Starbucks toasted vanilla is a popular coffee drink offered at Starbucks cafes. It features Starbucks signature espresso roasted with vanilla and steamed milk. This gives the coffee a sweet, vanilla flavor with a touch of caramel. The toasted vanilla flavor comes from vanilla syrup that is blended into the espresso shot.
What ingredients are in a Starbucks toasted vanilla drink?
The main ingredients in a Starbucks toasted vanilla coffee drink are:
- Espresso – The base of the drink is Starbucks signature espresso. Espresso is made by forcing hot water at high pressure through finely ground coffee beans.
- Vanilla syrup – Starbucks vanilla syrup adds the distinct vanilla flavor. The syrup is sweetened and flavored with vanilla bean extract.
- Steamed milk – The espresso and vanilla syrup are combined with steamed milk. Milk helps give the drink a creamy texture.
- Whipped cream – Whipped cream is added on top to add texture and flavor.
- Vanilla powder – Vanilla powder can be sprinkled on top of the whipped cream.
The exact ingredients in the vanilla syrup may vary slightly based on the recipe Starbucks uses. But it contains sugar and natural and artificial vanilla flavorings. The vanilla bean flavors give the syrup a pronounced vanilla taste.
How is Starbucks toasted vanilla espresso made?
The Starbucks barista follows a specific process to make a toasted vanilla coffee:
- Brew a shot of Starbucks signature espresso
- Add heated and frothed whole milk to the espresso shot
- Pour 3 pumps of Starbucks vanilla syrup into the milk and espresso
- Combine the ingredients together thoroughly
- Pour the toasted vanilla coffee into a cup
- Top with whipped cream and vanilla powder
The espresso shot forms the base. Espresso beans are roasted to a dark brown to develop a bold, rich flavor. The milk is steamed to create a light, foamy texture. The vanilla syrup contains concentrated vanilla extract for intense vanilla bean flavor. When all the ingredients are combined, you are left with a deliciously sweet and aromatic toasted vanilla coffee.
What size toasted vanilla drinks does Starbucks offer?
Starbucks allows you to customize your toasted vanilla drink based on size:
- Tall – 12 fl oz
- Grande – 16 fl oz
- Venti – 20 fl oz
- Trenta – 31 fl oz (iced drinks only)
A taller cup contains more milk and espresso, allowing you to enjoy more of that vanilla flavor. But all sizes have the same ratio of ingredients. The standard recipe is 3 pumps of vanilla syrup, 1 shot of espresso, and steamed whole milk. Light cream or non-dairy milks can also be requested.
Does the toasted vanilla latte have caffeine?
Yes, the toasted vanilla latte contains caffeine because it is made with Starbucks espresso. One shot of Starbucks espresso contains approximately 75mg of caffeine.
Here are the approximate caffeine amounts in each toasted vanilla latte size:
- Tall (12 oz) – 75mg
- Grande (16 oz) – 150mg
- Venti (20 oz) – 225mg
The caffeine gives you an energy boost to help wake you up. It comes from the natural caffeine found in coffee beans.
Is the toasted vanilla sweeter than regular vanilla latte?
Most would consider the toasted vanilla latte to be sweeter than a regular vanilla latte. There are two reasons for this:
- The vanilla syrup contains more sugar than regular vanilla syrup to give it a caramelized, toasted taste.
- The toasted vanilla powder sprinkled on top adds extra sweetness.
The exact sugar content can vary based on personalization. But expect the toasted vanilla version to have a richer, more pronounced vanilla sweetness compared to a latte made with regular vanilla syrup. The caramelized vanilla flavors make it an excellent choice for those with a sweet tooth.
What milk choices are available?
