Kids themed birthday parties are the “IT thing” nowadays. From Paw Patrol and Peppa the Pig to Princesses and Unicorns, you’ll see everything. But, when you organize that kind of party that means everything, literally everything, must be in tune with the theme.
So why don’t you elevate your kid’s next birthday party by choosing the unicorn theme and surprising them with a giant unicorn donut cake? I guarantee you they will lose their cool over it! You can’t go wrong with this, it is super cute looking, tasty, and easy to make, even if you aren’t so skilled in baking.
Unicorn Donuts Cake Calorie
The nutrition facts per serving mainly depend on which type of batter and glaze you will use. For cake donuts, you are going to use buttermilk instead of regular milk (or maybe even plant milk) your donuts will be higher in fat and calories. You see my point.
The glaze is based on sugar, milk, and chocolate so if you don’t switch to some healthier versions you can’t expect them to be less caloric. However, usually, a one unicorn donut cake has around 340 calories, with 70 grams of carbs, 10 grams of fat, and 5 grams of protein.
This isn’t so bad, in fact, you can allow your kids from time to time to have this as a treat.
How To Make Unicorn Cake Donuts
If the unicorn craze didn’t hit your household yet, you might be thinking that this fun food is complicated to make, but you are wrong. Donut cakes are easy for making just like cupcakes for example. Just follow the simple instructions that I will share here with you.
All you need to do is make your favorite cake donut batter, regular white glaze, and all the food color shades that exist in this world. You’ll need a bit of creativity and imagination for decoration and a piping bag.
Don’t fret just release the kid inside of you and you’ll actually have a blast making these little sugar nuggets.
Oh yes, I almost forget to mention that you can make one giant donut cake or you can make a lot of small ones. So you’ll either need one large donut-shaped pan or a mini donut pan. Shall we go over the list of ingredients now?
Ingredients you will need
There are plenty of donut recipes and all of them are good, but I still prefer this traditional cake donut recipe that never fails me.
Ingredients for a delicious donut cake batter:
- 2 cups of cake flour (you can use white cake mix if you don’t want to make it from scratch)
- 2 large eggs
- 3/4 cup of granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons of baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
Ingredients for the glaze and decoration:
- 3 cups of confectioners’ sugar (powder sugar)
- 1/4 cup of regular milk
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 4 ounces of white chocolate for drizzling
- Food coloring for frosting
- Sprinkles for garnishing
Step-by-step on how to make unicorn donuts
Now the process is rather simple, I know that most of you already made cake donuts before. You should know that there are two ways to make these colorful treats.
You can leave the batter white and only decorate donuts with colorful frosting. Or you can go all the way with the colors and divide the batter into different bowls and color it in different shades. This way you mix different color batters in a pan and bake a rainbow color donut. It is your choice.
- The first step is to preheat your oven to 375 degrees while you make the batter;
- Grease up your pan or pans with vegetable oil and you can also lightly sprinkle it with flour or powdered sugar to prevent sticking;
- Prepare all your ingredients in one place;
- In a large mixing bowl mix sifted dry ingredients like flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt;
- In a second bowl mix wet ingredients such as buttermilk, eggs, melted butter, and vanilla extract. You can mix it with a hand mixer or by hand;
- Now it is time to add a mixture of wet ingredients into dry ingredients and stir it well until you achieve a smooth texture without any lumps;
- If you want colorful batter this is when you will separate the mixture into different bowls and color them until you get a shade you desire;
- Fill a piping bag with batter (or a few piping bags with different color batters) and pipe the batter into a donut pan;
- Bake them until they become golden and fluffy, depending on your oven it will take approximately 10 to 12 minutes;
- Take them out and let them rest for a few minutes in the baking pan, then invert them on a cooling wire rack since they must be completely cooled off before glazing;
- While they are chilling on the rack, you can mix the glaze by adding all ingredients in the bowl and mixing it well. Divide it into multiple bowls and add colors of your choice;
- Once your donuts are cool, dip each cake donut in a different color glaze and put it back on the cooling rack until the glaze settles down;
- Now you can drizzle your donuts with other color glazes, sprinkles, and melted white chocolate and that is it. A pro tip is to place the wax paper under the wire rack to make less mess. You can serve them immediately or you can leave them on the counter.
How do I store my unicorn donuts?
You can store them just as any other donuts, in an airtight container on the countertop for approximately 1 to 3 days. In case it is too hot place them in a freezer since they contain milk and eggs.
If you have leftovers you can put them in the bags and freeze them. They will be okay for the next 3 months.
How much time does it take to make these cake donuts?
You will need approximately 40 minutes for this recipe. For the batter, you’ll need 5 minutes in preparation and 10 minutes for mixing. Another 5 minutes will go on piping the batter in molds. Baking will take 10 to 12 minutes, and 10 minutes to cool off.
Decorating will take as long as you like depending on how creative you are.
What type of food coloring can I use for the colored icings?
You can use gel food coloring, liquid food coloring, or even powdered food colors just make sure to mix them well until they are completely melted. If you add less color you’ll get pasteles, and for more intense shades slowly add more colors but do this gradually to not overdye it.
I sincerely hope that this post motivated you to include these magical yummy donuts on the menu for your kid’s birthday bash next year! It will take you a bit of your time, but why don’t you make a party during this process?
Bake the donuts ahead of time and leave the fun part (glazing and decoration) to the little ones, so each can make their dream unicorn donut. If you have some interesting donut recipes to share with us please don’t hesitate!