Funfetti cake mix is a popular rainbow sprinkles cake mix that many people enjoy baking and eating. However, some people wonder if Funfetti cake mix contains dairy ingredients or is dairy-free. This is an important question for people with milk allergies, lactose intolerance, or those following a vegan diet.
The Short Answer
The short answer is that standard Funfetti cake mix is not dairy-free. Most Funfetti cake mixes contain milk or whey powder, which are dairy ingredients. However, there are some dairy-free Funfetti cake mix options available.
Examining the Ingredients in Funfetti Cake Mix
To determine if a particular Funfetti cake mix is dairy-free, you need to read the ingredient list carefully. Here are some things to look for:
- Milk – Any type of milk, including dry milk powder, is a dairy ingredient.
- Whey – Whey is a protein derived from milk when making cheese. It is a dairy component.
- Butter or butterfat – These ingredients come from milk/dairy.
- Casein – A protein found in milk. Another sign the mix contains dairy.
- Lactose – The natural sugar found in milk products.
If the cake mix has any of these dairy-derived ingredients, then it is not vegan or dairy-free. You need to look for a Funfetti cake mix that does not contain milk, whey, butter, casein or lactose.
Common Dairy Ingredients in Popular Brands of Funfetti Cake Mix
Here are some of the major dairy ingredients found in popular supermarket brands of Funfetti cake mix:
|Pillsbury Funfetti||Whey, milk|
|Betty Crocker Funfetti||Whey powder|
|Duncan Hines Funfetti||Whey, milk|
|Signature Select Funfetti (Safeway brand)||Whey powder, butter|
As you can see, the main dairy ingredients in regular Funfetti cake mixes are whey powder and milk. This means most conventional Funfetti cake mixes are not dairy-free or vegan.
Checking Labels for “Dairy-Free” or “Vegan”
To find a dairy-free Funfetti cake mix, check the packaging carefully for labels that indicate it is “dairy-free” or “vegan.” Many brands now offer alternative recipes that omit milk and whey powder.
For example, Betty Crocker has a gluten-free Funfetti cake mix that is labeled “dairy-free.” Pillsbury, Duncan Hines and other brands also offer dairy-free Funfetti cake mixes. These are made without milk, whey or butter. Always read the full ingredient list to be sure.
Watch out for Potential Allergens
Note that dairy-free Funfetti cake mix may still contain other potential allergens like eggs, soy or tree nuts. So if you have food allergies, check the ingredients carefully.
Making Funfetti Cake Mix Dairy-Free
If you cannot find a dairy-free Funfetti cake mix, there are a couple options for making a standard mix dairy-free:
- Substitute oil for butter – Most Funfetti cake mixes call for butter or margarine. You can substitute vegetable oil, melted coconut oil or other dairy-free oils instead of butter.
- Use non-dairy milk – Substitute almond milk, coconut milk, oat milk or soy milk for the cow’s milk called for in the recipe.
- Add vinegar to “sour” the milk – Adding a teaspoon of vinegar to soy/nut milk helps the milk act more like buttermilk in recipes.
- Use egg replacer – For vegan cakes, replace each egg with 1/4 cup applesauce or a commercial egg replacer product.
With these simple dairy-free swaps, you can modify regular Funfetti cake mix and make it vegan. Be sure to also use dairy-free frosting on your Funfetti cake creation.
Top Brands of Dairy-Free Funfetti Cake Mix
Here are some of the leading brands producing dairy-free Funfetti cake mixes:
- Betty Crocker Gluten Free Funfetti Cake Mix – This popular option has no gluten or dairy ingredients.
- Duncan Hines Dairy-Free Funfetti Cake Mix – Duncan Hines makes a vegan Funfetti cake mix free of milk and whey.
- Pillsbury Dairy-Free Funfetti Cake Mix – Pillsbury also offers a dairy-free Funfetti cake mix.
- Enjoy Life Foods Sweet Sprinkles Cake Mix – This allergy-friendly brand makes a vegan Funfetti-style cake mix.
- Charm School Bakeshop Sprinklecake Mix – This smaller brand has a dairy-free “sprinklecake” very similar to Funfetti.
Check your local grocery store or order online to find these dairy-free Funfetti-style cake mixes. Make sure to always read the ingredients instead of just relying on front labels. The allergen information should clearly state it is dairy-free or vegan if it does not contain milk-derived ingredients.
Making Dairy-Free Funfetti Frosting
To make sure your Funfetti cake creation is completely dairy-free, you also need dairy-free frosting or icing. Here are some options:
- Vegan buttercream – Use vegan butter like Earth Balance spread and powdered sugar for classic buttercream.
- Coconut whipped cream – Chill a can of full-fat coconut milk, then whip the solids into dairy-free whipped cream.
- Vegan cream cheese frosting – Use soy or cashew cream cheese alternatives to make a tangy frosting.
- Powdered sugar glaze – Simply mix powdered sugar and non-dairy milk like almond milk to make a thin glaze consistency.
Decorate your dairy-free Funfetti cake with rainbow sprinkles on top of your favorite vegan frosting. Have fun with the colors and textures!