Starbucks gives you various milk options for customizing your toasted vanilla latte:
- 2% milk – Reduced fat milk with a creamy texture
- Non-fat milk – Contains no fat, for a lighter latte
- Soy milk – Vegan option made from soybeans
- Almond milk – Vegan milk with a nutty taste
- Coconut milk – Vegan alternative with subtle coconut flavors
- Whole milk – Regular dairy milk with 3.5% fat
No matter what milk you choose, the barista will steam and froth it to create a light, foamy texture. Whole milk works particularly well in this drink, providing a silky mouthfeel and carrying the vanilla sweetness. Non-dairy milks make the toasted vanilla accessible for vegans too.
Does Starbucks offer smaller or larger sizes?
Yes, Starbucks provides these additional toasted vanilla size options:
- Short – 8 fl oz
- Kids temperature – 10 fl oz
- Mini – 10 fl oz
- Trenta – 31 fl oz (iced only)
The short contains 1 shot of espresso and less milk for a quick taste. The kids temperature ensures the drink isn’t too hot. The mini size offers full flavor in a portion smaller than a tall. And Trenta gives you the most refreshing iced toasted vanilla.
Is there a hot or iced version?
Starbucks lets you enjoy toasted vanilla either hot or iced:
Hot toasted vanilla – Made following the standard recipe with steamed milk and served at a hot temperature.
Iced toasted vanilla – Prepared the same way but with cold milk poured over ice. Vanilla syrup pumps may be increased to 4 to sweeten the iced version.
Both versions contain the same ingredients. The heat helps bring out the espresso and vanilla flavors in the hot latte. While the iced toasted vanilla cools you down with a refreshing chilled sweetness.
What milk alternatives can you request?
Beyond dairy and non-dairy, Starbucks offers these additional milk choices:
- Half and half – A creamy blend of half milk and half cream.
- Heavy cream – Thick and rich for a indulgent texture.
- Non-fat milk – Skim milk with less than 1% fat.
- Lactose free milk – Easy to digest low-lactose milk.
- Oat milk – Vegan alternative with oats blended with water.
The half and half and heavy cream provide luxurious texture and taste. Lactose free or non-fat milk allow you to enjoy the drink without drawbacks. And oat milk offers a popular dairy-free choice.
What customizations can you request?
Some popular ways to customize your Starbucks toasted vanilla latte include:
- Extra shot of espresso – For an added caffeine kick
- Fewer pumps of vanilla syrup – To reduce sweetness
- Additional flavors – Such as caramel, cinnamon, hazelnut, or peppermint
- Alternative milk – Such as soy, almond, or oat milk
- Whipped cream – Extra toppings or no whipped cream
- Drink size – Opt for a smaller short or larger Trenta size
Starbucks baristas can also recommend combinations like adding mocha or toffee nut syrup. Customizing allows you to craft your ideal vanilla latte.
Does it contain eggs or dairy?
The toasted vanilla latte does not contain eggs but does contain dairy:
- No eggs – Eggs are not used to make Starbucks espresso or vanilla syrup.
- Contains dairy – The steamed milk has lactose that classifies it as a dairy product.
- Whipped cream – The whipped topping also contains dairy.
Those avoiding dairy can request a non-dairy milk like soy, coconut, or almond milk. These allow you to enjoy the toasted vanilla flavor while avoiding lactose.
Is the toasted vanilla vegan friendly?
You can customize the toasted vanilla latte to be vegan friendly by:
- Requesting soy, almond, coconut, or oat milk
- Asking for no whipped cream
- Using vegan vanilla syrup if available
- Asking it to be prepared without any animal products
This removes the dairy components making it completely plant based. The espresso and milk alternatives mean the drink can be enjoyed by vegans.
Does it contain peanuts or tree nuts?
No, there are no peanuts or tree nuts such as almonds used in making a Starbucks toasted vanilla latte. So it can generally be safely consumed by those with peanut or tree nut allergies.
It’s important to note that some Starbucks locations may handle almond milk or other nut products. So those with severe allergies should inform the barista to prevent cross-contact.
Can you request dark, blonde, or decaf espresso?
