When looking at fluid measurements, it can sometimes be confusing converting between different units of volume. Gallons and litres are two common units used to measure liquid volumes, but they are based on different measurement systems. So how can we easily convert between gallons and litres?
There are approximately 166.5558 litres in a 44 gallon drum.
Gallons to Litres Conversion
To understand how many litres there are in 44 gallons, we first need to know the conversion rate between gallons and litres. The conversion rate is:
- 1 gallon = 3.78541 litres
Knowing this, we can calculate:
- 44 gallons x 3.78541 litres/gallon = 166.55804 litres
So a 44 gallon drum contains about 166.56 litres when converted into the metric volume unit.
Why Gallons and Litres are Different
Gallons and litres are different units because they originate from different measurement systems. Gallons are a unit from the imperial system which was used in the British Empire, while litres are a metric unit from the metric system used widely across the world today.
The imperial gallon is based on the volume of 10 pounds of water. When this volume was measured, it was found to be equivalent to 277.42 cubic inches. In contrast, the litre was designed to be one cubic decimetre of volume under the metric system. One cubic decimetre equals exactly 1000 cubic centimetres.
Due to these differing definitions, converting between gallons and litres results in decimal values. The conversion is not a whole number ratio. But as shown above, the conversion rate is well established so that converting any gallons value into litres (or vice versa) can be easily accomplished.
Converting Other Gallon Volumes to Litres
Now that we know there are 166.5558 litres in a 44 gallon drum, how can we calculate the litre equivalent for other gallon values? Using the gallon to litre conversion rate, we simply need to multiply the gallons by 3.78541 litres for each gallon.
- 10 gallons x 3.78541 litres/gallon = 37.8541 litres
- 25 gallons x 3.78541 litres/gallon = 94.63525 litres
- 55 gallons x 3.78541 litres/gallon = 208.1977 litres
This calculation can be done for any volume of gallons to find out how many litres the volume equals. Handy conversion tools are also available online to make converting between gallons and litres quick and easy.
Litres to Gallons Conversion
We can also convert litres into gallons using the inverse of the conversion ratio:
- 1 litre = 0.26417 gallons
So to convert litres to gallons, we just need to multiply the litres value by 0.26417 to determine the equivalent gallons amount. For example:
- 50 litres x 0.26417 gallons/litre = 13.2085 gallons
- 125 litres x 0.26417 gallons/litre = 33.02125 gallons
- 1000 litres x 0.26417 gallons/litre = 264.17 gallons
Why Convert Between Gallons and Litres?
Being able to convert between gallons and litres is useful any time you need to determine the equivalent volume across the two units. Some common situations where converting gallons and litres are useful include:
- International trade – When buying or selling fluids internationally, gallons and litres may both be used depending on the country.
- Cross-border transportation – Transporting liquids across borders where imperial gallons or metric litres are used.
- Converting fluid container sizes – Drums and containers may be rated in gallons or litres.
- Recipes – Some recipes may involve fluid volumes in gallons or litres.
- Fuel consumption – Vehicle fuel consumption may be measured in miles per gallon or litres per 100 kilometres.
- Fluid intake comparisons – Medical recommendations may involve fluid intakes in both gallon and litre units.
Being able to quickly convert between the units ensures volumes can be easily compared and calculated as needed.
Converting Bigger Gallons Volumes
For bigger gallon volumes, such as 1000 gallons, 2000 gallons, or 5000 gallons, the conversion process is the same. We simply multiply the large gallons amount by the litre conversion ratio.
- 1000 gallons x 3.78541 litres/gallon = 3785.41 litres
- 2000 gallons x 3.78541 litres/gallon = 7570.82 litres
- 5000 gallons x 3.78541 litres/gallon = 18927.05 litres
So converting thousands or larger volumes of gallons into litres is just as straightforward as smaller amounts. The same conversion rate applies regardless of how big the volume is.
Comparing Gallon Sizes
When working with liquid gallons and litres, it is important to note that there are actually different gallon sizes in use around the world. The most common sizes are:
- US gallon – Equal to 231 cubic inches or exactly 3.78541 litres.
- Imperial gallon – Equal to 277.42 cubic inches or roughly 4.54609 litres.
So a US gallon and an imperial gallon are not the same volume. The imperial gallon is about 20% larger than the US gallon. This means if you see a fluid volume in “gallons”, you need to know which type of gallon is being referred to in order to select the right conversion ratio to litres.
Converting Imperial Gallons to Litres
If you have a volume in imperial gallons, the conversion ratio to use is:
- 1 imperial gallon = 4.54609 litres
So to convert from imperial gallons to litres, you would multiply the imperial gallon amount by 4.54609. For example:
- 20 imperial gallons x 4.54609 litres/imperial gallon = 90.9218 litres
- 55 imperial gallons x 4.54609 litres/imperial gallon = 249.53595 litres
This allows you to correctly convert imperial gallon volumes into litres for international trade or other purposes.
To summarize some of the key facts covered:
- There are approximately 166.5558 litres in a 44 gallon drum.
- The conversion ratio between US gallons and litres is:
- 1 US gallon = 3.78541 litres
- 1 litre = 0.26417 US gallons
- Imperial gallons are different from US gallons in size.
- Converting any volume of gallons to litres or vice versa is done using simple multiplication.
- Being able to switch between gallons and litres is useful for international trade, transportation, recipes, fuel consumption, fluid intakes, and more.
Converting between gallons and litres is straightforward using the established conversion ratios between the two units. For a 44 gallon drum, there are approximately 166.5558 litres when converted into the metric volume unit. Knowing the litre equivalent for gallons volumes is useful any time fluids need to be measured across different units for purposes of international commerce, medicine, engineering or other fields.