Piggly Wiggly is a popular grocery store chain found predominantly in the southeastern United States. With over 600 locations across 17 states, Piggly Wiggly offers shoppers quality products at affordable prices.
One product that shoppers may be looking for in Piggly Wiggly is cane patch syrup. Cane patch syrup is a cane sugar-based syrup that has a rich, molasses-like flavor and thick consistency. It’s often used as a pancake or waffle topping and to sweeten baked goods. But does Piggly Wiggly carry this sweet Southern staple?
What is Cane Patch Syrup?
Cane patch syrup goes by many names like ribbon cane, cane syrup, and even sorghum. But they all refer to the same richly flavored syrup made from the juice of sugar cane.
It’s produced by crushing sugar cane to extract the juice. The raw sugar cane juice is boiled down into a syrup, resulting in a very thick, dark syrup with a distinctive molasses taste.
Compared to maple syrup, cane syrup has a deeper, almost caramelized flavor. It’s popular drizzled over biscuits, pancakes, waffles and other breakfast foods in the South.
Some key facts about cane patch syrup:
- Made from sugar cane juice
- Has a robust, molasses-like flavor
- Very thick and dark syrup
- Used as a pancake/waffle topping
- Adds sweetness to baked goods
- A Southern specialty
Where is Cane Patch Syrup Produced?
The largest producers of cane syrup are in the Southeastern United States where sugar cane grows well. States like Louisiana, Florida, Georgia, Alabama and Mississippi produce most of the country’s cane syrup.
Louisiana is the top producer, accounting for over 3/4 of the cane syrup made in the U.S. Their warmer climate and unique strain of ribbon cane makes Louisiana an ideal place for cane syrup production.
Other warm southern states with a historic connection to sugar cane farming also produce cane syrup. So you’ll find it for sale at many local stores in the communities near the sugar cane fields.
Top Cane Syrup Producing States
Is Cane Patch Syrup Available at Piggly Wiggly?
With Piggly Wiggly supermarkets located throughout the Southeast, you may be wondering if cane syrup is sold at their stores?
The answer is yes! Piggly Wiggly does sell cane patch syrup, especially at locations in states where cane syrup production is highest like Louisiana, Georgia and Alabama.
Popular regional brands of cane syrup stocked at Piggly Wiggly include:
- Steen’s 100% Pure Cane Syrup (Louisiana)
- White Oak Plantation Cane Syrup (Georgia)
- Alaga Supreme Cane Syrup (Alabama)
In addition to the name brands, you may also find cane syrup produced by smaller, local suppliers in areas where cane syrup is popular. Be sure to check the syrup aisle when shopping at your local Piggly Wiggly.
Where to Find Cane Syrup at Piggly Wiggly
When searching for cane syrup at Piggly Wiggly, head to the syrup aisle. Look on shelves near the maple syrup, molasses, and pancake syrup.
You’ll find popular brands like Steen’s canned cane syrup or White Oak Plantation in jugs. The cane syrup selection will be largest at Piggly Wiggly locations in Louisiana, Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi and other Southern states.
How Much Does Cane Patch Syrup Cost at Piggly Wiggly?
The price of cane patch syrup at Piggly Wiggly will vary depending on the brand, size, and your location. But expect to pay somewhere between $3 to $8 for a smaller sized container.
Cane Syrup Prices at Piggly Wiggly
|Steen’s Cane Syrup
|$4.99 – $5.99
|White Oak Plantation
|$3.99 – $4.99
|$6.99 – $7.99
Larger sizes and organic options will be pricier. You can also find cane syrup discounted during holiday sales events leading up to Thanksgiving and Christmas when demand is highest.
What Brand of Cane Syrup Does Piggly Wiggly Sell?
Piggly Wiggly sells a variety of popular cane syrup brands like:
- Steen’s: The most well-known brand, Steen’s 100% Pure Cane Syrup is made in Louisiana. Piggly Wiggly locations across the South carry it in 24 oz cans.
- White Oak Plantation: This Georgia-made cane syrup is sold at Piggly Wiggly in glass jugs and plastic containers.
- Alaga: An Alabama cane syrup brand you’ll find at Piggly Wiggly stores in that state.
- Blue Ribbon: Canned cane syrup from North Carolina available at some Piggly Wiggly stores.
- Local brands: Smaller regional brands are also sometimes carried.
Check the syrup selection at your nearest Piggly Wiggly to see the specific cane syrup brands stocked in that store.
Does Piggly Wiggly Have Their Own Store Brand of Cane Syrup?
No, Piggly Wiggly does not appear to have their own private label brand of cane syrup.
You won’t find any cane syrup sold under the Piggly Wiggly name. The stores only stock national and regional cane syrup brands like Steen’s, Alaga, Blue Ribbon, and others.
Without their own store brand, Piggly Wiggly has more flexibility to carry the top regional cane syrup brands preferred by customers in each area. So the selection may vary between locations.
