Yuengling beer is a popular lager brewed by D.G. Yuengling & Son, Inc. in Pottsville, Pennsylvania. It’s one of America’s oldest breweries, having been founded in 1829. Yuengling beer comes in a variety of styles, but the traditional Yuengling lager is the flagship brew.
There are approximately 153 calories in a 12 ounce can of Yuengling Traditional Lager beer.
Calories and Nutrition Facts for Yuengling Beer
Here are the nutrition facts for a 12 ounce can of Yuengling Traditional Lager (4.4% alcohol by volume):
|Serving Size||12 fl oz (355 ml)|
As you can see, a 12 ounce can of Yuengling contains 153 calories, 12.6 grams of carbohydrates, and 1.3 grams of protein. It’s relatively high in calories compared to some light beers, which often contain around 100 calories per 12 ounce serving.
The calorie content comes mainly from the alcohol and carbohydrates. Beer gets most of its calories from alcohol, with some additional calories from the grains used in brewing. Yuengling is a moderately strong lager, so the alcohol contributes a significant amount of calories.
Calories in Different Yuengling Beer Styles
In addition to the Traditional Lager, Yuengling produces other styles of beer including:
- Light Lager – 99 calories per 12 oz
- Black & Tan – 153 calories per 12 oz
- Porter – 156 calories per 12 oz
- Lord Chesterfield Ale – 167 calories per 12 oz
- Oktoberfest – 174 calories per 12 oz
The light lager version contains significantly fewer calories due to its lower alcohol content (2.7% ABV). Meanwhile, the Lord Chesterfield Ale and Oktoberfest contain more calories since they have slightly higher alcohol contents.
Does Yuengling Have More or Less Calories Than Other Beers?
Yuengling’s calorie count is fairly typical for an American adjunct lager. Here’s how it compares to some other popular domestic beers:
|Beer (12 oz serving)||Calories|
|Yuengling Traditional Lager||153|
|Miller High Life||147|
|Pabst Blue Ribbon||144|
Yuengling contains a similar number of calories as Budweiser, Miller High Life, and PBR. It has slightly more calories than typical light beers like Coors Light. Overall, Yuengling is average in calories for its beer style.
Tips for Consuming Yuengling in a Calorie-Conscious Way
Here are some tips if you’re looking to enjoy Yuengling while watching your calorie intake:
- Stick to the light lager, which contains around 100 calories per bottle
- Drink from cans or bottles instead of draft – draught beers are often higher in calories
- Practice portion control – drink 12 ounces or less in one sitting
- Drink slowly to make one beer last longer
- Avoid drinking on an empty stomach which can lead to overconsumption
- Alternate with water to pace yourself and stay hydrated
- Don’t drink multiple beers back-to-back, space them out over time instead
Moderation is key – one or two Yuengling beers can be enjoyed sensibly as part of an overall healthy diet.
The Health Benefits and Drawbacks of Yuengling Beer
Like other beers, Yuengling does contain some nutrients from the grains and hops used to brew it, including:
- B vitamins – small amounts of riboflavin, niacin, pantothenic acid and pyridoxine
- Minerals – magnesium, potassium, phosphorus, zinc and copper
- Antioxidants – from hops
- Polyphenols – phytochemicals from malt with antioxidant properties
However, the alcohol and calories outweigh any small nutritional benefits. Excessive beer consumption is linked to increased disease risk:
- Weight gain – beer can contribute significant calories
- High blood pressure
- Heart disease
- Liver damage
Drinking in moderation, defined as 1 drink per day for women and 2 drinks per day for men, can help minimize negative health effects.
How Many Calories Does Yuengling Have Compared to Wine and Spirits?
Compared to other alcoholic beverages, beer like Yuengling is relatively moderate in calories:
|Beverage (5oz serving)||Calories|
|Whiskey (40% ABV)||97|
|Vodka (40% ABV)||96|
Spirits like whiskey and vodka contain fewer calories ounce-for-ounce than beer. However, beer’s lower alcohol content means you would typically drink more liquid volume of beer than hard liquor in one sitting.
Tips for Reducing Calories in Cocktails with Yuengling
You can reduce the calorie count of cocktails made with Yuengling by:
- Using light mixers like diet soda, sparkling water or unsweetened iced tea
- Skipping high-calorie mix-ins like fruit juices or creamy liquors
- Going easy on sugary syrups and juices
- Garnishing with herbs, spices or citrus instead of salty snacks
- Mixing with spirits like whiskey or vodka instead of using only beer
Some examples of lower-calorie Yuengling cocktail options include:
- Yuengling and soda water with lemon
- Yuengling, vodka and diet ginger ale
- Yuengling mixed with diet iced tea
- Yuengling and whiskey on the rocks with a splash of bitters
Does Yuengling Have Carbs?
Yes, Yuengling does contain carbohydrates from the grains used in the brewing process. A 12 ounce serving of Yuengling Traditional Lager has about 12.6 grams of carbs.
Beer gets most of its carbs from the malted barley and other grains that are fermented to produce alcohol. Hops and any other starchy adjuncts like rice or corn can also contribute some carbs.
Yuengling is considered a moderately high-carb beer compared to low-carb options:
|Beer (12oz serving)||Grams of Carbs|
|Yuengling Traditional Lager||12.6|
Low-carb and light beers like Michelob Ultra and Miller Lite keep carb counts down by using more rice or corn adjuncts instead of barley malt.
Is Yuengling Considered a High-Calorie Beer?
At 153 calories per 12oz serving, Yuengling would not be considered a high-calorie beer. Regular lagers like Yuengling typically range from 140-160 calories.
Higher calorie beers include:
- Craft IPAs and double IPAs – 200-300 calories
- High alcohol beers – 180+ calories
- Thick stouts and porters – 180-250 calories
- Fruited sours, wheats, and hefeweizens – 180-220 calories
So while Yuengling has slightly more calories than a light beer, it’s by no means high-calorie compared to stronger beer styles.
How Can You Burn off the Calories from Yuengling?
Here are some estimates of how much exercise it would take to burn off the 153 calories in a can of Yuengling:
- Walking – 30 minutes
- Jogging – 15 minutes
- Biking – 12 minutes
- Swimming – 15 minutes
- Weightlifting – 15 minutes
- Yoga – 30 minutes
As you can see, typical moderate exercise for 15-30 minutes is enough to offset a can of Yuengling. Just keep in mind that excess calories consumed from any source – whether beer, food, soda, etc – will eventually lead to weight gain over time if not balanced with adequate exercise.
In summary, Yuengling lager contains about 153 calories in a standard 12oz serving. This puts it in the average range for calories compared to other domestic lagers like Budweiser or Miller. Yuengling also contains moderate amounts of carbs, mostly from the malted barley used in brewing. While Yuengling does pack more calories than light beers or hard liquors, it can be incorporated into a balanced diet in moderation. Just keep portions limited to one serving a day for women or two for men, and counteract the calories with regular exercise.