Chipotle is known for their delicious burritos, tacos, bowls, and salads. A key ingredient in many of their menu items is the tortilla. Tortillas add flavor, texture, and calories to dishes at Chipotle. But just how many calories are in one of their tortillas?
The Basics on Chipotle Tortillas
Chipotle offers two types of tortillas – flour and corn. Both options are freshly made in-house daily. The flour tortillas contain enriched bleached wheat flour, water, vegetable shortening, sugar, salt, dough conditioner, preservatives, and anti-caking agent. The corn tortillas contain corn masa flour, water, lime, salt, and trace minerals.
Flour tortillas tend to be higher in calories than corn. This is due to added ingredients like shortening and sugar. Flour also contains more calories per gram compared to corn. But the exact calorie counts can vary slightly between the different size tortillas Chipotle offers.
Calories in Flour Tortillas at Chipotle
Here are the calories for Chipotle’s flour tortillas:
- 6-inch flour tortilla: 300 calories
- 8-inch flour tortilla (soft): 370 calories
- 10-inch flour tortilla (crispy): 460 calories
As you can see, the calorie content increases quite a bit with tortilla size. A 10-inch crispy flour shell packs over 150 more calories than a 6-inch soft tortilla.
Keep in mind that most burritos and tacos at Chipotle use the larger 8-inch and 10-inch tortillas. So choosing one of these dishes will add significantly more calories from the tortilla compared to a salad or bowl with a smaller 6-inch tortilla.
Calories in Corn Tortillas at Chipotle
Here are the calories for Chipotle’s corn tortillas:
- 6-inch corn tortilla: 210 calories
- 8-inch corn tortilla (soft): 260 calories
Corn tortillas are lower in calories than flour. Even the 8-inch corn tortilla packs over 100 fewer calories than the same size flour version. This makes corn a great option if you are looking to cut calories.
Comparing Tortilla Calories to Other Menu Items
To put the tortilla calorie counts into perspective, here’s how they compare to some other popular Chipotle menu items:
|Flour Tortilla (10-inch)||460|
|Chicken Burrito with Rice, Beans, Salsa||1000|
|Steak Burrito Bowl with Rice, Beans, Salsa||625|
|Crispy Corn Taco with Chicken||200|
As you can see, the tortillas make up a significant portion of calories in items like the chicken and steak burritos. Choosing lower calorie fillings like salsa and vegetables can help balance out the calories from the tortilla.
Ways to Reduce Calories from Tortillas
Here are some tips for lowering the calories when ordering dishes with tortillas at Chipotle:
- Opt for corn tortillas instead of higher calorie flour
- Stick to the 6-inch size tortillas when possible
- For burritos, ask for a bowl without the tortilla on the side
- Choose soft taco shells instead of crunchy taco shells
- Load up on lower calorie toppings like salsa, lettuce, and tomatoes
- Skip extras like cheese, sour cream, and guacamole
Healthiest Low-Calorie Tortilla Options
If you want to keep your meal under 500 calories, here are some of the best low-calorie tortilla choices at Chipotle:
- Soft corn taco with chicken, salsa, lettuce, and tomatoes (200 calories)
- Salad bowl with chicken, salsa, lettuce, beans, and 6-inch corn tortilla (500 calories)
- Chicken burrito bowl with brown rice, black beans, fajita veggies, and tomato salsa (500 calories)
Making Your Own Low-Calorie Tortillas at Home
In addition to ordering lower calorie options at Chipotle, you can also make healthy homemade tortillas with just a few simple ingredients:
- Combine 1 cup corn masa flour or whole wheat flour with water and a pinch of salt. Knead into a dough.
- Roll dough into thin rounds and cook briefly on a hot skillet until lightly browned.
Homemade tortillas have fewer calories and ingredients than store-bought options. You can control the ingredients to emphasize nutrition. Fill them with lean protein, produce, and other healthy toppings for a low-calorie meal.
Chipotle tortillas can range from around 200 calories for a small corn tortilla up to 460 calories for a large crispy flour tortilla. Choosing lower calorie fillings, limiting tortilla size, and opting for corn over flour are some ways to reduce the calorie impact. With the right combinations, you can keep your meal under 500 calories. Making your own tortillas at home is also a great way control calories and ingredients.