The Taco Bell Mexican Pizza is a popular menu item that has been around for decades. It consists of a tortilla shell filled with beans, pizza sauce, beef, tomatoes, and a blend of Mexican spices and cheeses. For those who like extra protein, getting one with added beans packs an extra nutritional punch. But with the additional beans comes additional calories. So just how many calories are in a Taco Bell Mexican Pizza with beans? Let’s take a closer look.
Calories in the Original Mexican Pizza
According to the Taco Bell website, a standard Mexican Pizza without beans contains the following nutrition facts:
So a standard Mexican Pizza without any additions contains 340 calories. This comes from 16g of fat, 34g of carbohydrates, and 18g of protein.
Calories Added from Beans
When you add beans to the Mexican Pizza, you are adding an extra ingredient that increases the calorie, carbohydrate, and protein counts.
According to Taco Bell, a side of refried beans contains the following nutrition information:
So a standard side of refried beans adds 110 calories, mostly from carbohydrates.
When added to the Mexican Pizza, you won’t be getting a full side of beans. The beans will be spread out over the pizza. But you’ll still be adding a significant number of extra calories.
A reasonable estimate is that adding beans to your Mexican Pizza will add around 80-100 extra calories.
Total Calorie Count
Taking into account the 340 calories in the original Mexican Pizza and the estimated 80-100 calories added from a portion of beans, the total calorie count comes out to:
So in summary, a Taco Bell Mexican Pizza with added beans contains approximately 420-440 calories.
This is a significant calorie count, providing about 20-25% of the daily recommended calorie intake for an average adult. For some people trying to watch their calorie intake, that may be too high for a single menu item.
But the beans do add extra protein and fiber, which help provide a fuller, more satisfied feeling after eating. The complete nutritional breakdown is worth considering.
Full Nutrition Facts
Based on Taco Bell’s data, here is the full nutritional breakdown for a Mexican Pizza with beans:
Key Nutritional Aspects
Looking at these full nutritional facts, here are some key points:
– The Mexican Pizza with beans provides a substantial amount of protein (23-25g). This helps contribute to a filling meal.
– The fiber is also increased (9-10g) through the addition of beans. Fiber aids digestion.
– Saturated fat is quite high (8-8.5g) coming from the meats, cheese, and shell. This should be limited in a healthy diet.
– Sodium is very high (1120-1200mg). The average daily limit is 1500mg, so this one menu item provides a large portion of the recommended limit.
So in terms of nutrients, the Mexican Pizza with beans provides a lot of good things like protein and fiber, but also less desirable components like saturated fat and sodium. As part of an overall healthy diet, moderation and balance is key.
If you want to limit calories, saturated fat, or sodium, there are lower calorie alternatives to adding beans. Some options include:
– Asking for extra tomato instead of beans. This will provide added texture and moisture without the extra calories.
– Opting for black beans instead of refried beans. Black beans are lower in sodium and fat.
– Choosing reduced-fat cheese or asking for light on the cheese. This substantially cuts saturated fat.
– Removing the beef for a vegetarian version. Going all bean-based instead of half beef and half bean reduces overall fat, saturated fat and sodium.
Making adjustments like these can create a Mexican Pizza with fewer calories than the 420-440 range with added refried beans. The customization allows you to achieve a personalized nutrition profile.
Taco Bell Nutrition Calculator
To get an exact calorie count tailored to the specific Mexican Pizza configurations you want, the best tool is the Taco Bell Nutrition Calculator.
This calculator on their website allows you to add and remove ingredients to see real-time updates to the nutrition facts. You can experiment to design the optimal Mexican Pizza based on your nutrition goals.
The calculator also provides full data on all micronutrients, so you can analyze the vitamin and mineral content as well. This is useful for those tracking their full dietary profiles rather than just calories.
Here is the link to access the Taco Bell Nutrition Calculator:
Comparisons to Other Taco Bell Items
To put the 420-440 calories of the Mexican Pizza with beans in context, here is how it compares to some other popular Taco Bell menu items:
As you can see, the Mexican Pizza fits somewhere in the middle of Taco Bell’s calorie range. It contains more calories than basic tacos, but less than heavy hitters like the Quesadilla or Nachos BellGrande.
When creating a balanced Taco Bell meal, the Mexican Pizza can be a higher calorie centerpiece balanced out with lower calorie sides like a crunchy taco. Or it could itself be the lower calorie option paired with even higher calorie items. There are lots of combinations possible while staying within recommended daily calorie limits.
Nutrition Tips for Taco Bell
When dining at fast food chains like Taco Bell, there are some general nutrition tips to keep in mind:
– Review nutrition facts online and use calorie/nutrient calculators to make informed choices
– Watch portion sizes – sharing/splitting items or choosing smaller versions can prevent overeating
– Pick healthier prep methods (grilled vs fried), lower fat options, and nutrient rich add-ons like extra veggies
– Balance higher calorie entrées with lower calorie sides and drinks
– Skip high calorie and low nutrient extras like chips, queso, and creamy sauces
– Hydrate with water instead of drinking your calories through sugary sodas
Making customizations and balanced choices allows you to enjoy Taco Bell more nutritiously. A Mexican Pizza with beans can be part of an overall healthy diet when enjoyed in moderation alongside other wholesome foods.
To summarize key points:
– A standard Taco Bell Mexican Pizza contains 340 calories
– Adding a portion of beans contributes around 80-100 extra calories
– Therefore, a Mexican Pizza with beans has an estimated 420-440 total calories
– Exact calories can be determined using Taco Bell’s nutrition calculator
– Beans add beneficial protein and fiber but also saturated fat and sodium
– Alternatives like tomatoes, black beans, and no meat can lower calories
– The Mexican Pizza has a moderate calorie count compared to other Taco Bell options
– Following general healthy fast food tips allows you to enjoy it as part of a nutritious diet
So a Taco Bell Mexican Pizza with beans can be a tasty menu item when consumed mindfully and in moderation. Knowing the calorie content and making customizations allows you to indulge while still meeting your nutritional needs.