Gluten-free diets have become increasingly popular in recent years, with more and more people opting to avoid gluten for medical or lifestyle reasons. For those who need or want to avoid gluten, finding tasty gluten-free dessert options can be a challenge. One popular grocery store that offers gluten-free selections is Safeway. In this comprehensive guide, we’ll take a look at what gluten-free dessert offerings Safeway has available.
Yes, Safeway does offer some gluten-free dessert options, including:
- Gluten-free cookies
- Gluten-free brownies and cake mixes
- Gluten-free pie crusts
- Gluten-free ice cream
- Gluten-free frozen desserts
However, selections will vary by location. Not all stores will have the same gluten-free products in stock. The availability of gluten-free desserts will depend on each store’s inventory.
Overview of Gluten-Free at Safeway
Safeway recognizes that food allergies and gluten sensitivities are a major health concern for many customers. They aim to offer gluten-free products to help customers stick to their dietary needs or preferences. Their selection focuses on providing alternatives for popular gluten-containing foods like bread, pasta, crackers, cereals, and baked goods.
Safeway offers an array of gluten-free items under its Signature SELECT and Signature CAFÉ brands. Products range from refrigerated and frozen foods to shelf-stable pantry items. They also carry gluten-free products from leading national brands. Online, Safeway lists over 2,000 products that are labeled gluten-free or certified gluten-free when you filter search results.
However, it’s important to note that product availability can vary significantly from one Safeway location to another. Stores tailor their selection to local demand. Larger Safeway locations in major metro areas tend to have more extensive gluten-free sections. Smaller neighborhood stores may only stock the most popular gluten-free items.
How to Find Gluten-Free Products at Safeway
Safeway makes it easy to identity gluten-free products both in-store and online:
- In-store signs call out gluten-free sections so they are easy to spot.
- Shelf tags clearly label qualifying products as “Gluten Free.”
- The Safeway online shop has a “Gluten Free” filter to narrow search results.
- You can select “Gluten Free” as a preferred diet on your justforu.com account.
Safeway also notes that their stores offer the following gluten-free food categories:
- Breads & Bagels
- Breakfast Foods
- Crackers, Cookies & Chips
- Pasta & Pizza
Knowing these key focus areas can help you easily locate potential gluten-free options while browsing the aisles.
What Gluten-Free Desserts Does Safeway Offer?
Safeway provides a range of gluten-free desserts and sweets to help customers satisfy their cravings. Here is an overview of the major gluten-free dessert categories carried at most locations:
Safeway offers several packaged gluten-free cookie options, including brands like:
- Betty Crocker Gluten Free Cookie Mix
- Pillsbury Gluten Free Cookie Mix
- Annie’s Gluten Free Bunny Cookies
- Enjoy Life Gluten Free Cookies
- Tate’s Bake Shop Gluten Free Cookies
Flavor selections include chocolate chip, sugar, and other typical cookie varieties. Most stores carry gluten-free cookie mixes and pre-baked gluten-free cookie brands in the specialty diet food section.
Gluten-Free Brownies and Cake Mixes
For home baking, Safeway has gluten-free brownie and cake mixes including:
- Betty Crocker Gluten Free Brownie Mix
- Pillsbury Gluten Free Fudge Brownie Mix
- Betty Crocker Gluten Free Birthday Cake Mix
- Duncan Hines Gluten Free Yellow Cake Mix
These allow gluten-free customers to bake tasty brownies, birthday cakes, and other sweet treats from the comfort of home. The mixes are typically stocked alongside other gluten-free baking items.
Gluten-Free Pie Crusts
Making pie from scratch is tricky for gluten-free bakers, but thankfully Safeway provides some shortcut options with pre-made gluten-free pie crusts including:
- Wholly Gluten Free Pie Crust
- Immaculate Baking Company Gluten Free Pie Crust
- Mrs. Smith’s Gluten Free Pie Crust
These can be found in the frozen gluten-free section and help simplify pie baking. Just thaw, fill, and bake for fast homemade gluten-free pies.
Gluten-Free Ice Cream
In addition to gluten-free desserts you bake yourself, Safeway also carries gluten-free ice cream flavors. Some options include:
- Signature SELECT Gluten Free Vanilla Ice Cream
- Signature SELECT Gluten Free Chocolate Ice Cream
- Halo Top Dairy Free and Gluten Free Ice Cream
These are located in the ice cream and frozen treats section of the freezer aisles. There you may also find gluten-free sorbet and popsicles.
Gluten-Free Frozen Desserts
The freezer section provides additional gluten-free sweets like:
- Signature SELECT Gluten Free Fudge Bars
- So Delicious Dairy Free Frozen Dessert
- Enlightened Gluten Free Frozen Dessert Bars
It’s always smart to double check ingredient labels since manufacturing can change. But in general Safeway stocks various gluten-free frozen novelties, fruit bars, ice cream sandwiches, and dessert bars.
Tips for Finding Gluten-Free Desserts at Safeway
Keep the following tips in mind when browsing the aisles for gluten-free desserts:
- Check both the specialty diet section and the freezer aisles.
- Look high and low on shelves since gluten-free items are stocked in different areas.
- Ask customer service if your store has a gluten-free locations guide.
- Inquire about ordering a specific gluten-free product if you don’t see it.
- Review the Safeway online shop to see what’s available chainwide.
- Search “gluten free bakery” on justforu.com to see eligible goods.
With some deductive sleuthing and asking questions, you should be able to uncover the gluten-free gems at your local Safeway. Also remember to look for seasonal offerings like gluten-free holiday cookies.
