Jimmy Dean is a popular brand of pre-cooked sausages and breakfast sandwiches. Their products are staples in many households due to their convenience and taste. When watching your calorie intake, you may wonder – how many calories are in Jimmy Dean’s sausages? Here are some quick answers:
Regular Pork Sausage Patties
Jimmy Dean Regular Pork Sausage Patties contain 190 calories per 2 oz patty. So a full patty (about 4 oz) contains approximately 380 calories.
Turkey Sausage Patties
Jimmy Dean Turkey Sausage Patties contain 150 calories per 2 oz patty. A full 4 oz patty contains about 300 calories.
Maple Flavored Pork Sausage Links
Jimmy Dean Maple Flavored Pork Sausage Links contain 230 calories per 2 links (56g). So 4 links would contain about 460 calories.
Fully Cooked Original Pork Sausage Links
Jimmy Dean’s Fully Cooked Original Pork Sausage Links contain 180 calories per 2 links (44g). Therefore, 4 links contain approximately 360 calories.
Hot Italian Style Pork Sausage Links
Jimmy Dean Hot Italian Style Pork Sausage Links contain 210 calories per 2 links (56g). So 4 links provide about 420 calories.
Smoked Maple Flavored Links
Jimmy Dean Smoked Maple Flavored Pork Sausage Links have 200 calories per 2 links (56g). As a result, 4 links would come out to about 400 calories.
Fully Cooked Sweet Applewood Smoked Sausage
Jimmy Dean’s Fully Cooked Sweet Applewood Smoked Sausage contains 140 calories per 2 oz link. That means a 4 oz link would have 280 calories.
Jimmy Dean Precooked Roll Sausage contains 300 calories per 3 oz (85g) serving. So a full roll sausage of roughly 6 oz would be about 600 calories.
Jimmy Dean Sausage Biscuits with Pork Sausage contain 330 calories per sandwich. The sandwiches with turkey sausage have 300 calories each.
Jimmy Dean Breakfast Bowls range from 290 calories for the bowl with turkey sausage to 360 calories for the bowl with bacon and Cheddar cheese.
Calories in Jimmy Dean breakfast sandwiches range from 300-400 depending on variety. For example:
- Sausage, Egg & Cheese Biscuit: 370 calories
- Bacon, Egg & Cheese Croissant: 390 calories
- Turkey Sausage, Egg White & Cheese Sandwich: 300 calories
In summary, calories in Jimmy Dean sausage products range from 140-380 calories for a standard 2-4 oz sausage patty or 2-4 links. Smaller sausages and breakfast sandwiches are in the 300 calorie range. Larger fully cooked sausage rolls contain up to 600 calories.
When enjoying delicious Jimmy Dean sausages, be mindful of portion sizes to keep calories in check. Compare nutrition labels and choose lower calorie varieties like turkey sausage when possible. Balance intake with exercise to maintain healthy habits.
Nutrition Information for Popular Jimmy Dean Sausage Products
Here are some more detailed nutrition facts on common Jimmy Dean sausage products:
|Total Fat (g)
|Pork Sausage Patties
|1 patty (57g)
|Turkey Sausage Patties
|1 patty (57g)
|Maple Pork Sausage Links
|2 links (56g)
|Original Pork Links
|2 links (44g)
|1 oz (28g)
As you can see, the main sources of calories in Jimmy Dean sausage comes from fat and protein. Lower fat varieties like turkey sausage have fewer calories. Per ounce, the roll sausage is one of the lowest calorie options.
Factors Affecting Calories in Jimmy Dean Sausages
There are a few main factors that impact the number of calories in Jimmy Dean’s sausages:
Type of Meat
Pork sausage generally has more fat and calories than turkey or chicken sausage. Pork sausage contains around 100 calories per ounce compared to around 80 calories per ounce for turkey or chicken sausage.
Jimmy Dean makes different types of sausages including raw, pre-cooked, smoked, and fully-cooked. Fully cooked sausages tend to have more calories since cooking can cause fat loss. Pre-cooked sausages have fewer calories since some fat cooks out before packaging.
Larger sausages, more links, or multiple patties will increase the calories. Paying attention to serving sizes on the nutrition label is key.
Varieties with added flavors like maple, applewood smoke, or Cheddar cheese tend to have slightly more calories than original pork sausage.
Tips for Enjoying Jimmy Dean Sausage While Managing Calories
Here are some tips to keep in mind when eating Jimmy Dean sausages to help control calorie intake:
- Compare nutrition labels and choose lower calorie options like turkey sausage or pre-cooked links when possible.
- Pay attention to serving sizes and stick to single patty or 2-link portions.
- Measure sausage before cooking instead of relying on package weight to determine servings.
- Avoid adding high calorie toppings like cheese, gravy, or bacon to sausage sandwiches or breakfast bowls.
- Eat sausages alongside low calorie sides like eggs, fruit, or oatmeal instead of biscuits or hash browns.
- Drink water with your meal instead of juice or sugary drinks.
- Balance intake with exercise to allow for occasional indulgences.
Healthy Low Calorie Jimmy Dean Sausage Recipes
You can also make some healthy adjustments to recipes using Jimmy Dean sausage to reduce the calorie content. Here are a few ideas:
Turkey Sausage Scramble
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 Jimmy Dean lean turkey sausage patty, crumbled
- 3 eggs
- 1/4 cup diced onion
- 1/4 cup diced red bell pepper
- 1/4 cup baby spinach
- 1 tbsp shredded low-fat cheddar cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add turkey sausage and cook 3-4 minutes until browned.
- Push sausage to edges of pan. Add onions and bell pepper to center and cook 1-2 minutes until tender.
- Whisk eggs in a bowl. Pour into skillet and cook, stirring occasionally until set. Stir in spinach.
- Remove from heat. Add cheese and season with salt and pepper.
This lean turkey sausage scramble has around 300 calories per serving and 25g of protein.
Zucchini Sausage Patties
- 1 lb lean ground turkey
- 1 zucchini, shredded
- 1/4 cup whole wheat bread crumbs
- 1 egg
- 2 tbsp Jimmy Dean Hot Italian Style sausage, removed from casing
- 1/4 tsp each garlic powder, onion powder, Italian seasoning
- In a bowl, combine all ingredients and mix well.
- Form into 4 equal patties.
- Spray skillet with oil and cook patties over medium-high heat for 4-5 minutes per side until browned and cooked through.
Adding zucchini to the sausage patties increases the fiber and nutrients while lowering the calories to around 200 per patty.
Healthier Ways to Enjoy Jimmy Dean Sausage
In addition to the recipes above, here are some other healthy cooking tips for enjoying Jimmy Dean sausage:
- Cut sausage into smaller pieces and add to salads for a protein boost
- Use half the amount of sausage called for in pasta sauce or pizza recipes
- Wrap in a lettuce leaf or stuff into a pepper instead of a bun or biscuit
- Add to omelets or frittatas instead of higher fat meats like bacon
- Mix with riced cauliflower instead of potatoes for a lower carb hash
- Enjoy with a side salad instead of starchy sides to balance the meal
Choosing the right cooking methods and ingredients can help enjoy the delicious taste of Jimmy Dean sausage in a healthier way while controlling calorie intake.