Monin mint syrup is a flavored syrup made by the French company Monin. It comes in a variety of mint flavors like peppermint, spearmint, and more. The syrup is commonly used to add mint flavor to coffee drinks, smoothies, milkshakes, and cocktails.
What flavors does Monin mint syrup come in?
Monin makes several different mint flavored syrups:
- Peppermint – This is made with natural peppermint oil and has a refreshing candy cane flavor.
- Spearmint – Spearmint has a sweeter, milder flavor than peppermint. Monin’s spearmint syrup captures this delicate minty taste.
- Mint – Monin’s regular mint syrup has a balanced mint flavor, not too sweet.
- White chocolate mint – This combines mint with sweet white chocolate.
- Dark chocolate mint – The chocolate flavor is stronger and darker in this syrup.
- Ginger mint – Ginger adds some spice to the mint in this syrup.
- Mojito mint – Inspired by the rum cocktail, this mint syrup has lime notes.
So whether you prefer the bracing taste of peppermint or the more subtle spearmint, Monin has a mint syrup for you. The different flavors allow you to customize drinks to your perfect level of mintiness.
What drinks can you make with Monin mint syrup?
Here are some popular ways to use Monin’s mint syrups:
Mint Coffee Drinks
Add a shot of mint syrup to your regular coffee, latte, cappuccino or iced coffee for a refreshing twist. The mint pairs especially nicely with chocolate and mocha flavors. You can also use mint syrups to make mint mochas or mint chip frappes.
Stir some mint syrup into hot tea or iced tea for a comforting mint-infused sip. The syrup can be combined with black tea, green tea, herbal tea and more.
Smoothies and Milkshakes
Blend mint syrup into your smoothies or milkshakes for a blast of minty goodness. It goes well with fruit flavors like banana, strawberry and mango. Mint also complements chocolate and vanilla shakes.
The mojito mint syrup can easily be turned into mojito cocktails. Add the syrup along with rum, lime juice and soda water. Other mint syrups can also spice up drinks like juleps, smashes and vodka cocktails.
Stir a spoonful or two of mint syrup into icing or whipped cream to top cakes, brownies, cupcakes, ice cream and more. The syrup provides a nice minty flavor without any bitterness.
As you can see, Monin’s mint syrups are very versatile. They make it quick and easy to add refreshing mint flavor to all kinds of hot and cold drinks, desserts and baked goods.
What are the key ingredients in Monin mint syrup?
Monin mint syrup contains four main ingredients:
- Sugar – The syrup gets its sweetness from sugar. The type and amount varies between flavors.
- Water – The main liquid component is water.
- Mint flavoring – Natural and artificial mint flavors like peppermint oil provide the mint taste.
- Preservatives – Preservatives like citric acid and sodium benzoate keep the syrup fresh.
Monin uses natural mint extracts to give the syrups their authentic minty flavor. The sugar content makes the syrups very sweet, so just a small amount (like 1-2 pumps or teaspoons) is all you need to add bold mint flavor to a drink.
Is Monin mint syrup gluten-free and vegan?
Yes, Monin confirms that all their mint syrups are gluten-free, dairy-free, and vegan. They do not contain any ingredients derived from animals. This makes Monin mint syrups a good option for people who follow a vegan or gluten-free diet.
What size bottles does Monin mint syrup come in?
You can buy Monin mint syrup in a few different sizes:
- 750 mL (25.4 oz) – This large retail bottle is meant for using at home or cafe.
- 1 L (33.8 oz) – The liter size is also sold for retail use.
- 10 L bag-in-box – This large format is for professional/commercial use in bars and restaurants.
- 200 mL disposable pouches – These smaller pouches are convenient for adding to drinks on-the-go.
The 750 mL and 1 L bottles are a good choice for most home kitchens. The large bag-in-box is more economical for businesses. And the single-serve pouches let you take mint syrup anywhere.
Does Monin mint syrup need to be refrigerated?
Monin recommends refrigerating their syrups after opening for best quality. The low temperature helps maintain the syrup’s flavor and prevent microbial growth. An opened bottle of Monin mint syrup will generally last 3-4 weeks when properly refrigerated.
However, the syrup can be stored at room temperature before opening. So it is fine keep a brand new, unopened bottle in your pantry. But once you crack the seal, refrigerate it.
How long does unopened Monin mint syrup last?
An unopened, properly stored bottle of Monin mint syrup will typically last 12-24 months past the ‘best by’ date printed on the label. So check this date when you purchase the syrup to understand its expiration timeframe.
