Funfetti cake mix has become a wildly popular baking item over the past few years. The colorful sprinkles baked into the cake provide a festive look for any occasion. But is this beloved cake mix safe for people with celiac disease or gluten sensitivity?
What is Funfetti?
Funfetti is a type of cake mix made by Pillsbury. It contains sugar, enriched flour, vegetable oil, whey, leavening, cornstarch, salt, artificial flavors, and colored sprinkles. The sprinkles are what gives Funfetti its colorful, confetti-like appearance.
Funfetti cake mixes come in different varieties:
- Original Funfetti
- Funfetti Delights
- Funfetti Chocolate Chip
- Funfetti Cheesecake
- Funfetti Sugar Cookie
- Funfetti Unicorn
The Original Funfetti mix results in a vanilla cake with sprinkles. The other varieties have additional mix-ins like chocolate chips, cheesecake flakes, or cookie pieces.
Does Funfetti Contain Gluten?
Yes, standard Pillsbury Funfetti cake mix contains gluten.
The third ingredient listed on the Original Funfetti mix is enriched bleached flour. Flour comes from grains like wheat, barley, or rye which contain the protein gluten. This means Funfetti cake mix is not gluten-free.
People with celiac disease or gluten sensitivity need to avoid products containing gluten to prevent adverse health effects. Consuming gluten causes damage to the small intestine for those with gluten intolerance.
So anyone following a strict gluten-free diet will need to avoid Funfetti and other traditional cake mixes that contain flour.
Gluten-Free Funfetti Alternatives
While regular Funfetti has gluten, there are a few gluten-free Funfetti options:
1. Make a Gluten-Free Funfetti Cake from Scratch
You can create a gluten-free Funfetti cake using your own recipe and ingredients.
Use all-purpose gluten-free flour rather than regular flour. Bob’s Red Mill, King Arthur, and Betty Crocker all make gluten-free baking mixes.
Add in Funfetti sprinkles or jimmies to recreate the classic Funfetti look. Add them to the dry ingredients when mixing the cake batter.
2. Try an Officially Licensed Gluten-Free Funfetti Mix
Pillsbury partnered with Blain’s Farm & Fleet stores to create an official gluten-free Funfetti cake mix.
This provides the convenience of a regular box cake mix without the gluten. The ingredients include rice flour, potato starch, and xanthan gum instead of wheat flour.
The gluten-free Funfetti mix features the classic rainbow sprinkles and has largely the same taste as the original. It’s currently only available at Blain’s Farm & Fleet stores.
3. Use a Different Brand’s Gluten-Free Funfetti-Style Mix
A few other companies make gluten-free cake mixes with sprinkles similar to Funfetti:
- Betty Crocker Gluten Free Funfetti Mix
- Duncan Hines Gluten Free Funfetti Mix
- King Arthur Gluten Free Funfetti Cake Mix
- Bob’s Red Mill Gluten Free Vanilla Cake Mix with Sprinkles
These contain a blend of gluten-free flours and starches, along with colored sprinkles. They provide the Funfetti visual without wheat, barley or rye.
Always check the ingredients on gluten-free labeled products. Some brands may have trace amounts of gluten or be made on shared equipment.
Can Funfetti Be Made Gluten-Free?
No, regular Funfetti cake mix that contains wheat flour cannot be made gluten-free.
Removing the sprinkles would not make the mix gluten-free. The flour itself contains the gluten protein.
There is no way to convert standard Funfetti to a gluten-free cake mix. You would have to start with a gluten-free recipe and ingredients.
What About Funfetti Frosting?
Funfetti cake is not complete withoutFunfetti frosting loaded with sprinkles!
The good news is Pillsbury Funfetti frosting is gluten-free. Pillsbury has confirmed their Funfetti frostings do not contain any gluten ingredients.
So while the regular Funfetti cake mix has gluten, you can safely top your gluten-free Funfetti cake with Funfetti frosting.
Funfetti Gluten-Free Status Summary
|Pillsbury Original Funfetti Cake Mix
|Pillsbury Funfetti Gluten-Free Cake Mix (exclusive to Blain’s Farm & Fleet)
|Betty Crocker Gluten Free Funfetti Cake Mix
|Duncan Hines Gluten Free Funfetti Cake Mix
|King Arthur Gluten Free Funfetti Cake Mix
|Bob’s Red Mill Gluten Free Vanilla Cake Mix with Sprinkles
|Pillsbury Funfetti Frosting
Is Funfetti Dairy Free?
Original Funfetti cake mix contains milk ingredients like whey powder. This means it is not dairy-free.
However, some brands like Duncan Hines make dairy-free Funfetti cake mixes. These use plant-based ingredients in place of milk products.
Always check the label if you need a dairy-free diet. Funfetti flavors like chocolate chip or cheesecake may contain dairy while others don’t.
The Funfetti frosting is dairy-based as well. Opt for dairy-free frosting to top your Funfetti cake if needed.
Funfetti Cake Nutrition Facts
Like most cakes and baked goods, Funfetti cake is high in carbohydrates from sugar and refined flour.
Here are the nutrition facts for a serving (1/12th cake) of Funfetti cake made from a 15.25oz mix:
Each serving provides 11% of the Daily Value for fat, 17% for carbohydrates and sodium, and 4% for protein.
