A Supreme Doritos Locos Taco from Taco Bell is a crunchy taco shell made from Doritos nacho cheese chips and filled with typical taco ingredients like seasoned beef, lettuce, tomatoes, sour cream, and cheddar cheese. With its combination of flavors and textures, this taco has become one of Taco Bell’s most popular menu items. But like any fast food, it does come with a considerable amount of calories. So just how many calories are in a Supreme Doritos Locos Taco? Let’s take a closer look.
Nutrition Facts for a Supreme Doritos Locos Taco
According to Taco Bell’s website, the nutrition information for a standard Supreme Doritos Locos Taco is:
So a standard Supreme Doritos Locos Taco contains 170 calories. This calorie count is for the standard taco size sold at most Taco Bell locations.
Calories Can Vary By Size
It’s important to note that Taco Bell offers the Supreme Doritos Locos Taco in different sizes, which changes the calorie count. The nutrition information breaks down as follows:
- Small Supreme Doritos Locos Taco: 150 calories
- Standard Supreme Doritos Locos Taco: 170 calories
- Large Supreme Doritos Locos Taco: 190 calories
So the small size contains 150 calories, while the large contains 190 calories. The standard size that is most commonly sold has 170 calories.
Ingredients in a Supreme Doritos Locos Taco
To understand what accounts for all these calories, let’s look at the ingredients that go into making a Supreme Doritos Locos Taco:
- Doritos Nacho Cheese Flavored Taco Shell – The cornerstone ingredient, this crunchy taco shell is made from ground up Doritos chips so it contains nacho cheese flavoring.
- Seasoned Beef – Taco Bell uses a seasoned ground beef mixture to fill their tacos.
- Lettuce – The taco contains crisp shredded lettuce.
- Cheese – A three cheese blend of cheddar, pepper jack, and mozzarella cheese is used.
- Tomatoes – Diced tomatoes provide freshness.
- Sour Cream – Fat-rich sour cream is drizzled over the top.
So while tacos are generally thought of as a healthier fast food option, the Supreme Doritos Locos Taco packs a caloric punch with its fried taco shell, seasoned beef, cheese, sour cream, and lack of other fresh vegetables like the traditional cilantro and onion.
Calories from Fat vs. Carbs vs. Protein
Taking a closer look at where those calories come from:
- Total Fat: 9g – 81 calories
- Saturated Fat: 3.5g – 32 calories
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Cholesterol: 25mg – 8 calories
- Sodium: 320mg – 0 calories
- Total Carbohydrates: 15g – 60 calories
- Dietary Fiber: 2g
- Sugars: 1g
- Protein: 7g – 28 calories
So out of the 170 total calories in a Supreme Doritos Locos Taco:
- 81 calories come from fat
- 60 calories come from carbohydrates
- 28 calories come from protein
This breakdown shows that nearly half of the calories come from fat due to the fried shell, beef, and sour cream. Carbohydrates make up the second highest calorie source, while protein accounts for the smallest amount of calories.
How the Calories Compare to Other Taco Bell Items
Compared to other items on the Taco Bell menu, the Supreme Doritos Locos Taco is moderate in its calorie count. Here’s how it compares:
With 170 calories, the Supreme Doritos Locos Taco has a similar calorie count to the classic crunchy taco. It’s lower in calories compared to heavier items like the nachos, burritos, and Mexican pizza. So while the Supreme Doritos Locos Taco does contain a significant amount of calories, it’s not the worst option on the menu.
Tips for Lightening the Calorie Count
If you want to reduce the calorie count of your Supreme Doritos Locos Taco, there are a few tweaks you can make:
- Order the small size instead of regular or large.
- Skip the sour cream, which will save you around 20 calories and a few grams of fat.
- Ask for extra tomatoes, lettuce, and onions instead of cheese and beef.
- Swap the taco shell for a soft taco or bowl.
- Add other fresh vegetables like cilantro and jalapeños for more fiber.
Using these simple tricks can reduce the calories in your Supreme Doritos Locos Taco by 50-100 calories, making it a more diet-friendly option.
The Healthiest Ways to Eat a Supreme Doritos Locos Taco
While the Supreme Doritos Locos Taco is always going to be an indulgent fast food menu item, there are some healthy ways you can enjoy it in moderation:
- Stick to the small size taco to control portions.
- Eat it alongside a salad or vegetable side for added nutrition.
- Balance it out by eating a lighter, lower calorie meal earlier in the day.
- Split it with a friend or save half for later to prevent overeating.
- Squeeze some lime juice over top for a flavor and vitamin C boost.
- Drink water instead of soda to avoid excess sugar and calories.
- Walk or exercise after eating to burn off some of the calories.
While it’s higher in calories than some other fast food options, the Supreme Doritos Locos Taco can be incorporated into an overall healthy diet when you implement portion control, add nutrition, and burn off the calories.
Should You Eat a Supreme Doritos Locos Taco on a Diet?
If you’re following a strict diet for weight loss, the Supreme Doritos Locos Taco may not be the best option for a few reasons:
- It’s higher in calories and fat than recommended for reduced calorie diets.
- The refined carbs from the shell and carb-heavy toppings can spike blood sugar.
- There are minimal whole food sources of protein and fiber.
- The high sodium content can be problematic for heart health.
- It doesn’t provide much nutritional value compared to calories.
However, enjoyed occasionally in moderation, it can be worked into a healthy lifestyle. Here are some diet tips for eating Supreme Doritos Locos Tacos:
- Have it once a week or less frequently as a treat.
- Stick to the small size and skip high-calorie toppings.
- Swap the shell for a lower carb bowl or soft taco.
- Eat slowly and mindfully to prevent overeating.
- Drink plenty of water and exercise daily to promote weight loss.
- Focus on healthy, fiber-rich foods for other meals.
While it’s not the best choice for every day, enjoying a Supreme Doritos Locos Taco occasionally won’t sabotage your diet if you practice control and moderation.
Should You Avoid Eating Supreme Doritos Locos Tacos on a Diet?
Some diets and nutrition plans recommend avoiding fast foods completely when trying to lose weight. Here are some reasons you may want to avoid Supreme Doritos Locos Tacos while dieting:
- The calorie density makes it harder to stay in a calorie deficit.
- It can spur cravings for more unhealthy foods.
- The fat and sodium content may negatively impact heart health.
- It offers minimal nutritional benefits compared to calories.
- The refined carbs lack fiber and nutrients.
- The addictive Doritos flavors make it hard to stop at just one.
With that said, an occasional indulgence won’t sabotage your efforts as long as you plan for it and balance it out.
Here are healthy ways to satisfy a taco craving while dieting:
- Ground turkey or lettuce wrap tacos
- Shrimp or fish tacos on corn tortillas
- Tacos on baked tortilla chips
- Chicken or vegetable taco salad
In general, it’s smart to limit fast food including the Supreme Doritos Locos Taco when focusing on weight loss. But the occasional taco night won’t ruin your diet if you practice moderation.
The Supreme Doritos Locos Taco from Taco Bell provides a flavorful blend of crispy fried shell, spiced beef, cool lettuce, cheese, and tangy salsa. But all these indulgent flavors come at a cost with one regular taco clocking in at 170 calories. The small size contains 150 calories, while the large packs a bigger punch with 190 calories. About half the calories come from fat due to the shell and toppings like sour cream. While not the healthiest menu option, enjoyed in moderation, the Supreme Doritos Locos Taco can be incorporated into an overall balanced diet.