Yes, Starbucks allows you to customize the espresso used in a toasted vanilla latte:
- Dark roast espresso – Boltdest option with chocolatey flavor (standard)
- Blonde roast espresso – Smooth and mellow lighter roast
- Decaf espresso – Contains less caffeine for an afternoon pick-me-up
The blonde roast provides a lighter espresso to complement the sweet vanilla. Decaf espresso allows you to enjoy the taste while limiting caffeine intake.
Is there a toasted vanilla Frappuccino?
Unfortunately Starbucks does not currently offer a toasted vanilla Frappuccino or toasted vanilla Crème on their menu. The Frappuccino is a blended iced coffee while the toasted vanilla is a hot latte.
But you may be able to customize or request a Frappuccino with vanilla syrup and shots of espresso. It would have a similar sweet vanilla flavor in blended form. Check with your local Starbucks barista on their recommendations for a Frappuccino with toasted vanilla notes.
Can kids or seniors order the toasted vanilla latte?
Yes, both kids and seniors can enjoy a toasted vanilla latte. Kids sizes and cooler kids temperatures are available. Seniors may request decaf espresso and smaller short sizes.
Some recommendations for kids and seniors ordering a toasted vanilla latte:
- Kids temperature – Ensures latte is not too hot for kids
- Decaf espresso – Provides flavor without excess caffeine for seniors
- Only 1-2 pumps vanilla – Reduces sugar content if needed
- Whipped cream – Makes a tasty topping for kids
- Smaller short size – Perfect for smaller appetites
Customizing with reduced caffeine and sweetness allows both kids and seniors to enjoy this popular vanilla drink.
Does Starbucks charge extra for customizations?
Starbucks does not charge extra for the majority of milk alternatives or customizations. Options like soy, almond, or oat milk are included in the base price. Some exceptions that do cost extra include:
- Extra espresso shot – $0.80 extra per shot
- Dairy alternatives – Such as heavy cream or half and half
- Extra syrups – Additional pumps of vanilla or other flavors
- Add-ins – Like caramel drizzle or cinnamon
But ingredients like a different type of milk, whipped cream, or one less pump of vanilla won’t cost anything extra. Talk to your barista when ordering about any customization charges.
Is there a toasted vanilla K-cup for home brewing?
Unfortunately Starbucks does not manufacture a toasted vanilla flavored K-cup pod that you can brew at home. But there are some options to replicate the flavor:
- Starbucks vanilla K-cup – Brew then add vanilla syrup to taste
- Vanilla latte K-cup – Has vanilla flavor but not toasted
- Natural vanilla coffee K-cup – For example from Green Mountain
- Make your own vanilla cafe latte – Brew espresso and add heated milk and vanilla
While not exact, these provide a convenient way to enjoy a hot vanilla coffee with your Keurig machine. Adding vanilla syrup lets you customize the sweetness to mimic the Starbucks toasted vanilla latte flavor.
What is the nutrition information?
The nutrition information in a Grande (16 oz) toasted vanilla latte made with 2% milk is:
- Calories: 210
- Total fat: 5g
- Sugar: 33g
- Protein: 11g
- Caffeine: 150mg
- High in sugar – The vanilla syrup contains 33g of added sugar
- Contains caffeine – Provides 150mg caffeine for an energy lift
- 11g protein – A good source thanks to the milk
- 210 calories – Medium calories for a coffee drink
Those watching calories or sugar may request fewer pumps of vanilla syrup or nonfat milk. Kids sizes also have less sugar and caffeine.
Starbucks toasted vanilla latte provides a delicious sweet vanilla and espresso drink. It is made with steamed milk, vanilla syrup, espresso, and topped with whipped cream and vanilla powder. Customizations allow you to tailor the drink to your preferences. While tasty, the high sugar content is something to be aware of. But overall this warm, aromatic vanilla latte is a Starbucks menu favorite for good reason.