The high sugar content delivers empty calories and spikes blood sugar levels. The enriched bleached flour also offers minimal nutrients.
So Funfetti cake is best enjoyed occasionally as a treat. Choose whole food options like fruit or yogurt for daily snacks.
Finding Funfetti Gluten-Free Recipes
A quick internet search will uncover many gluten-free Funfetti cake recipes. Here are some top options:
Gluten-Free Funfetti Cake
Recipe from: Gluten Free on a Shoestring
This moist Funfetti cake uses almond flour, coconut flour, cornstarch, and xanthan gum for the gluten-free flour blend. It includes dairy, so omit the sour cream and milk for a dairy-free version.
Vegan Funfetti Cake
Recipe from: Loving It Vegan
Make a vegan and gluten-free Funfetti cake with rice flour, tapioca starch, and coconut milk. It’s egg, dairy, and nut-free for allergy-friendly baking.
Paleo Funfetti Cake
Recipe from: Texanerin
Almond flour, coconut flour, and arrowroot starch make this cake paleo-friendly. Use ghee instead of butter for a dairy-free paleo cake.
Gluten-Free Funfetti Sheet Cake
Recipe from: Beaming Baker
A simple sheet cake recipe with gluten-free oat flour and cornstarch. Dairy-free by using coconut oil and almond milk.
Keto Funfetti Cake
Recipe from: Wholesome Yum
With almond flour, coconut flour, eggs, and butter, this cake is low carb and gluten-free. Perfect for keto and paleo diets.
Funfetti Cupcakes, Cookies & More
The fun sprinkles baked into Funfetti cake work nicely in all kinds of dessert recipes. You can make gluten-free versions of these Funfetti recipes:
- Funfetti cupcakes – Top with gluten-free Funfetti frosting
- Funfetti cookies – Swap all-purpose flour for a gluten-free blend
- Funfetti pancakes – Use gluten-free pancake mix
- Funfetti brownies – Try black bean brownies for an extra healthy treat
- Funfetti bread or muffins – Make with gluten-free flour
- Funfetti cereal treats – Use gluten-free crispy rice cereal
- Funfetti milkshake – Blend with dairy-free ice cream
Let your creativity run wild with different ways to include those colorful sprinkles!
Where to Buy Gluten-Free Funfetti
Finding gluten-free Funfetti can take some searching. Here are the best places to look:
- Blain’s Farm & Fleet – For Pillsbury’s official Funfetti gluten-free cake mix
- Online – Order gluten-free options from Amazon, Walmart, Target, etc.
- Grocer’s gluten-free section – Larger chains like Kroger, Albertsons, and Publix may carry it
- Health food stores – Sprouts, Whole Foods, Earthfare
- Gluten-free bakeries – Call ahead to ask if they make gluten-free Funfetti desserts
You can also find numerous gluten-free Funfetti mixes and recipes online. Search for “gluten free funfetti cake mix” or similar terms.
Local stores are improving their gluten-free selections but may still have limited options on the shelf. Reaching out to managers at supermarkets can request they order products like gluten-free Funfetti.
Funfetti Cake Mix Recipe from Scratch
Here is a recipe to make gluten-free Funfetti cake completely from scratch:
- 1 1⁄4 cups (156g) gluten-free flour blend (see below)
- 3⁄4 cup (150g) granulated sugar
- 1 1⁄2 tsp (6g) baking powder
- 1⁄2 tsp (3g) kosher salt
- 1⁄4 tsp (0.5g) xanthan gum*
- 1/3 cup (80ml) neutral oil
- 2 eggs, at room temperature
- 1 tsp (5ml) vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 cup (120ml) milk of choice, at room temperature
- 1⁄4 to 1⁄3 cup (35-45g) rainbow sprinkles
For Flour Blend:
- 1 cup (128g) gluten-free all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup (40g) white rice flour
- 2 tbsp (16g) potato starch
- 2 tbsp (16g) tapioca starch
*Omit xanthan gum if your blend already contains it
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease an 8-inch cake pan and line with parchment.
- Make the flour blend. Whisk together the flours, starch, xanthan gum.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the flour blend, sugar, baking powder and salt.
- In a large bowl, beat the oil and eggs. Beat in the vanilla.
- Add half the dry ingredients to the wet and mix. Then add the milk and mix.
- Slowly beat in the remaining dry ingredients until just combined.
- Fold in the sprinkles.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and spread evenly.
- Bake 25-28 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Let cool completely before frosting.
This from-scratch Funfetti cake recipe allows you to control the ingredients. You can use dairy-free milk and egg substitutes to make it completely allergy-friendly.
Top with dairy-free vanilla frosting and extra sprinkles for the full Funfetti look!
While traditional Funfetti cake mix does contain gluten, there are plenty of easy gluten-free Funfetti options available. With so many recipes and premixed brands using alternative flours and starches, you don’t have to miss out on this festive cake. Carefully checking labels for gluten-free status ensures the colorful sprinkles will be safe for your diet. With a few adjustments, Funfetti can be enjoyed by people whether they eat gluten-free, dairy-free, or other special diets. Now go enjoy a big slice of gluten-free Funfetti cake!