The Powerball lottery is a popular multi-state lottery game in the United States that is coordinated by the Multi-State Lottery Association. Powerball tickets can be purchased in 45 states, Washington D.C., Puerto Rico, and the U.S. Virgin Islands. In California, Powerball tickets are sold at licensed lottery retailers across the state.
Where to Buy Powerball Tickets in California
Powerball tickets can be purchased at many grocery stores, gas stations, convenience stores, and other licensed lottery retailers in California. Some of the major retail chains that sell Powerball tickets in California include:
- ARCO AM/PM
- Circle K
- CVS Pharmacy
- Rite Aid
- Union 76
You can also purchase Powerball tickets at many independent liquor stores, markets, gas stations, and lottery retailers in California. The California Lottery website has a retailer locator tool that can help you find licensed Powerball retailers near you.
Finding Powerball Retailers Online
To use the California Lottery retailer locator, go to calottery.com and click on the “Find a Store” link. This will take you to the retailer locator page. Here you can enter your city, ZIP code or address to pull up a list and map of lottery retailers in your area.
When searching for retailers, you can filter the results to show only locations that sell Powerball tickets. The listings will indicate “Powerball Sold Here” for applicable retailers. You can select a retailer pin on the map or search listing to view details, including the address, hours and phone number.
Finding Powerball Retailers by Phone
You can also call the California Lottery customer service line at 1-800-LOTTERY to get assistance locating Powerball retailers near you. Let the customer service representative know you are looking for retailers that sell Powerball tickets in your city or ZIP code and they can provide options.
How to Buy Powerball Tickets in California
Once you locate a retailer that sells Powerball tickets, buying them is easy. Here are some tips for purchasing Powerball tickets in California:
- Decide if you want to buy tickets for the next upcoming drawing or advance play for future drawings.
- Tell the cashier or clerk you would like to purchase Powerball tickets and specify how many.
- Specify if you want to choose your own numbers or do a Quick Pick for randomly assigned numbers.
- If choosing your own numbers, tell the clerk your selected five main numbers (between 1-69) and your Powerball number (between 1-26).
- Pay for your ticket(s) – Powerball tickets cost $2 per play in California.
- Check your ticket to ensure it has the correct date, numbers, and barcode.
- Keep your ticket safe until the drawing – you’ll need it to claim any prizes.
It’s important to sign the back of your Powerball ticket for security purposes once you purchase it. You want to be sure you can verify the winning ticket is yours if you win a prize.
Powerball Ticket Sales Cut-Off Times
Powerball drawings are held every Monday, Wednesday and Saturday at 7:59 p.m. PT. Ticket sales will cut off on draw days at 7:00 p.m. PT. On the day of the drawing, Powerball tickets can only be purchased until 7:00 p.m. for that evening’s drawing.
Many retailers stop selling tickets earlier, around 6:45 p.m., to allow time for the ticket data to process before the sales cutoff. Keep the 7:00 p.m. deadline in mind when purchasing Powerball tickets on draw days.
Claiming Powerball Prizes in California
If you are lucky enough to win a Powerball prize in California, here is how you claim your winnings:
For smaller Powerball prizes under $600, you can cash in your winning ticket at any licensed lottery retailer in California. Retailers can pay prizes up to $599. Once you present a winning ticket, the clerk will verify it and pay you the amount you’ve won.
For Powerball prizes of $600 or more, you will need to claim your prize at a California Lottery district office. There are nine lottery district offices located throughout the state. To start your prize claim, present your winning ticket at the district office or mail it to lottery headquarters. You will need to complete a claim form and provide identification.
If you win the Powerball jackpot, congratulations! To initiate your claim, sign the back of the ticket and store it in a safe place until you collect your prize. Call or go to your nearest California Lottery district office to begin the claims process. You will need to complete paperwork, including an IRS Form 5754 for tax purposes.
The Largest Powerball Wins in California
Since Powerball expanded to California in 2013, there have been some notable jackpot wins in the state:
|Niu Sale Shares Trust||August 7, 2021||$699.8 million||Albertsons, Morro Bay|
|Anonymous||December 17, 2019||$699.8 million||Joe’s Service Center, Altadena|
|Anonymous||June 10, 2019||$530 million||Sorrento Deli Mart, San Diego|
|Anonymous||July 23, 2018||$543 million||Ernie’s Liquor, San Jose|
California has a reputation for having some lucky Powerball winners thanks to its large population and high ticket sales. Convenience stores, gas stations and supermarkets throughout the Golden State have sold life-changing jackpot tickets over the years.
