Yes, you can delete apps you’ve downloaded from the App Store on your iPhone. However, deleting an app from your iPhone doesn’t uninstall it from your Apple ID purchase history. If you want to fully remove an app from your account, you’ll need to contact Apple Support to request they remove it from your purchase history.
Can I delete apps from my iPhone?
Yes, you can delete apps you’ve downloaded from the App Store on your iPhone. Here’s how:
- Go to your iPhone’s home screen and find the app you want to delete.
- Long press on the app icon until the icons start to jiggle.
- Tap the “X” that appears in the upper-left corner of the app icon.
- Tap “Delete” to confirm you want to remove the app.
Deleting an app this way will remove the app itself and all of its data from your iPhone storage. However, it does not uninstall the app from your Apple ID purchase history.
Does deleting an app uninstall it from my Apple ID?
No, deleting an iPhone app only removes it locally from your device – it does not uninstall the app from your Apple ID purchase history.
When you download an app from the App Store, it gets added to your Apple account’s purchase history. Even if you later delete that app from your iPhone, it will still show up in your purchase history.
The only way to fully remove an app from your Apple ID is to contact Apple Support and request they remove it from your purchase history. There is no way to do this yourself from your iPhone.
So in summary:
- Deleting an iPhone app removes it from your device storage
- It does not remove the app from your Apple ID purchase history
- To fully uninstall an app from your Apple account, you must contact Apple Support
Why can’t I uninstall apps from my purchase history?
Apple does not provide iPhone users with the ability to remove apps from their purchase history for a few reasons:
- To prevent piracy – Being able to freely uninstall apps would make it easier to pass purchased apps among multiple Apple IDs.
- For record keeping – Apple uses your purchase history for things like refund requests, so the full history needs to be maintained.
- In case you want to redownload – By keeping apps in your purchase history, you can always redownload them for free even if they are no longer available on the App Store.
So in the interest of security, record keeping, and convenience, Apple restricts the ability to fully uninstall apps to Apple Support staff only.
How can I request an app removal from my purchase history?
If you want to fully remove an app from your Apple ID purchase history, you’ll need to contact Apple Support and make a request.
Here are the steps:
- Open the Apple Support app on your iPhone or go to https://support.apple.com/.
- Click on the option to chat or speak with an Apple Support advisor.
- Briefly explain you want an app removed from your purchase history.
- Provide the name of the app and specify it is an iOS app purchased through the App Store.
- Confirm some account details so they can verify you own the Apple ID.
- The advisor will then remove the app from your account purchase history.
In some cases, Apple Support may ask you to provide a specific reason for wanting the app removed. Valid reasons usually relate to problems with the app, like it not functioning properly or no longer being supported.
The process is quick and straightforward. Just reach out to Apple Support whenever you need an app taken off your account purchase history.
Can I redownload apps I’ve deleted?
Yes, you can redownload and reinstall any apps you’ve previously deleted as long as they still appear in your Apple ID purchase history.
The App Store keeps track of all the apps you’ve ever downloaded using that Apple ID. So even if you delete an app from your iPhone, you can get it back in just a few steps:
- Open the App Store app.
- Tap on your profile icon in the top right.
- Select “Purchased”.
- Find the purchased app you want to redownload and tap “Install”.
This will redownload and install the app on your current iPhone. All of your previous App Store purchases are available to download again in the future.
The only exception is if you’ve requested for an app to be fully removed from your account purchase history. But in most cases, you can retrieve deleted apps this way.
What happens when I delete an app from my iPhone?
Here’s a summary of what happens when you delete an app from your iPhone:
- The app itself is removed from your iPhone storage.
- All data associated with the app is erased, like preferences or saved files.
- The app icon disappears from your home screen.
- The app remains in your Apple ID purchase history.
- You can redownload the app in the future if wanted.
- You may lose access to any content purchased inside the app.
So in short, deleting an iPhone app gets rid of it locally on your device, but doesn’t remove records of it from your Apple account. Reinstalling the app from your purchase history will get you a fresh copy.
What types of apps should I delete from my iPhone?
Here are some common reasons you may want to delete apps from your iPhone:
- You never use the app – Delete unused apps to clear up storage space.
- The app is buggy or no longer works – Get rid of apps that freeze, crash, or have issues.
- The app is outdated – Remove old apps that are no longer supported or updated.
- You need to free up storage space – Deleting larger apps can help free up room on your device.
- The app has privacy concerns – Remove suspicious apps or ones that request too many permissions.
- You want to take a break from the app – Deleting productivity draining apps like social media can help reduce distractions.
Taking stock of your apps and removing any unnecessary, outdated, or unused ones can help optimize your iPhone performance and storage.
What happens when I delete an app with an active subscription?
If you delete an app that you currently have an active subscription for, here’s what will happen:
- The app itself will be removed from your iPhone.
- The subscription will continue being charged to your Apple account or payment method on file.
- You will no longer be able to access premium subscription content in the app.
- Reinstalling the app does not automatically reinstate the subscription.
- You need to restore the subscription purchase in the app or through your Apple account.
So deleting a subscribed app does not cancel or pause the subscription itself. You need to manually cancel any subscriptions before deleting paid apps you no longer want.
Most subscription apps let you cancel the auto-renew right in the app. You can also manage and cancel iOS subscriptions by going to Settings > Your Name > Subscriptions on your iPhone.
Can I delete default iPhone apps?
There are some default apps that come pre-installed on every iPhone that cannot be deleted. This includes core system apps like Phone, Messages, Settings, App Store, and more.
Trying to delete these default system apps will give you an error message saying “This app cannot be removed.”