What About Safeway Bakery Items?
Safeway in-store bakeries do not offer gluten-free baked goods. Their traditional bakery cookies, cakes, breads, and pastries are made with wheat flour containing gluten.
Some locations may have gluten-free options on request for custom cakes and decorated cookies. But there are no routinely stocked gluten-free Safeway bakery items.
Your best gluten-free bakery bets are pre-packaged items like gluten-free cookie and brownie mixes, frozen gluten-free desserts, or gluten-free brands like Betty Crocker.
Here are some key highlights on finding gluten-free desserts at Safeway:
- Safeway offers a variety of packaged gluten-free sweets including cookie and brownie mixes, frozen desserts, and ice cream.
- Selection varies by location, so some stores will have more options than others.
- Ingredients can change so always verify by carefully reading labels.
- The in-store bakery does not routinely stock gluten-free baked goods.
- Focus on specialty diet aisles and freezer cases when hunting for gluten-free desserts.
The Best Gluten-Free Desserts at Safeway
Based on variety, availability, and customer reviews, here are 5 of the top gluten-free dessert picks at Safeway:
1. Betty Crocker Gluten Free Birthday Cake Mix
This versatile gluten-free vanilla cake mix yields a tasty base for all kinds of cakes like birthday cake, cupcakes, and more. Decorate to your liking!
2. So Delicious Dairy Free Frozen Dessert Bars
So Delicious makes enticing flavors of gluten-free frozen dessert bars including chocolate, salted caramel, and more.
3. Annie’s Gluten Free Bunny Cookies
These crunchy, gluten-free crackers shaped like bunnies are a hit with kids and adults alike.
4. Enlightened Gluten Free Frozen Dessert Bars
Another quality gluten-free frozen dessert bar brand, with flavors like chocolate peanut butter and cold brew coffee.
5. Signature SELECT Gluten Free Fudge Bars
Safeway’s gluten-free fudge bars give you that nostalgic flavor in a gluten-free formulation.
Gluten-Free Bakery Options at Other Grocery Stores
In addition to Safeway, you may also find gluten-free desserts and bakery items at grocery chains like:
- Whole Foods – Offers gluten-free cakes, cookies, and breads from their in-house bakery.
- Sprouts – Sells gluten-free bakery items like brownies and muffins.
- ALDI – Carries an array of gluten-free sweets under the LiveGFree brand.
- ShopRite – Stocks gluten-free desserts like doughnuts, cookies, and frozen pizzas.
- Wegmans – Features gluten-free bakery products including bread, bagels, and muffins.
Checking the bakery and freezer sections at other grocers near you can uncover even more tasty options.
Gluten-Free Dessert Recipes to Bake Yourself
When you want to whip up gluten-free desserts from scratch, there are endless recipes to try at home. Here are 5 delectable gluten-free baking recipe ideas:
1. Gluten-Free Chocolate Cake
Rich, fudgy chocolate cake is a crowd pleaser. Make it gluten-free with almond and rice flours.
2. Gluten-Free Sugar Cookies
Basic gluten-free sugar cookies are fun to decorate into shapes for different holidays and seasons.
3. Gluten-Free Pumpkin Bread
Bake up a loaf of moist gluten-free pumpkin bread and enjoy it fresh from the oven with butter.
4. Gluten-Free Lemon Bars
Tangy, refreshing lemon bars are delicious without relying on wheat flour when made gluten-free.
5. Gluten-Free Carrot Cake
Carrot cake is naturally gluten-free when using a blend of gluten-free flours. Top it with cream cheese frosting.
Let your imagination run wild dreaming up the gluten-free desserts you’d like to create. The options are practically endless!
Gluten-Free Desserts: Frequently Asked Questions
1. Are gluten-free desserts healthier?
Not necessarily. Gluten-free desserts replace wheat flour with other starches and sugars. They can still be high in calories, fat, and sugar like traditional desserts. Focus on portions and enjoy gluten-free treats in moderation as part of an overall healthy diet.
2. What can I use to replace wheat flour in desserts?
Common gluten-free flour alternatives include rice flour, almond flour, coconut flour, oat flour, chickpea flour, and cornstarch or potato starch. Using a blend of flours helps approximate the properties of wheat flour.
3. Which foods naturally don’t contain gluten?
Many whole foods are inherently gluten-free including fruits, vegetables, lean proteins like chicken and fish, eggs, nuts, seeds, milk, yogurt, cheese, and pure oils. Enjoy these whole foods as part of your gluten-free lifestyle.
4. What desserts can I eat on a gluten-free diet?
Popular gluten-free dessert options include fruit, sorbet, dark chocolate, gluten-free cookies, muffins and cakes, panna cotta, meringues, macarons, peanut brittle, and ice cream as long as cones/toppings are gluten-free.
5. Are gluten-free desserts more expensive?
Specialty gluten-free items are often priced higher than conventional wheat-based products. But the price difference is narrowing as demand grows and more brands offer gluten-free desserts.
The Takeaway on Safeway Gluten-Free Desserts
While Safeway doesn’t offer gluten-free baked goods in-store, they provide a solid assortment of packaged gluten-free desserts to enjoy. From decadent gluten-free brownies to ice cream and frozen novelty treats, you can find options to satisfy your craving. Supplement Safeway selections by baking your own gluten-free dessert recipes at home.
Remember to always check labels since ingredients can change. With a bit of label reading and some clever searching, you can uncover gluten-free sweets at your neighborhood Safeway. Now you know what gluten-free dessert offerings to look for and where to find them on future shopping trips.