The majority of Crest toothpaste varieties are gluten-free. However, some Crest toothpastes contain gluten ingredients and are not suitable for people with celiac disease or gluten sensitivity. It’s important to check the ingredients list on any Crest toothpaste to determine if it contains gluten.
Ingredients to Look For
Here are some of the ingredients that indicate a Crest toothpaste contains gluten:
– Wheat starch
– Barley malt
– Oat fiber
So if you see any of those on the toothpaste ingredients list, that Crest variety is not gluten-free.
Review of Crest Product Lines
Here is an overview of which Crest toothpaste varieties are gluten-free versus not gluten-free:
Gluten-Free Crest Lines:
– Crest Cavity Protection
– Crest Gum Detoxify
– Crest Gum and Sensitivity
– Crest Kid’s
– Crest Neat Squeeze
– Crest Pro-Health
– Crest Tartar Protection
– Crest Whitening Expressions
– Crest Extra Whitening with Vanilla Mint Flavor – contains wheat starch
– Crest Sensitivity Treatment & Whitening – contains oat fiber
So in summary, most Crest toothpastes are gluten-free but some specialty varieties do contain gluten.
Checking Online for Gluten Information
In addition to checking the ingredients list on the toothpaste packaging, you can often find gluten information about Crest products on their website. They have an FAQ page that outlines which products are gluten-free.
You can also sometimes find gluten details on retailer websites where the Crest toothpaste is sold. Large stores like Walmart, Target, CVS, Walgreens etc may have gluten information in the product description or under product details.
Contacting Crest to Ask About Gluten
If you cannot find an ingredients list or gluten information about a specific Crest toothpaste, you can contact the company directly. They have a consumer phone number and email where you can inquire about gluten ingredients.
Make sure to have the exact name and variety of the toothpaste when you contact them. Their customer service should be able to look up the formulation and tell you definitively if that product contains gluten.
Look for Gluten-Free Labeling
Some Crest toothpaste varieties will be explicitly labeled as “gluten-free” on the packaging. This obviously makes it very easy to identify the gluten-free options.
However, not every gluten-free Crest toothpaste will have this labeling. So you still need to check the ingredients as your primary way to determine if it’s gluten-free. But the gluten-free call-out is helpful when it’s present.
Purchasing Gluten-Free Crest Online
One easy way to get gluten-free Crest toothpaste is to purchase it through online retailers that have specialized gluten-free sections.
For example, you can filter for only gluten-free oral care products on sites like Amazon, Vitacost, Gluten Free Drugstore, and GlutenFreeMall.com. That way you don’t have to worry about inspecting every ingredients list.
You can also set up subscriptions or recurring delivery for gluten-free Crest toothpaste, so new tubes arrive regularly at your doorstep without any extra effort.
Where to Find Crest Toothpaste
Here are some of the best places to find gluten-free options from the Crest brand:
- Grocery stores – Crest is stocked in the toothpaste aisle at most major supermarkets like Kroger, Publix, Safeway, etc.
- Drugstores – CVS, Walgreens, Rite Aid
- Big box stores – Target, Walmart
- Online – Amazon, Crest website, gluten-free specialty sites
- Dollar stores – Often have smaller Crest toothpaste sizes for a discount price.
The key is to always double check that what you’re buying is gluten-free by looking at the ingredients or product details. But Crest toothpaste is very widely available.
Crest Toothpaste Gluten-Free Options
Here is more detail on some of the most popular Crest toothpaste varieties that are gluten-free:
Crest Cavity Protection
Crest Cavity Protection toothpaste helps prevent cavities and strengthen enamel. It provides anticavity protection as a basic daily use toothpaste.
Key gluten-free varieties:
– Crest Cavity Protection Regular
– Crest Cavity Protection Baking Soda & Peroxide
– Crest Cavity Protection Whitening
– Crest Cavity Protection for Kids
Crest Gum Detoxify
Crest Gum Detoxify is formulated for gum health. It helps reverse early gum damage and reduce gum bleeding.
The key gluten-free options are Crest Gum Detoxify Vibrant Mint and Crest Gum Detoxify Radiant Mint.
Crest Pro-Health toothpaste helps protect teeth against cavities and acid erosion. It promotes long lasting fresh breath.
Gluten-free varieties include:
– Crest Pro-Health Advanced
– Crest Pro-Health Smooth Mint
– Crest Pro-Health For Life for Older Adults
Crest Whitening Expressions
Crest Whitening Expressions provides noticeably whiter teeth through gentle whitening. The gluten-free flavors are:
– Minty Cinnamon
– Vanilla Mint
– Fresh Citrus Breeze
Tips for Brushing with Crest
Here are some tips for getting the most out of your gluten-free Crest toothpaste:
– Use a peas sized amount on a soft bristle toothbrush and brush for 2 minutes twice per day.
– Focus brushing on the gumline and hard to reach back teeth.
– Let the toothpaste foam in your mouth for a minute before spitting to allow the ingredients to work.
– Rinse thoroughly after brushing and don’t eat or drink for 30 minutes.
– Store toothpaste at room temperature to maintain effectiveness.
– Replace toothbrush every 3-4 months for best results.
– Consider using a fluoride mouthwash like Crest Pro Health Advanced mouthwash for added benefit.
