When summer temperature hit us too hard a slice of cold watermelon is a great refreshment, but what if you crave something sweet and creamy? Naturally, we all reach out for the same thing – ice cream!
In all honesty, ice cream is my go-to option all year round. However, from time to time, when I feel down I just need something extra to pick me up and brighten up my day, so it is no surprise this recipe got my attention so quickly.
It is time to step up your dessert game and make this simple and delicious ice cream donut sandwich.
Ice Cream Donut Sandwich Nutrition
Ice cream sandwich is our favorite childhood treat, a scoop of your favorite flavor between two cookies, what not to like there? However, you can make ice cream sandwiches from almost anything waffles, wafers, cookies, brownies, croissants, and donuts are the most common choices.
Therefore, I don’t need to tell you these are treats you shouldn’t eat too often. The amount of calories your treat will have depends on what kind of base you used for the sandwich.
Specifically, a donut ice cream sandwich can be a caloric bomb if you don’t watch what type of donuts you will use. If you decide to use fried or glazed donuts instead of baked donuts, one serving can have up to 500 calories!
My kind advice is to always go for a cake type of donut since the amount of fat in them is way lower. Here is the list of nutritional values:
|Baked donut ice cream sandwich||Fried donut ice cream sandwich|
|Calories||311 cal||597 cal|
|Fat||14.3 grams||25 grams|
|Carbs||35 grams||90 grams|
|Sugar||10 grams||70 grams|
|Protein||3.25 grams||6.8 grams|
Ingredients you will need
So the recipe is very simple and straightforward, all you need is dozen of plain baked donuts (or your favorite donut) and any ice cream of your choice. But you don’t need to stop there, you can add syrups, chopped nuts, marshmallows, caramel sauce, sprinkles, fruit, and chocolate chips for instance.
You can buy donuts in the supermarket, in your local store, or you can bake them from scratch at home. You can use any ice cream, but be aware that the most convenient for you is to buy the one that comes in a tube.
Since this recipe doesn’t take too much preparation and time I decided to make two different variations. These are the ingredients you will need:
- 6 baked doughnuts
- 1 tube of vanilla ice cream
- 1 tube of chocolate ice cream
- 3 tablespoons of Nutella
- ½ cup of chopped strawberries
- ½ cup of chocolate sprinkles
- 3 tablespoons of peanut butter
- ½ cup of chopped nuts
You won’t be needing too many different kitchen tools for this recipe since there will be no mixing or baking. All you need to do is assemble the donuts, toppings, and ice cream in the way you like it.
- Bread knife for cutting donuts in half
- Regular knife for cutting ice cream into slices
- Ice cream scoop in case your ice cream isn’t in a tube
- Baking sheet
- Plastic wrap
- Cooling wire rack
- Large bowl for toppings
Step by step on how to make an ice cream donut sandwich
Making an ice cream donut sandwich is super easy and simple, it only requires a bit of time and patience. In fact, it can be as simple as scooping some ice cream between a cut donut, but even though it doesn’t look like it, you can do this wrong and ruin everything.
The biggest mistake you can make is to have your ice cream melting too fast or have it so frozen and hard that you ruin the donut trying to spread it evenly. That is why preparing ahead is crucial.
- The first step is to prep your ice cream. You can do this by slowly softening the ice cream in the refrigerator for twenty minutes to evenly soften. After half an hour you can portion out your ice cream. You can do this in two different ways.
- If you bought ice cream in a tube you can slice it into thin or thick discs. The other method is if you bought ice cream in large packs. Place the parchment paper on a flat surface and add two scoops of ice cream. Gently shape them into a disc shape that fits your donuts.
- Wrap up the ice cream in the plastic wrap then in a freezer bag or air-tight container and let it freeze in the freezer for a few hours.
- The second step is to prepare your donuts. The most important advice I can give you is to never cut your donuts ahead or they will dry out. Cut them before serving and coat them with a thin layer of spread then add ice cream and drizzle with your favorite toppings.
- Let them sit in the fridge for up to 20 minutes just so they settle down for a bit, then serve. If you want you can freeze them and use them when you want.
What type of ice cream I can use?
You can use any ice cream that you like, vegan, dairy-free, regular, or even sorbets. The only trick with sorbets is that they have different textures so getting the right consistency and amount can be hard. They unthaw too fast and moisten the donut, but try mixing it with regular ice cream.
What type of donuts I can use?
As I mentioned you can use whichever donuts you have or like, but keep in mind the filled donuts aren’t the best choice since the filling make the dough soft. If you watch your weight the best option is to use baked donuts.
How long can I store them?
You can store them in the freezer in two different ways, assembled and unassembled. You can freeze ice cream discs on their own wrapped in foil, and uncut donuts in the air-tight container.
On the other hand, for those sandwiches that you already made you need to wrap them in parchment paper or foil, then place them in the freezer bag to avoid sticking.
You can get creative as much as you want with this simple recipe. The great thing about it is that you can use any ingredients you have at hand and quickly assemble delicious treats for your guests in a matter of minutes.
Feel free to share with us your favorite summer combination in the comment section.