Did you know you can become a donut expert in just one afternoon? If you are bored, yet lazy and with high donut cravings, I have just the right thing for you. Behold, the easiest dessert recipe ever – pancake mix donuts.
No, I did not just come up with that, these are a major thing on the cooking scene right now. All you need is a box of your favorite pancake mix, a big bowl, and milk, and you are pretty much all set. Let’s see how this cooking hack works.
Can You Make Donuts With Pancake Mix?
Yes, you can! In fact, pancake mix donuts are perfect for breakfast. Not only that you will save a lot of time, but you will also try something new since pre-made pancake mixes come in various flavors. All you have to do is follow the instructions from this recipe or the ones on the box.
On the other hand, if you are not lazy, you can use your own homemade pancake mix. Keep in mind that all pancake mixes consist of ingredients that you will find in the regular donut recipes, except yeast which is substituted with baking powder.
Anyhow, no matter which mixture you will use, you can be sure that donuts made this way will be moist and light. The only thing that you need to be careful about is the texture of the batter, don’t overmix it or your donuts will become dense.
How To Make Pancake Mix Donuts
The process of making the dough is rather simple, just combine all the ingredients in the bowl with a mixer and there you go. Shaping the donuts will take a bit more time.
You can bake or fry these donuts, it is up to you. If you try to watch your weight then bake them in a donut pan in the oven. Also, this is a simpler way since you’ll place the pan in the oven and in 15 minutes your donuts are ready. Frying is a bit longer process.
Kitchen tools you will need
Luckily, you won’t need to use a lot of different bowls and dishes for making this dough. All you will need is:
- Two medium mixing bowls for the dough;
- Smaller bowl for making the frosting of your choice (or not if you don’t want it);
- Stand mixer;
- Piping bag or rolling pin;
- Baking paper;
- Cooling wire rack;
- Donut pan (for those who will bake them) or larger pot (for those who will fry them).
Ingredients you will need
As I said this recipe is simple and easy and you will need only 3 essential ingredients – pancake mix, milk, and sugar. You can bake your donuts from this mixture, just follow the instructions on the box.
However, I wanted these donuts to taste more like a donut and less like a pancake in the shape of a donut, so I recommend following the next recipe. Ingredients that you will need:
- Pancake mix of your choice;
- Granulated sugar to taste (add some then try the mixture, if it is not sweet as you want it, add some more);
- One large egg or two smaller ones;
- 1 cup of whole milk if you are going to bake them, or ½ cup of milk if you are going to fry them (the consistency of the dough must be different);
- ⅓ cup of melted unsalted butter;
- 2 teaspoons of vanilla extract (more or less as you want);
- Optional add-ins are mini chocolate chips, blueberries, and chopped nuts.
For the chocolate glaze:
- ⅓ cup of unsweetened cocoa powder;
- 3 cups of powdered sugar;
- Pinch of salt;
- ¼ cup of whole milk.
If you prefer you can make regular sugar icing or simply dip them in melted chocolate and add some sprinkles. Feel free to choose any frosting you like.
Step by Step on how to make pancake mix donuts
If you will fry the donuts then before making the donuts pour vegetable oil into a larger pot and preheat the oil, but do it gradually so it won’t burn and make your donuts taste funky. If you are going to bake them, preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- In a mixing bowl, combine a pancake mix and granulated sugar. Stir to combine it well.
- In a separate bowl mix milk, egg (or eggs), vanilla extract, and melted butter. Mix it until it becomes completely combined.
- Now slowly mix the wet ingredients with the dry mixture and stir with the mixer, but make sure you don’t over-mix it! If you decided to use some add-ins now is the time to stir them in with a spoon.
- If you used less milk, the dough will have a shaggy, not smooth, appearance and you will need to knead it a bit on the non-stick surface before rolling it out. Thin a dough in ¼-inch thickness and cut out donuts for frying.
- If you used more milk, place the mixture in a piping bag and fill the greased-up donut pan.
In case you are frying your donuts, do it for 2 minutes on each side then place it on a wire rack to cool off. For baking, place the pan in preheated oven and bake them for 10 to 15 minutes (every oven is different). Let them cool off in the pan for 5 minutes before placing them on a cooling rack.
When they are completely cool you can glaze or dip them in the frosting of your choice. Sprinkle them with coconut, nuts, chocolate bits, or sprinkles, and enjoy them while they are warm.
What else can I make with pancake box mix?
As you can see pancake mix is a universal mix that will help you make quick and easy desserts. Besides pancakes and donuts, you can use them to make cookies, cupcakes, crepes, and muffins.
What ingredients I can use to add flavor to the mixture?
There are so many alternatives. You can add food aromas like vanilla, almond, lemon, caramel, coconut, etc. Or you can mix in cocoa powder, and fruit purees (in this case make sure to reduce the amount of milk so your dough stays firm).
How long can I store these pancake mix donuts?
Like all other donuts and baked goods, in fact, you should store them in an airtight box on the counter for up to 2 or 3 days. However, since this dough has milk and eggs in the batter, if you think it is too hot inside, place them in the fridge.
No matter if you decide to fry or bake your pancake mix donuts, you will adore them! They are simple, fluffy, and delicious desserts that you can have ready on your table just in time before your unexpected guests arrive.
If you use this mix for something else, please let us know, we would like to try more recipes like this. Let’s make baking simple and delicious, together.