Smoothies have become an increasingly popular healthy food and drink option over the past decade. Packed with fruits, vegetables, and other nutritious ingredients, smoothies provide a convenient way to get some of your daily recommended intake of important vitamins and minerals. One popular smoothie option at many juice bars and cafes is the Blue Machine smoothie. But what exactly is in this vibrant blue beverage? Let’s take a closer look at the ingredients that make up this fan favorite.
The Base: Fruit and Juices
The base of most smoothies, including the Blue Machine, starts with fruit and fruit juices. These ingredients provide the smoothie with natural sweetness and plenty of nutrients like vitamin C, antioxidants, and fiber. The Blue Machine smoothie contains a few key fruit ingredients:
- Bananas – Bananas are the foundation of most smoothies because they provide creaminess and natural sweetness. Most Blue Machine smoothie recipes call for at least one whole banana as the base.
- Pineapple – Pineapple adds tangy tropical flavor to the Blue Machine smoothie. Pineapple contains bromelain, an enzyme with anti-inflammatory properties.
- Blueberry juice – What gives the Blue Machine its vivid blue color is, unsurprisingly, blueberry juice. Blueberry juice packs a concentrated punch of antioxidants.
- Orange juice – A small amount of orange juice is also typically added both for flavor and as an additional source of vitamin C.
In addition to fruit, some Blue Machine smoothie recipes also include coconut water or aloe vera juice to add hydration and electrolytes.
Protein is what helps make a smoothie a satisfying, filling snack or light meal rather than just an extra sugary drink. The protein in the Blue Machine smoothie comes from:
- Greek yogurt – Non-fat plain Greek yogurt provides a healthy dose of protein as well as probiotics for gut health.
- Whey protein powder – Whey protein, usually unflavored, helps thicken the smoothie and boost its protein content with minimal added sugars.
You’ll usually find about 20-30g of protein in a Blue Machine smoothie, making it a great post-workout recovery drink.
Don’t be afraid of the fat in this smoothie! It gets healthy fats from:
- Almond butter – A dollop of almond butter provides filling fats and fiber.
- Chia seeds – These tiny seeds pack omega-3 fatty acids, protein, and fiber.
- Flaxseeds – Like chia seeds, flaxseeds add anti-inflammatory fats, fiber, and nutrients.
These plant-based fats help keep you full longer after drinking the smoothie.
In addition to the ingredients above, the Blue Machine smoothie often contains extra “superfood” mix-ins to increase its nutrient value. Some of the most common extras include:
- Spinach – Raw spinach adds nutrients like vitamin K, folate, manganese and vitamin A.
- Spirulina powder – This blue-green algae is full of antioxidants, protein, vitamins and minerals.
- Wheatgrass – Wheatgrass provides a variety of vitamins, minerals and plant compounds like chlorophyll.
- Maca powder – Maca is an adaptogen claimed to help balance hormones and increase energy.
- Bee pollen – Bee pollen contains over 200 bioactive substances including protein, amino acids, vitamins, and minerals.
These boost the smoothie’s antioxidant content and provide an extra health kick.
To balance out any tartness from the fruit and greens, most Blue Machine smoothies include a small amount of added sweetener. Options include:
- Maple syrup
Added sugars should be minimal, however, as the fruit provides enough sweetness on its own. Using full-fat coconut milk also enhances the smoothie’s creaminess and flavor.
To achieve the right smooth, drinkable consistency, the Blue Machine is blended up with a liquid base. This is usually:
- Almond milk – Low in calories but high in vitamins like vitamin E.
- Coconut water – Hydrating with electrolytes like potassium and magnesium.
The liquid binds all the ingredients together into a refreshing drink you can enjoy on the go.
Sample Blue Machine Smoothie Recipe
While ingredients can vary, here is one standard Blue Machine smoothie recipe to try:
- 1 banana
- 1 cup pineapple chunks
- 1 cup blueberries
- 1/4 cup blueberry juice
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1/4 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons whey protein powder
- 1 tablespoon almond butter
- 1 teaspoon chia seeds
- 1 teaspoon flaxseeds
- Handful of spinach
- 1 teaspoon spirulina powder
- 1 teaspoon maca powder
- 1 teaspoon bee pollen
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1/2 cup coconut water
- Add the banana, pineapple, blueberries, juices, Greek yogurt, whey protein, almond butter, chia seeds, flaxseeds, spinach, spirulina powder, maca powder and bee pollen to a high speed blender.
