Some quick answers to how to easily store a necklace include:
- Use a jewelry armoire or drawer inserts
- Hang necklaces on a jewelry tree stand
- Store in individual small boxes or pouches
- Use a hanging jewelry organizer
- Roll up necklaces and store in a drawer
The easiest and most convenient way to store necklaces depends on factors like space available, number of necklaces, and personal preference. Read on for more details on the pros and cons of different necklace storage solutions.
One of the most popular ways to store necklaces is in a jewelry armoire or chest. These pieces of furniture are designed specifically for storing jewelry and feature a number of small drawers, hooks, and lined storage areas to keep necklaces and other jewelry organized and untangled.
Benefits of using a jewelry armoire include:
- Keeps jewelry protected from dust and other environmental elements
- Allows you to store necklaces lying flat to prevent kinks
- Offers designated storage spots for different types of jewelry
- Can store necklaces along with rings, earrings, bracelets, etc.
- Comes in a furniture piece that can complement room decor
The drawbacks of jewelry armoires are that they take up a good amount of space and can be more expensive than other jewelry storage options. However, for those with a large jewelry collection a nice armoire is usually a worthwhile investment.
Tips for Using a Jewelry Armoire
If using an armoire, here are some tips to utilize it effectively:
– Store delicate necklaces in lined drawers to prevent snagging
– Use hooks on the inside of doors to hang chunkier necklaces
– Place felt or small boxes inside drawers to separate pieces
– Group necklaces together by style or color
– Wrap chains in tissue to prevent tangling
– Clean out drawers periodically to remove dust and debris
Jewelry Drawer Inserts
For those short on space, a more compact option is to use jewelry drawer inserts. These can be placed in an existing dresser or closet drawer to create customized compartments for storing necklaces and other jewelry.
The main benefits of jewelry drawer inserts include:
- Takes up very little space
- Can be placed inside a drawer you already have
- Allows you to organize by jewelry type or color
- Protects delicate jewelry from scratches
- Very affordable option
The downside is drawer inserts likely won’t have room to accommodate a very large jewelry collection. But they work perfectly for small to medium collections.
Tips for Using Jewelry Drawer Inserts
To make the most of drawer inserts:
– Choose an insert with many small compartments
– Use dividers to separate necklaces from other jewelry
– Place tissue or foam between coils to prevent tangling
– Layer necklaces inside compartments if needed
– Designate a compartment for each necklace type
– Clean periodically to remove accumulated dirt and oils
Jewelry Tree Stand
Jewelry tree stands provide an easy way to neatly organize and display necklaces for daily use. Necklaces are draped over the hooks, branches or rods on the stand so they hang visibly.
The pros of using a jewelry tree include:
- Displays necklaces attractively
- Allows you to see all your options at a glance
- Takes up minimal space on a dresser or vanity
- Easy to access necklaces when getting ready
- Comes in many stylish designs
The downsides are that gravity can cause delicate necklace chains and clasps to become misshapen over time. Trees also don’t fully protect necklaces from dust.
Tips for Using a Jewelry Tree
When using a jewelry tree stand, follow these tips:
– Place chunkier necklaces on lower branches
– Hang more delicate pieces towards the top
– Avoid overcrowding branches to prevent tangling
– Consider weighting clasps to reduce strain on chains
– Store most valuable necklaces in another spot
– Periodically clean tree to remove dirt and oils
Individual Boxes or Pouches
For special or delicate necklaces, storing inside individual cloth pouches or jewelry gift boxes is a smart idea. This protects each piece from damage while keeping them separated to prevent tangling.
Benefits of individual necklace storage containers include:
- Provides scratch-free storage for delicate chains
- Allows you to easily identify each necklace
- Keeps pieces organized and untangled
- Lets you stack containers in a drawer to save space
- Available in inexpensive cloth or plastic versions
The main drawback is that boxes and pouches take up more space than some other storage methods. However, they are great for storing your most prized necklaces safely.
Tips for Using Boxes and Pouches
Follow these tips when storing necklaces this way:
– Choose sized pouches that fit each necklace
– Write necklace descriptions on the outside
– Layer pouches in a shallow drawer vertically
– Wrap delicate chains in tissue before placing in pouch
– Clean pouches periodically with a small brush
– Store boxes flat in stacks to maximize space
Hanging Jewelry Organizer
A hanging jewelry organizer provides a convenient storage solution that can be hung in a closet, on a door, or mounted on a wall. It features small hooks and compartments for storing necklaces visibly and accessibly.
