Krusteaz gluten free cinnamon swirl mix makes 12 muffins per box. The mix comes in a 15 ounce box that contains enough dry ingredients to make one batch of muffins. To make the full recipe, you just need to add a few wet ingredients like oil, eggs, and milk.
An Overview of Krusteaz Gluten Free Cinnamon Swirl Muffin Mix
Krusteaz is a company that makes a variety of baking mixes, including gluten free options like their cinnamon swirl muffin mix. Their gluten free mixes are made without wheat, barley, rye or oats, so they are safe for people with celiac disease or gluten sensitivities.
The cinnamon swirl muffin mix is one of Krusteaz’s most popular gluten free mixes. It contains a dry blend of ingredients to make cinnamon muffins with a swirl of cinnamon through the middle. The main dry ingredients are rice flour, potato starch, tapioca flour, brown sugar, baking powder, xanthan gum, and cinnamon.
To make a batch of 12 cinnamon swirl muffins with the Krusteaz mix, you need to add some wet ingredients. The wet ingredients include vegetable oil, eggs, milk, and water. The full recipe is included on the Krusteaz box and their website.
Nutrition Information for Krusteaz Gluten Free Cinnamon Swirl Muffins
Here is the nutrition information for one Krusteaz cinnamon swirl muffin:
- Calories: 160
- Total Fat: 7g
- Saturated Fat: 1g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Cholesterol: 25mg
- Sodium: 150mg
- Total Carbohydrate: 25g
- Dietary Fiber: 1g
- Total Sugars: 13g
- Includes 12g Added Sugars
- Protein: 2g
The muffins are higher in carbohydrates and total sugars, which is expected for a sweet bakery muffin. They contain 3g of protein per muffin and have a decent amount of dietary fiber at 1g per muffin.
Ingredients Needed to Make Krusteaz Gluten Free Cinnamon Swirl Muffins
Here are all the ingredients you’ll need to make a full batch of 12 cinnamon swirl muffins using the Krusteaz gluten free mix:
Dry Mix (included in box)
- Rice flour
- Potato starch
- Tapioca flour
- Brown sugar
- Baking powder
- Xanthan gum
- Vegetable oil
The exact measurements for each ingredient are listed on the Krusteaz box and on their website. You’ll need basic kitchen tools like a mixing bowl, muffin tin, spatula and measuring cups.
Step-by-Step Instructions to Make Krusteaz Gluten Free Cinnamon Swirl Muffins
Here is a step-by-step tutorial for making a batch of 12 cinnamon swirl muffins using the Krusteaz gluten free mix:
- Preheat oven – Preheat your oven to 375°F. You’ll bake the muffins at this temperature.
- Grease muffin tin – Take a 12-cup muffin tin and grease it or line with paper liners. This prevents sticking.
- Mix dry ingredients – In a medium bowl, mix together the dry muffin mix from the Krusteaz box.
- Whisk wet ingredients – In a separate bowl, whisk together the wet ingredients called for on the box.
- Combine & mix batter – Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients. Stir just until combined being careful not to overmix.
- Spoon batter into tin – Use a spoon to divide the muffin batter evenly among the 12 prepared muffin cups.
- Make cinnamon swirl – In a small bowl, mix cinnamon and sugar. Spoon this over the top of the batter in a swirling pattern.
- Bake muffins – Bake at 375°F for 17-20 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool and serve – Allow muffins to cool at least 10 minutes before removing from pan. Enjoy!
Be sure to check doneness after 17 minutes then continue baking if needed. The cinnamon swirl winding through the muffins gives them an extra burst of cinnamon flavor!
Tips for Making the Best Krusteaz Cinnamon Swirl Muffins
Here are some helpful tips to ensure you end up with delicious gluten free cinnamon swirl muffins using the Krusteaz mix:
- Use room temperature wet ingredients – Cold ingredients like eggs and milk can impact the baking time.
- Don’t overmix the batter – Gentle folding preserves the air bubbles for light muffins.
- Fill muffin cups evenly – This ensures the muffins bake evenly and look uniform.
- Make cinnamon swirl generous – Don’t skimp on the cinnamon-sugar topping mixture.
- Check doneness early – Gluten free baked goods can cook faster than wheat versions.
- Let muffins cool before removing – Allowing them to set makes them easier to remove neatly.
- Store muffins at room temp – Don’t refrigerate them or they will dry out faster.