- Blend on high until smooth.
- Add the honey, almond milk and coconut water.
- Blend again until fully incorporated and smooth.
- Pour into a glass and enjoy!
Benefits of the Blue Machine Smoothie
Why is the Blue Machine smoothie so popular? Here are some of the key benefits you can expect to gain from this nutritious blend:
- Protein for muscle recovery: With 20-30g of protein, it makes a great post-workout recovery drink to rebuild muscle.
- Antioxidants for immunity: All the fresh fruits and veggies provide vitamin C and other antioxidants to support immune function.
- Fiber and probiotics for digestion: The combination of fiber from the fruits, greens, and seeds along with the probiotics in the Greek yogurt support healthy digestion.
- Energy boost: Natural carbohydrates from the fruit combined with healthy fats provide sustained energy.
- Hydration: The smoothie’s liquid base replenishes fluids and electrolytes lost during exercise.
- Brain function: Ingredients like blueberries and omega-3 fats support focus and cognition.
Drinking a Blue Machine smoothie is an easy way to pack nutrients, hydration, and energy into your day!
Customizing Your Blue Machine
One of the great things about smoothies is you can customize them to your tastes and needs. Try out some of these Blue Machine smoothie add-in ideas:
- Cacao nibs – For chocolate flavor and antioxidants
- Cacao powder – To make it a chocolate-banana smoothie
- Cinnamon – To add warmth and spice
- Nut butter – For extra protein and healthy fats (try almond or peanut butter)
- Seeds – Such as chia, hemp, or pumpkin for fiber and nutrients
- Oats – For extra thickness, fiber, and minerals like manganese
- Plant-based milk – Such as oat or cashew milk to make it dairy-free
- Vanilla – A dash of vanilla extract enhances the flavor
- Ice – To make it more of a frosty smoothie bowl
- Green powders – Like wheatgrass, matcha, or moringa for extra antioxidants
Feel free to tweak the Blue Machine recipe to come up with your own perfect version!
Blue Machine Smoothie FAQs
Is the Blue Machine smoothie good for weight loss?
The Blue Machine can be an excellent contribution to a weight loss diet. It provides filling protein, fiber, and healthy fats while being relatively low in calories. The nutrients will help keep you satisfied and energized versus hungry. Just be mindful of any added sugars.
Can I make a Blue Machine smoothie without yogurt?
Yes, for a dairy-free option you can use a vegan yogurt alternative such as coconut or almond yogurt. You can also boost the protein by adding an extra scoop of protein powder or more nut butter.
How long does a Blue Machine smoothie keep?
For maximum freshness and nutritional value, try to drink your Blue Machine smoothie soon after blending. It will typically stay good for at least 24 hours if kept refrigerated in an airtight container. Give it a shake or stir before drinking to recombine any separation.
Can I freeze Blue Machine smoothie packs?
It’s a great idea to batch prep smoothie packs for busy mornings! Measure out your ingredients and layer them in individual freezer bags. Exclude fresh juices and liquids. Thaw overnight in the fridge then add liquids and blend to create a frozen smoothie.
Is the Blue Machine smoothie good for kids?
This kid-friendly smoothie is a great way to get some extra nutrition into picky eaters. Focus on fruits they like such as bananas and pineapple. You can reduce or omit certain ingredients like wheatgrass, maca, and spices that some kids may not enjoy.
The Bottom Line
With its appetizing blue color, creamy texture, and stellar nutrition profile, the Blue Machine smoothie has earned its status as a much-loved smoothie variety. Packed with fruits, vegetables, protein, healthy fats, and superfood additions like spirulina and maca powder, it provides a major nutritional punch in one convenient drink. Customize your Blue Machine smoothie to your own tastes and needs, and enjoy this energizing snack or light meal anytime.