Crest Toothpaste Ingredients
Crest toothpaste is formulated from a range of ingredients that work together to provide oral health benefits. Here are some of the key ingredients found in Crest’s gluten-free toothpastes:
– Fluoride – Provides cavity protection by strengthening enamel.
– Silica – Gentle polishing agent that buffs away stains.
– Sodium lauryl sulfate – Creates foaming and cleansing action.
– Glycerin – Adds moisture to prevent dry mouth.
– Xanthan gum – Thickening agent and stabilizer.
– Sodium hydroxide – Helps maintain appropriate pH level.
– Flavoring – Gives minty or other flavor.
– Polyethylene glycol – Helps retain moisture.
– Titanium dioxide – Provides color and opacity.
These ingredients are gluten-free, though as noted earlier, some Crest varieties do contain problematic ingredients like wheat starch.
Common Crest Toothpaste Questions
Here are answers to some frequently asked questions about Crest toothpaste:
Is all Crest toothpaste gluten-free?
No, some varieties contain gluten, so it’s important to check ingredients. But most Crest toothpaste is gluten-free.
Does Crest toothpaste contain SLS?
Yes, Crest toothpaste contains sodium lauryl sulfate (SLS) which helps it foam and clean teeth. Some people prefer to avoid SLS.
Is Crest toothpaste safe to swallow?
Crest toothpaste is not intended to be swallowed and should be spit out after brushing. But if a small amount is accidentally ingested on occasion, it’s generally not harmful.
Does Crest toothpaste expire?
Yes, Crest toothpaste has an expiration date printed on the packaging, typically 2-3 years from manufacture date. For optimal results, try to use toothpaste before it expires.
Is Crest toothpaste American Dental Association approved?
Yes, the American Dental Association has awarded its ADA Seal of Acceptance to many Crest toothpaste products, confirming they meet the ADA’s safety and effectiveness standards.
Crest Toothpaste and Celiac Disease
For people with celiac disease, choosing gluten-free Crest toothpaste is important. Here are some tips for those who need to avoid gluten:
– Check all ingredients on Crest toothpaste, even if normally gluten-free. Formulations can change.
– Contact Procter & Gamble to ask about gluten-free status if unsure.
– Stick to major Crest lines like Cavity Protection that are reliably gluten-free.
– Buy Crest toothpaste labeled gluten-free if possible.
– Purchase from gluten-free online retailers if available.
– Avoid toothpastes with wheat starch, malt, and oat fiber.
– Be careful using Crest at dentist office or hotels. Bring your own or check first.
– If concerned, consider requesting Crest offer more labeled gluten-free varieties.
Being vigilant about gluten in toothpaste takes some extra effort but is doable with care and awareness.
Crest Toothpaste for Sensitive Teeth
Crest makes several toothpaste varieties specially formulated for people with sensitive teeth. Here are some of the top options:
Crest Gum Detoxify Toothpaste
This contains stannous fluoride for sensitivity relief and gum health.
Crest Pro-Health Advanced Sensitivity
Formulated with stannous fluoride and polyfluorite system to soothe sensitive teeth.
Crest Gum & Sensitivity
Features stannous fluoride and a gentle mint flavor. Helps relieve sensitivity discomfort.
Contains potassium nitrate to reduce sensitivity and enhance enamel strength.
Be sure to check ingredients on any Crest sensitivity toothpaste to ensure it’s gluten-free.
Crest Mouthwash Options
Crest also makes several varieties of gluten-free mouthwash to complement its toothpaste. Popular options include:
Crest Pro-Health Advanced Mouthwash
Provides long lasting fresh breath and helps kill germs that cause plaque and gingivitis. Gluten-free.
Crest 3D White Luxe Glamorous White Multi-Care Mouthwash
Whitens teeth, freshens breath, and kills germs. Part of the gluten-free 3D White Luxe line.
Crest Scope Outlast Mouthwash
Provides 12 hour fresh breath with dual chamber technology. Scope brand but made by Crest/P&G.
Be sure to rinse thoroughly after using mouthwash.
Choosing Kids Crest Toothpaste
When selecting Crest toothpaste for children, here are some tips:
– Pick kids flavors like bubble fruit or sparkle fun.
– Ensure it is safe if swallowed – many kids’ Crest pastes are.
– Make sure it’s gluten-free by checking ingredients.
– Look for fluoride for cavity protection.
– Approve usage for their age range.
– Buy travel size tubes if desired.
– Choose characters or designs they’ll enjoy.
– Let them pick out their toothbrush too.
– Make brushing fun by setting a timer or playing music.
Popular gluten-free kids toothpastes include Crest Kid’s Cavity Protection and Crest Kid’s Sparkle Fun.
While not all Crest toothpaste is gluten-free, the majority of their toothpastes don’t contain gluten and are safe for people with celiac disease and sensitivities. Always check the ingredients list to be sure or look for gluten-free labeling. Some of the most popular gluten-free Crest products include their lines for cavity protection, gum health, sensitivity, and whitening. With care in label reading, Crest can be a good gluten-free toothpaste brand.
|Crest Toothpaste Line
|Crest Cavity Protection
|Crest Gum Detoxify
|Crest Whitening Expressions
|Crest Extra Whitening with Vanilla Mint Flavor
|Crest Sensitivity Treatment & Whitening