How to Adapt the Recipe for Different Portion Sizes
The Krusteaz gluten free cinnamon swirl muffin mix makes one batch of 12 standard size muffins. But you can adapt the recipe to make fewer or more muffins:
For 24 mini muffins:
- Grease mini muffin pans for 24 cups
- Divide batter among mini muffin cups
- Reduce baking time to 10-12 minutes
For 6 regular muffins:
- Grease a 6-cup muffin tin
- Divide batter evenly into 6 cups
- Bake for full 17-20 minutes
For 18 regular muffins:
- Grease two 12-cup muffin tins
- Divide batter evenly into 18 cups
- Bake for full timeframe
The baking temperature remains the same. Just keep an eye on doneness and adjust bake times as needed when making more or fewer muffins.
How to Store Leftover Krusteaz Gluten Free Muffins
Here are some tips for storing leftover gluten free cinnamon swirl muffins made with the Krusteaz mix:
- Room temperature: Store in a sealed container at room temp for up to 3 days.
- Refrigerator: Place in a resealable plastic bag or airtight container for 5-7 days.
- Freezer: Wrap individually in plastic wrap then place in a freezer bag. Keeps frozen for 2-3 months.
- Reviving: Thaw frozen muffins overnight in fridge. Freshen up with 10-15 seconds in microwave if needed.
The gluten free muffins stay freshest when stored properly and consumed within 3-4 days. They can dry out quickly so take care when storing or reheating leftovers.
Troubleshooting Common Baking Issues
Here are some common troubleshooting tips for potential problems when baking with the Krusteaz gluten free cinnamon swirl muffin mix:
|Dense, heavy muffins
|Avoid overmixing the batter, which deflates air bubbles. Fold wet and dry gently.
|Muffins stick to pan
|Always grease the muffin cups well before baking.
|Divide batter evenly among muffin cups.
|Dry, crumbly texture
|Check for doneness early. Gluten free baked goods can overbake faster.
|Muffins sink in middle
|Use room temperature wet ingredients and don’t overmix.
|Cinnamon doesn’t swirl
|Create channels in batter for cinnamon filling before baking.
Substitution and Add-In Ideas
You can customize the Krusteaz gluten free cinnamon swirl muffins in lots of tasty ways:
- Almond milk
- Coconut milk
- Almond flour
- Coconut flour
- Oat flour
- Coconut sugar
- Maple syrup
- Chopped nuts
- Dried fruit like cranberries
- Lemon or orange zest
- Vanilla extract
- Spices like nutmeg or ginger
- Shredded coconut
Feel free to get creative and make the cinnamon swirl muffins your own with custom add-ins!
How to Make Krusteaz Gluten Free Muffin Mix Vegan
You can easily adapt the Krusteaz gluten free cinnamon swirl muffin mix recipe to be vegan by swapping the wet ingredients:
- Use unsweetened non-dairy milk like almond, oat or soy milk instead of regular milk
- Replace the eggs with a vegan egg replacer like flax eggs, banana, applesauce or commercial egg replacer powder
- Use coconut oil or vegetable oil instead of butter
The dry muffin mix itself is already dairy-free and vegan. Follow the same instructions but with the vegan wet ingredients swapped in. Expect a slightly denser texture but still delicious cinnamon flavor!
Similar Recipes to Try
If you love the Krusteaz gluten free cinnamon swirl muffins, try out some of these tasty muffin recipes:
Gluten Free Lemon Blueberry Muffins
Bursting with fresh blueberry flavor and topped with lemon zest, these bright gluten free muffins are a delight. Almond flour gives them a hearty, nutty taste.
Gluten Free Pumpkin Muffins
Pumpkin puree and warm spices like cinnamon, ginger and nutmeg give these grain-free muffins the classic flavors of fall. Wholesome and satisfying.
Gluten Free Banana Oat Muffins
Ripe bananas and oat flour pack these muffins with fiber and potassium. The perfect energetic on-the-go breakfast or snack.
Gluten Free Carrot Apple Muffins
Carrots, applesauce and raisins make these muffins naturally sweetened and loaded with fiber. A tasty alternative to traditional carrot cake.
Krusteaz gluten free cinnamon swirl muffin mix makes baking up a delightfully spiced batch of 12 gluten free muffins easy. With a few simple wet ingredients added to their all-purpose dry mix, you can whip up bakery-style muffins with a touch of cinnamon in no time. Following the instructions carefully for mixing, baking times and storing will reward you with light and scrumptious muffins the whole family can enjoy. Experiment with fun add-ins or try the recipe vegan to customize these muffins to your tastes.