Forget chicken and waffles, there’s a new chicken sandwich in town and it’s called the chicken donut sandwich!
If you’re looking for something different to try, be sure to check out this chicken donut sandwich, inspired by the one you could buy for a limited time from KFC. In this blog post, we’ll look at the original KFC sandwich and then how to recreate it yourself in your own kitchen.
About the Chicken Donut Sandwich
This delicious creation is quirky and creative. Similar to the Luther Burger, which is a donut bacon cheeseburger, this chicken sandwich is simply the crispy KFC chicken filet we all love and recognize, sandwiched between two glazed donuts.
It’s the ideal meal for those who want something that is both savory and sweet. And for those of you who love to try new things!
KFC tested this new menu item in select locations in Pennsylvania and Virginia and it seemed to be a hit! They took it nationwide for a limited time from February through part of March in 2020, so that everyone could have a chance to check it out.
Ingredients You Will Need
The sandwich had a fun run on the KFC menu. But what if you want to eat one now? The good news is that you can recreate the chicken donut sandwich in your very own home!
Let’s take a closer look at how.
Kitchen Tools Needed
- A whisk
- A casserole dish
- Plastic wrap
- A large bowl
- Deep fryer (or a large pot)
- A cooling rack
For the Sandwich:
- 4 chicken breasts (or chicken tenders), no bone, sliced thin
- 8 glazed donuts (Krispy Kremes or any regular store brand)
- Vegetable oil (for frying)
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 1/8 teaspoon of pepper
For the Breading
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 Tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/8 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 tablespoon salt
- 1/4 tablespoon paprika
Step by Step on How to Make a Chicken Donut Sandwich
- To start, thinly slice your chicken breast into filets that will cook quickly and will fit well in a sandwich. Then whisk your buttermilk, salt, and pepper together in a casserole dish for marinating. Place your chicken breast in the marinade, cover it all with plastic wrap, and marinate the chicken for 3 hours in the fridge.
- Then, set up a dredging station with the flour, cornstarch, garlic powder, dried oregano, white pepper, cayenne pepper, salt, and paprika in a bowl. Dip each chicken piece in the flour mixture. Be sure to shake off any excess before frying.
- Fry chicken in hot oil, either in a deep fryer or in a large pot of oil on the stove. Do so until each filet is golden brown and crispy. This should take about 10-15 minutes, flipping the filet every 2 minutes to keep it from burning. You want the internal temperature of the chicken breast to be at least 165 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Once it is cooked, place each crispy chicken filet on a cooling rack to cool for a few minutes so you can assemble your sandwich without burning yourself. Gather your donuts, then add chicken.
Expert Tips: You can even add other ingredients to spice up your chicken donut sandwich–it doesn’t have to be a simple chicken filet and donuts. You can also add ingredients like pickles, cheese, and your favorite sauce–we recommend the honey mustard or ranch. You can also set the donuts on the side and make your own donuts basket meal!
Enjoy! Maybe even invites over a few guests to try it out.
Frequently Asked Questions About the Chicken Donut Sandwich
Now that you know how to make your own chicken donut sandwich, let’s answer a few frequently asked questions.
When was the chicken donut sandwich introduced?
The chicken donut sandwich was introduced by KFC in 2020. They tested it in a couple of locations at first, and once they did well there, the company brought the sandwiches nationwide for a limited time.
Is the chicken donut sandwich still available?
The chicken donut sandwich was available for a limited time in 2020, from February to March of that year. The chicken donut sandwich is no longer on the KFC menu. That’s why we’ve come up with our own recipe here!
Can I make this sandwich ahead of time?
No, we do not recommend making the chicken donut sandwich ahead of time. The chicken filet will not be as crispy if you try to reheat it, and this is definitely a recipe where you want the chicken crispy!
Where can I find a KFC near me?
Visit KFC’s website to find the nearest KFC location to you. You can also order on their brand new KFC app, which you can sign up for on their website.
Is there a vegan chicken donut sandwich?
As of now, we do not know of any restaurants that offer a vegan chicken donut sandwiches. However, you could try making your own vegan chicken donut sandwich at home by breading and frying some tofu or seitan, and then pairing it with a vegan donut. See how it goes!
Is the chicken donut sandwich gluten-free?
No, this chicken donut sandwich is not gluten-free. However, you could try making your own gluten-free chicken donut sandwich by breading the chicken with a gluten-free flour mix, and then pairing it with a gluten-free donut.
Now You Know How to Make a Chicken Donut Sandwich from KFC
As you can see, making a chicken donut sandwich at home is easy to do! It’s a finger-lickin’ good dish and once you master the frying, it’s a perfect combo every single time.
So why not give it a try today? Let us know how it turns out by leaving us a comment below.