As long as the seal remains intact, the syrup’s quality should remain high for well over a year from when it was made. The expiration date takes into account the syrup’s natural deterioration over time.
Does Monin mint syrup go bad?
Yes, opened Monin mint syrup can go bad eventually if not handled properly. Signs of spoiled mint syrup include:
- Changes in consistency – It may become thicker and stringy or separate into layers
- Changes in color – The syrup could darken or fade
- Mold growth – You may see fuzzy mold somewhere in the bottle
- Off odors – It gives off strange smells instead of its fresh mint aroma
- Off flavors – The syrup simply doesn’t taste right anymore
As long as it’s refrigerated after opening, Monin mint syrup normally lasts 3-4 weeks before going bad. But if you notice any of the above signs, it’s best to toss the syrup to be safe.
What is the best way to store Monin mint syrup?
To get the longest life out of your Monin mint syrup, follow these storage tips:
- Before opening – Store in a cool, dry pantry away from heat and sunlight.
- After opening – Refrigerate in a tightly sealed bottle to preserve freshness.
- Use clean utensils – Always use a clean spoon to scoop out syrup to prevent contamination.
- Watch for signs of spoilage – Discard if you see mold, changes in texture or smell, etc.
- Don’t let it freeze – The bottle could explode and the syrup’s texture may change.
With proper storage both before and after opening, a bottle of Monin mint syrup can retain its delicious flavor for months and months.
What are some substitutions for Monin mint syrup?
If you don’t have Monin mint syrup, here are a few possible substitutes to try in your drinks and recipes:
- Homemade mint simple syrup – Steep fresh mint leaves in a simple syrup of sugar and water.
- Other mint syrup brands – Torani and DaVinci both make mint syrups too.
- Mint extract + simple syrup – Add mint extract to plain simple syrup to taste.
- Mint leaves – Use fresh mint leaves to infuse drinks with mint flavor.
- Peppermint schnapps – The liqueur provides a nice minty kick in cocktails.
While Monin syrup offers consistent flavor and convenience, in a pinch you can improvise with items like fresh mint, extracts and other brands. Just adjust the amounts as needed to get the intensity of mint flavor you desire.
What drinks pair well with Monin mint syrup?
Here are some delicious drink ideas that pair nicely with Monin’s mint syrups:
Mint Hot Chocolate
The sweet mint balances wonderfully with rich melted chocolate. Top with whipped cream.
Mint Chip Milkshake
Blend mint syrup with vanilla ice cream and chocolate chips for a creamy, decadent shake.
Mix the mojito mint syrup with rum, lime juice and soda water for a refreshing classic cocktail.
Matcha Green Tea Latte
The earthy matcha and invigorating mint make an amazing flavor combo in warm or iced latte form.
Watermelon Mint Agua Fresca
For a unique blend, add mint to fresh watermelon juice along with lime and sugar.
Stir together mint syrup, bourbon, and a splash of water for a smooth Southern julep.
Mint syrup can elevate so many beverages. Try it in your usual coffee drinks, tea, lemonades, shakes and more to liven things up.
What desserts work well with Monin mint syrup?
Monin’s mint syrups can add a refreshing flavor boost to all kinds of sweet treats. Here are some dessert ideas to try:
Mint Chip Ice Cream
Add some mint syrup to vanilla ice cream along with chocolate chips for homemade mint chip.
Mix crème de menthe and white chocolate mint syrups into the filling and whipped cream topping for this cool pie.
Stir peppermint syrup into melted chocolate, then break into pieces once hardened for fancy bark candy.
Fold some mint syrup into your favorite brownie batter recipe before baking for fudgy minty brownies.
Mint Chocolate Cupcakes
Frost chocolate cupcakes with a fluffy mint buttercream made with mint syrup for a delicious combo.
Top your mint chip shake with whipped cream and a drizzle of mint syrup – dessert in a glass!
With endless sweet treats to mint-ify, you’ll never get bored experimenting with new candy, cookie, cake and ice cream recipes.
Monin mint syrup is a versatile and convenient way to add refreshing mint flavor to beverages, baked goods, candy and more. With natural mint extracts and many flavor options like peppermint and spearmint, it makes customizing mint intensity easy. Use Monin’s mint syrups to craft crowd-pleasing drinks, milkshakes, cocktails, and treats. Just refrigerate after opening and use clean utensils to ensure your bottle lasts. With proper storage and care, Monin syrups can retain their aroma and taste for months of enjoyment.