Funfetti Cake Mix Ingredients to Avoid
When shopping for a dairy-free Funfetti cake mix, watch out for these ingredients that may indicate it contains milk-derived ingredients:
- Milk solids
- Whey powder
- Caseinates (sodium caseinate, calcium caseinate, etc)
If you see any of these on the label, then the Funfetti cake mix is not vegan or dairy-free. Stick to brands that are labeled “dairy-free” or “vegan” and avoid these ingredients.
Benefits of Dairy-Free Funfetti Cake Mix
Here are some of the benefits of choosing a dairy-free Funfetti cake mix option vs. a standard mix with milk ingredients:
- Prevents allergic reactions in people with dairy/milk allergies
- Better tolerated by those with lactose intolerance
- Suitable for vegan or plant-based diets
- Eliminates dietary cholesterol found in dairy products
- May have fewer artificial growth hormones used in dairy cows
- Promotes cruelty-free baking without using animal products
So if you or your loved ones avoid dairy for health or ethical reasons, look for a dairy-free Funfetti cake mix. Thankfully there are now more options available that don’t require sacrificing those colorful sprinkles!
Dairy-Free Funfetti Cake Mix Recipe
Here is a recipe for making dairy-free Funfetti cake completely from scratch:
- 2 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups white sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup non-dairy milk (almond, soy, etc)
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄4 cup rainbow sprinkles
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease two 8-inch cake pans.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt.
- In a smaller bowl, mix the oil, non-dairy milk, vinegar and vanilla.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix until just combined. Do not overmix.
- Fold in the rainbow sprinkles gently.
- Divide the batter between the prepared pans.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Allow cakes to cool completely before frosting.
- Frost cooled cakes with your favorite dairy-free frosting.
This simple recipe gives you a delicious dairy-free Funfetti cake made from scratch! Adjust the non-dairy milk and frosting to suit your dietary needs.
Troubleshooting Dairy-Free Funfetti Cake
Here are some common issues and how to fix them when baking dairy-free Funfetti cakes:
Cake is too dense
- Try replacing some of the all-purpose flour with cake flour to make it more tender.
- Or add an extra egg replacer to add moisture.
- Make sure not to overmix the batter – gently combine wet and dry.
Cake is too crumbly
- If it is falling apart, the cake likely needs more binding. Add an extra egg replacer.
- You can also try adding a flax egg (1 tbsp ground flax + 3 tbsp water). Let it sit for 5 minutes before using.
Cake sinks in the middle
- Use cake strips around the pan to insulate it while baking.
- Or reduce oven temperature 25°F to prevent over-baking.
- Be sure not to overmix the batter.
Cake is too dry
- Replace some all-purpose flour with oil to increase moistness.
- Or use a dairy-free yogurt instead of milk to add moisture.
- Check for doneness at minimum recommended time.
- Brush simple syrup (1:1 sugar:water) on cake layers to add moisture.
With a few simple adjustments, you can troubleshoot any issues with denseness, dryness or textural problems in your homemade Funfetti cakes.
Fun Ideas for Decorating Dairy-Free Funfetti Cakes
Funfetti cake is all about the fun, so get creative with your decor!
- Use rainbow or themed sprinkles like hearts, stars or confetti sprinkles.
- Top with fruit like berries or citrus slices.
- Add crushed cookies or candy like crushed Oreos or chocolate chips between layers.
- Frost with fluffy coconut whipped cream.
- Drizzle with chocolate or caramel dairy-free sauces.
- Add food coloring to dairy-free frosting to make different colors.
- Top with dairy-free ice cream for an ice cream cake.
- Use graham crackers instead of cake for a funfetti crust cheesecake.
- Shape into cupcakes and use fun paper liners.
Let your imagination run wild with fun decorations and themes for your dairy-free Funfetti cakes. The possibilities are endless!
Storing and Freezing Dairy-Free Funfetti Cake
Properly storing your Funfetti cake will keep it fresh and moist for longer:
- Room temperature: Store unfrosted cakes loosely covered at room temp up to 4 days.
- Refrigerator: Frosted cakes can be stored in fridge up to 5 days.
- Freezer: Wrap layers tightly in plastic then foil. Freeze up to 2-3 months.
Let frozen cakes thaw overnight in the refrigerator before decorating and serving. Add a crumb coat once thawed and re-frost right before serving.
Freezing Funfetti Cake Batter
You can also freeze unbaked Funfetti cake batter to save for later:
- Divide batter between freezer bags and lay flat in one layer.
- Remove as much air as possible and seal bags.
- Label with flavor and date.
- Freeze up to 2-3 months.
- Thaw overnight in fridge before baking.
Freezing the batter makes whipping up fresh Funfetti cakes easy anytime! Just bake and decorate.
Funfetti cake mixes can easily be made dairy-free by checking labels for vegan/dairy-free options or substituting a few ingredients. Look for egg and milk replacements to create an allergy-friendly treat that still has all the bright, fun sprinkles. With the right techniques and recipes, you can have moist dairy-free Funfetti cakes perfect for any celebration or occasion!