Tips for Buying Cane Syrup at Piggly Wiggly
Here are some useful tips for finding and buying cane patch syrup at Piggly Wiggly:
- Check the syrup aisle first
- Look high and low on shelves
- Select fresh, unopened containers
- Inspect for leaks or damage
- Watch expiration dates
- Compare prices and sizes
- Buy larger sizes for savings
- Stock up during seasonal sales
- Refrigerate after opening
Look for Sales Around the Holidays
Cane syrup sees peak demand around Thanksgiving and Christmas when people are baking seasonal treats and making special breakfasts. Watch for discounts on cane syrup leading up to the winter holidays for the best deals.
How to Store and Use Cane Patch Syrup
Once you’ve purchased cane syrup from Piggly Wiggly, be sure to store and use it properly to get the most enjoyment:
- Refrigeration: Keep cane syrup refrigerated after opening to maximize freshness.
- Shelf life: Unopened cane syrup lasts 1-2 years stored in a cool, dark place.
- Use: Drizzle over biscuits, pancakes and waffles. Also great in recipes.
- Substitution: Replace other syrups 1:1 or use molasses measurements.
- Texture: Cane syrup is very thick. Heat jar in hot water to make pouring easier if needed.
With proper storage and use, you’ll be able to enjoy every drop of delicious cane patch syrup from Piggly Wiggly.
Popular Brands of Cane Syrup
Here are some of the most popular cane syrup brands sold across the South:
– Made in Louisiana since 1910
– Known for their signature yellow cans
– Sold at Piggly Wiggly and many other stores
White Oak Plantation
– Produced in Georgia
– Offers original and vanilla flavors
– Found at Piggly Wiggly in Georgia
– Alabama’s oldest syrup brand
– Use their Supreme Cane Syrup for baking
– Carried at Alabama Piggly Wiggly locations
– Sweet sorghum syrup from North Carolina
– Sold in Piggly Wiggly stores in the Carolinas
– Known for their nostalgic logo
Other Places to Buy Cane Syrup
Beyond Piggly Wiggly, here are some other places you can find cane syrup for sale:
- Food Giant
- Specialty markets
- Direct from farms/producers
- Farmers markets
Check your local grocery stores in the syrup aisle for cane syrup options. You can also buy directly from cane syrup makers and at stores specializing in Southern food.
Fun Facts About Cane Syrup
Here are some interesting facts about cane patch syrup’s history, production and uses:
- Made from sorghum or sugar cane plants.
- Production began in the 1800s.
- Louisiana produces about 75% of U.S. cane syrup.
- Labor intensive harvesting and production process.
- Flavor is similar to molasses.
- Very thick and viscous texture.
- Popular Southern breakfast topping.
- Used in candy, baked goods, glazes and drinks.
- Shelf stable 1-2 years when unopened.
- Steen’s is the top selling brand.
Cane Syrup Recipes
Here are some delicious ways to use the cane patch syrup from Piggly Wiggly:
Cane Syrup Breakfast Ideas
- Pancakes or waffles with cane syrup
- Biscuits and gravy with drizzled syrup
- Cane syrup glazed ham
- Sweet potato hash with cane syrup
- Syrup soaked French toast
- Cinnamon oatmeal topped with syrup
Cane Syrup Desserts
- Cane syrup pie
- Thumbprint cookies with syrup filling
- Pecan sticky buns
- Cane syrup pound cake
- Syrup drizzled on ice cream
- Glazed donuts with a syrup dip
Other Cane Syrup Uses
- Sweeten tea or coffee
- Brush on meat before grilling
- Barbeque sauces and marinades
- Added to baked beans
- Cocktail sweetener
- Drizzled over fruit
Cane syrup’s deep, rich flavor pairs perfectly in both sweet and savory recipes!
Finding Cane Syrup at Your Local Piggly Wiggly
Looking for that iconic cane syrup to sweeten up your next meal? Here are some tips to find it at your neighborhood Piggly Wiggly:
1. Head to the syrup aisle
This is the most likely spot to locate cane syrup. Look on the shelves near maple syrup and pancake syrup.
2. Scan top and bottom shelves
Cane syrup may be stocked on higher or lower shelves depending on the store layout. Check both high and low.
3. Look for familiar brands
Spotting brands like Steen’s, White Oak, or Alaga will let you know you found the cane syrup.
4. Ask for help finding it
The staff likely knows exactly where the cane syrup is shelved at that location.
5. Try other syrup spots
Sometimes syrups may be stocked together in the baking or Southern foods aisle.
6. Call ahead to verify
Give your Piggly Wiggly a quick call to ask if they carry cane syrup and where it’s located.
Using these tips will make tracking down sweet and savory cane patch syrup easy during your next Piggly Wiggly run. Happy hunting!
Enjoy the Rich Flavor of Cane Syrup from Piggly Wiggly
With its thick, molasses-like consistency and hints of caramelized brown sugar flavor, cane syrup is a delicious staple ingredient throughout the Southeastern states. Piggly Wiggly stores offer shoppers easy access to leading cane syrup brands like Steen’s and White Oak Plantation.
Drizzle this regional syrup over warm biscuits for breakfast, use it to sweeten your favorite baked goods, or try it in delicious dessert recipes. The next time you visit Piggly Wiggly, be sure to browse the syrup selection for cane syrup.
Bring home a bottle of this sweet Southern tradition to enjoy on special morning pancakes or waffles with your family. The rich taste and quality of cane patch syrup from Piggly Wiggly is sure to become a fast favorite!