Powerball in California: Key Facts
Here are some key facts about playing Powerball in California:
- Join Date: April 8, 2013
- Tickets Cost: $2 per play
- Drawings Held: Every Monday, Wednesday and Saturday at 7:59 p.m. PT
- How to Win Jackpot: Match 5 main numbers (1-69) + Powerball number (1-26)
- Taxes: Federal tax withholding applies to prizes over $5,000. State tax withholding also applies.
- Prize Payment: You have up to one year from the draw date to claim Powerball prizes in California.
- Unclaimed Prizes: Expired, unclaimed prizes are used to fund public education in California.
Odds of Winning Powerball
The odds of winning a Powerball prize are:
- Jackpot: 1 in 292,201,338
- Match 5: 1 in 11,688,053.52
- Match 4: 1 in 913,129.18
- Match 3: 1 in 36,525.17
- Match 2: 1 in 14,494.11
The overall odds of winning any prize are 1 in 24.87. While the jackpot odds are steep, it’s still possible for California players to win big Powerball prizes.
Increase Your Odds with Multiple Tickets
Your odds of winning the Powerball jackpot increase with each ticket purchased. Buying multiple tickets can substantially increase your chances compared to only playing one or two tickets.
Of course, playing responsibly is important and only gamble what you can afford. Speak to resources like the California Council on Problem Gambling if playing the lottery stops being fun.
Joining an Office Pool
Joining an office lottery pool is a popular way to increase your odds without breaking the bank. Get a group of co-workers together to all chip in for more tickets. This can give your group a better shot at winning compared to any single person playing alone.
Just be sure to create a written agreement upfront outlining how you will split any potential prizes. Keep records of who has paid and how much so there is no confusion later on.
Tips for Choosing Powerball Numbers
When playing Powerball, you can either select your own numbers or do Quick Pick for randomly generated numbers. For choosing your own, here are some Powerball number tips:
- Mix High and Low Numbers: Include a mix of high and low numbers in your selection. Low numbers (1-31) and high numbers (58-69) occur with similar frequency in Powerball draws.
- Balance Odd and Even: Try to include a relatively even mix of odd and even numbers in your picks.
- Avoid Repeats: Don’t select all repeating numbers (like 11, 22, 33, etc.) or consecutive strings (like 45, 46, 47).
- Use Meaningful Numbers: Consider using birthdates, anniversaries, ages, or other meaningful numbers across your main numbers and Powerball.
There is no one “right” way to pick Powerball numbers. Going with your own thoughtful selections or randomized Quick Picks both have an equal statistical chance of winning.
Find the Latest Powerball Results
Want to find the latest Powerball results and winning numbers? Here are ways to check:
- California Lottery website: View the most recent results at calottery.com after drawings.
- Mobile App: Download the California Lottery app to get winning numbers.
- Account Services: Sign up for a California Lottery account to receive email or text alerts with Powerball results.
- Customer Service: Call 1-800-LOTTERY (1-800-568-8379) to speak to a representative.
- Retailers: Ask for the latest results at California lottery retailers.
- Local Media: Powerball drawing results are frequently broadcast on local radio, TV news, and newspapers.
Be sure to check your Powerball tickets immediately after a drawing using multiple trusted sources. Congrats if you’re holding a new million dollar winner!
In California, Powerball tickets can be purchased at thousands of grocery stores, gas stations, convenience stores and other licensed lottery retailers statewide. Major chains like 7-Eleven, Albertsons, Chevron, Costco, CVS, Safeway, Walgreens and Walmart all sell Powerball tickets in-store. Finding a retailer is easy using the California Lottery website’s store locator tool.
To play, simply visit a retailer selling Powerball, choose your numbers or get Quick Pick, and pay $2 per ticket. Drawings take place every Monday, Wednesday and Saturday at 7:59 p.m. PT. Be sure to buy tickets before the 7 p.m. sales cutoff on draw days.
If you’re fortunate to match the winning numbers and hit the Powerball jackpot, be sure to sign your ticket and make claims at one of the California Lottery district offices. Powerball has created several millionaires in the state over the years. With over 20,000 retailers selling tickets, California offers excellent access to play this exciting national lottery game.