However, there are some pre-loaded apps from Apple that can be deleted:
- Find My
- iTunes Store
- Voice Memos
If you don’t use some of these default but removable apps, feel free to delete them to save space and reduce home screen clutter.
What happens when I delete default iPhone apps?
When you delete default pre-loaded apps from your iPhone, here is what will occur:
- The app will be removed from your home screen.
- All app data will be deleted.
- Some system functionality may be disabled.
- For example, deleting Contacts app means you lose access to contacts.
- You can redownload any default apps from the App Store.
- Your personal data does not come back if it was deleted.
So the apps can be reinstalled later if needed, but any data stored locally will be wiped. Double check you don’t need any app data before deleting default apps.
Some default apps like Contacts, Calendar, Reminders tightly integrate with your iPhone, so use caution when removing them. Losing access to contacts or calendar events may be disruptive.
Should I delete unused default iPhone apps?
Here are some things to consider about deleting unused default apps on your iPhone:
- Frees up storage space on your device.
- Cleans up your home screen.
- Removes unused features and functionality.
- Some apps like Stocks, Compass, Tips are safe to remove.
- Can disable useful system functionality.
- May need to redownload the apps later.
- App data will be permanently deleted.
- Core apps like Phone, Messages, Settings can’t be removed.
In general, it’s fine to remove most unused default apps, especially smaller helpers like Compass, Find My, or Voice Memos. But avoid deleting apps closely linked to your iPhone experience like Contacts or Calendar unless absolutely needed.
What happens if I delete all apps from my iPhone?
Here’s what would happen if you deleted all downloaded apps from your iPhone, including default Apple apps:
- Your home screens would be totally empty except the App Library.
- A lot of storage space would be freed up, likely gigabytes worth.
- You’d lose access to any apps not built into the core iOS.
- Your iPhone functionality would be heavily reduced.
- You couldn’t make calls, texts, play music or take photos without default apps.
- Many iPhone features would stop working or be inaccessible.
- You could still reinstall apps from the App Store if needed.
While it is possible to remove every single app, this would essentially render your iPhone unusable for most practical purposes. The core iOS would still function, but you’d lose access to almost all apps and features.
It’s not recommended to delete all your apps unless absolutely necessary as a troubleshooting step. And you’d have to redownload most of them again later on.
Can I recover deleted iPhone apps?
If you delete an app by accident or later decide you need it again, there are a couple ways to try and recover deleted iPhone apps:
- Redownload from the App Store – Go to your purchase history and reinstall.
- Restore from an iTunes or iCloud backup – Apps get restored when you recover a full iPhone backup.
- Use iPhone data recovery software – Some third-party software claims ability to restore deleted apps.
However, these methods have limitations:
- App Store reinstall will not restore your local app data.
- You need an unencrypted backup that included the deleted app.
- iPhone data recovery software is not always reliable and should be used cautiously.
Once an iPhone app is deleted, the data is typically gone for good. Your best bet is reinstalling apps from your purchase history and accepting any lost local data.
What are the risks of deleting iPhone apps?
While removing apps from your iPhone is safe for the most part, there are some risks to be aware of:
- Losing access to important app data – Pictures, documents, settings, etc. that are erased.
- Disabling key functionality – If you delete certain default system apps.
- Wiping valuable app purchases or achievements – Some content or progress can’t be restored.
- Needing to redownload apps later – And manually set them up from scratch.
- Losing access to subscription content – If app is deleted before canceling subscription.
- Removing apps by accident – Which is hard to undo if no backup exists.
The main thing is to ensure you don’t need anything from an app before deleting it. Also, avoid removing apps tied into core iPhone functionality when possible.
Best practices when deleting iPhone apps
Follow these tips when deleting apps from your iPhone for the best results:
- Review app content/data first – Copy out anything you may need.
- Cancel any paid app subscriptions.
- Check for recent app updates you may lose.
- Avoid removing core system apps and utilities.
- Delete unused apps instead of heavily-used ones.
- Remove multiple apps at once to save time.
- Make sure you know your Apple ID to reinstall apps later.
- Back up your iPhone before deleting apps as a precaution.
Only remove apps you are comfortable getting rid of. Be careful when deleting larger apps to free up space and don’t disable important iPhone functionality.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I delete preinstalled apps on iPhone?
Yes, you can delete most preinstalled Apple apps on your iPhone, like Stocks, Compass, Find My, Voice Memos, etc. Core system apps cannot be removed, only third-party apps.
What happens when you delete an app on iPhone?
The app gets removed from your iPhone storage along with its data. But it stays in your Apple account purchase history so you can redownload it later from the App Store.
How do I permanently delete an app from iPhone?
To fully remove an app from your Apple ID, you need to contact Apple Support and request they remove it from your purchase history. iPhone does not let you permanently delete apps on your own.
Where do deleted apps on iPhone go?
When you delete an iPhone app, it’s completely erased from your device storage. The app remains tied to your Apple ID and can be redownloaded from your purchase history if needed.
Can you recover deleted apps on iPhone?
It’s challenging to recover a deleted iPhone app and its data. Your only options are to reinstall it from the App Store or restore from an iPhone backup made before deleting the app. But its local data may be lost.
While you can easily delete apps from your iPhone to free up space and clean up your home screen, this does not uninstall them from your Apple ID purchase history. To fully remove an app from your account, you need to contact Apple Support – iPhone does not give users the ability to permanently delete apps themselves. Be careful when deleting apps with subscriptions or valuable data, and avoid removing core system apps. With some basic precautions, deleting unwanted iPhone apps can be a safe and effective way to optimize your device.