The benefits of a hanging organizer include:
- Allows you to see all necklaces at a glance
- Can hang on wall, door, or inside a closet
- Provides designated storage spots for each piece
- Very portable and movable
- Comes in many affordable styles and sizes
The main limitation is capacity. Hanging organizers work best for small to medium collections. Necklaces can also become tangled if crowded too closely together.
Tips for Using Hanging Organizers
To use a hanging jewelry organizer effectively:
– Hang in a closet or on a wall near a mirror
– Designate each compartment or hook for one necklace
– Use small bags or boxes in compartments for added protection
– Prevent crowding hooks too close together
– Store your most delicate necklaces in another spot
– Dust compartments periodically with a small brush
Rolled Up in Drawer
For those with minimal storage space, rolling up necklaces loosely and storing them in a drawer is an ultra-simple option. This keeps necklaces untangled and protected fairly well.
The pros of rolling up necklaces include:
- Doesn’t require any supplies or extra storage piece
- Prevents necklaces from becoming knotted
- Allows you to see all necklace options in one spot
- Can easily access necklaces when needed
- Keeps necklaces hidden away in a drawer
The downsides are that necklaces can still rub against each other and get tangled. It also doesn’t offer as much protection or organization as other methods.
Tips for Rolling Necklaces
If storing necklaces rolled up in a drawer, follow these tips:
– Use a wide, shallow drawer to provide room
– Place necklaces in individually to prevent initial tangling
– Try to group similar length necklaces together
– Wrap delicate chains in tissue before rolling
– Unroll necklaces gently to access and avoid kinks
– Re-roll necklaces loosely after each use
Displayed on Shelves
Those who want to proudly display their necklace collection can do so neatly on open shelves or in glass cabinets. This creates an attractive display while keeping necklaces untangled and protected from dust.
The benefits of open necklace displays include:
- Allows you to showcase your collection
- Lets you view all necklace options easily
- Can be styled decoratively
- Keeps necklaces separate to prevent tangling
- Easy to access necklaces when needed
The downsides are that visible dust can collect quickly and sunlight can damage delicate materials over time. But occasional dusting and positioning shelves away from windows helps.
Tips for Necklace Displays
To display necklaces on shelves elegantly:
– Choose shelves lined with felt or velvet
– Use dividers to organize necklaces by type
– Loop necklaces loosely around dividers
– Display pendant necklaces hanging on stands
– Avoid overcrowding shelves
– Dust shelves every week or two
– Store ultra-delicate necklaces separately
When selecting the best necklace storage solution, here are some key factors to consider:
More delicate materials like thin gold chains, pearls, opals, etc. need extra protection from scratches, knots, and dust. Prioritize wrapped or compartment storage for these. Heartier necklaces can withstand hanging, rolling, and basic display methods.
Assess the amount of space you have available for storage. Solutions like armoires need substantial space while travel rolls, pouches or boxes are great for tight spaces.
Size of Collection
If you only have a few go-to necklaces, simple rolling or a hanging organizer is sufficient. Large collections require more substantial furniture or display storage.
Frequency of Use
Necklaces you wear often are best stored in a more accessible spot like a tree, hanging organizer or display. Necklaces used rarely can be tucked away in pouches or boxes.
Consider your visual preference – do you want necklaces displayed decoratively or prefer them stored out of sight? Display shelves or trees offer a pretty look while pouches keep necklaces hidden.
If you need to transport necklaces when traveling, pouches, boxes, or travel rolls are ideal. Jewelry inserts and displays are better for stationary storage.
Simple storage solutions like rolling necklaces in a drawer is free while large armoires can cost several hundred dollars. Set a reasonable budget for your storage needs.
Storing necklaces properly helps protect them from damage while keeping them organized and untangled. The best storage solution for you depends on your needs and lifestyle. Small collections do well in simple rolls, organizers or inserts while large collections benefit from armoires, shelves, or displays.
Match your storage method to your space availability, budget, how often you access necklaces, and the materials involved. With the right storage solution, you can keep cherished necklaces safe and enjoy them for many years to come. Finding an approach that works with your space and needs takes a little trial and error but is worth it for keeping your beautiful necklaces in great shape.