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- To serve, pour syrup concentrate into a pitcher. Add chilled soda water and stir.
- Add ice and any garnishes just before serving.
- Consider making a soda bar so guests can customize their drinks with different Torani flavors.
Torani also works well in large punch bowls. Simply multiply the syrup-to-soda ratio, then add ice and garnishes.
Where to buy Torani syrups
Torani syrups are easy to find in a range of flavors at grocery stores, coffee shops and online retailers including:
- Grocery chains like Safeway, Kroger, Publix, Ralphs and more
- Club stores such as Costco and Sam’s Club
- Coffee product retailers like Bed Bath & Beyond and Sur La Table
- Online at Amazon, Walmart.com and Torani’s website
- Craft and specialty food shops
- Coffeehouses like Starbucks, Peet’s and Caribou Coffee
Torani sells their syrups in 25 ounce and 750 mL glass bottles as well as convenient 4-ounce plastic squeeze bottles. Torani also offers sugar-free versions for calorie-free flavoring.
Torani syrups offer an easy way to give boring sodas a flavor kick. Their concentrated syrups mix into sparkling waters, sodas, Italian sodas, floats and other drinks to liven them up deliciously. With endless flavor options and simple mixing, Torani allows you to create customized sodas to please any palate. Try out flavor combinations until you find your favorites.