Kirkland popcorn from Costco is a popular snack item that comes in different sized bags. Many people wonder just how many servings come in each bag. In this comprehensive guide, we’ll take a detailed look at Kirkland popcorn servings.
The Different Sizes of Kirkland Popcorn Bags
Kirkland popcorn comes in three main sizes:
- Individual bags (1.2 oz)
- Medium bags (28 oz)
- Large bags (44 oz)
The individual bags are perfect for grabbing and going or packing in lunches. The medium and large bags are better for sharing at home or bringing to parties and events.
Nutrition Facts for Kirkland Popcorn
To determine servings, we need to look at the nutrition facts label on Kirkland popcorn bags. Here are the key nutrition facts per serving:
- Calories: 120
- Total fat: 4.5g
- Saturated fat: 0.5g
- Trans fat: 0g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
- Sodium: 290mg
- Total carbs: 23g
- Dietary fiber: 3g
- Sugars: 0g
- Protein: 3g
As you can see, Kirkland popcorn is relatively low in calories, fat, and sugar compared to other snack foods. It provides a good source of fiber. The sodium content is moderate.
Servings Per Individual Kirkland Popcorn Bag
The nutrition label lists the serving size for individual Kirkland popcorn bags as 1.2 oz (34g). Since each bag contains 1.2 oz of popcorn, there is one 1.2 oz serving per individual bag.
Servings Per Medium Kirkland Popcorn Bag
Medium Kirkland popcorn bags contain 28 oz (794g) of popcorn.
To determine servings:
- Total weight: 28 oz
- Serving size: 1.2 oz
- 28 oz / 1.2 oz per serving = 23 servings
So each medium 28 oz Kirkland popcorn bag contains about 23 servings.
Servings Per Large Kirkland Popcorn Bag
Large Kirkland popcorn bags contain 44 oz (1.25kg) of popcorn.
To determine servings:
- Total weight: 44 oz
- Serving size: 1.2 oz
- 44 oz / 1.2 oz per serving = 37 servings
So each large 44 oz Kirkland popcorn bag contains about 37 servings.
Visual Representation of Kirkland Popcorn Servings
Here is a table to provide a quick visual summary of the servings per different sized Kirkland popcorn bag:
|Bag Size||Total Weight||Servings Per Bag|
Tips for Enjoying Kirkland Popcorn
Here are some tips for enjoying Kirkland popcorn:
- Use individual bags for portion control when snacking.
- Pour medium or large bags into bowls rather than eating directly from the bag.
- Count out a single serving to avoid overeating.
- Drizzle with a small amount of olive oil or melt a little butter for extra flavor.
- Sprinkle lightly with sea salt.
- Add herbs like dried oregano, basil, or rosemary.
- Flavor with a dusting of parmesan cheese or nutritional yeast.
- Sweeten very lightly with a pinch of cinnamon or brown sugar.
- Avoid heavy-handed use of sugar, chocolate or greasy toppings.
Storing Your Kirkland Popcorn
For best quality and freshness, store Kirkland popcorn in an airtight container in a cool, dry spot. Avoid storage in direct sunlight or heat, or near strongly smelling foods that can impart odors.
Once opened, try to use up medium and large bags within a week or two. Individual bags can be stored for longer since you open each one fresh.
For longer storage of a partly used medium or large bag, transfer the popcorn to an airtight container or resealable freezer bag. Press out excess air and ensure the top is well sealed.
Common Kirkland Popcorn Questions
Is Kirkland popcorn healthy?
Yes, Kirkland popcorn can be a healthy snack in moderation. It is low in calories, high in fiber, and free of artificial flavors, colors or preservatives. It’s a smart choice over fried chips or other snack foods. Enjoy it plain or with minimal seasonings.
Is Kirkland popcorn non-GMO?
Kirkland popcorn is certified non-GMO, meaning it is not genetically modified. This makes it a good choice for anyone looking to avoid GMOs.
Is Kirkland popcorn vegan?
Plain Kirkland popcorn is vegan friendly. It does not contain any animal products or byproducts. The vegetable oil used is also plant-based.
Is Kirkland popcorn gluten-free?
Yes, plain Kirkland popcorn is certified gluten-free. This makes it safe for those with celiac disease or gluten sensitivity.
Is Kirkland popcorn kosher?
Yes, Kirkland popcorn is OU Kosher certified.
Can you microwave Kirkland popcorn bags?
Kirkland popcorn can be microwaved for convenience. Follow microwaving instructions on each bag for proper timing. But note that microwave popping may lead to slightly less fluffy kernels than stove-top popping.
Can you air pop Kirkland popcorn?
You can use Kirkland popcorn for air popping. Measure out the equivalent of a single serving from a bag and add to your air popper. This produces a lower calorie popcorn without oil. Season lightly after air popping.
Cooking Methods for Kirkland Popcorn
You can prepare Kirkland popcorn in different ways:
This traditional method produces light, fluffy popcorn. Use a heavy bottomed pot with a tight fitting lid. Add a bit of vegetable oil to coat the bottom of the pot before adding the kernels.
Use individual bags or portion out servings from larger bags into microwave-safe bowls. Follow package instructions for microwave times and listen for popping to slow before removing.
An air popper produces popcorn by hot air circulation alone, no oil needed. Portion kernels into the popper chamber and use according to appliance directions.
Spread popcorn kernels out on a baking sheet in a single layer. Bake at 400°F, shaking the pan periodically, until all kernels have popped.
Nutritional Benefits of Popcorn
Popcorn can provide some good nutrition when prepared properly. Here are some of its benefits:
- Fiber – Popcorn provides fiber for digestive and heart health. The fiber also helps you feel full.
- Polyphenols – The hulls contain polyphenols that act as antioxidants in the body.
- Protein – Popcorn contains a small amount of plant-based protein.
- Vitamins and minerals – Popcorn provides vitamins like thiamin, folate, and B6. Minerals include magnesium, manganese, and phosphorus.
- Whole grain – Popcorn is a 100% whole grain, which research links to disease prevention and weight management.
Potential Downsides of Popcorn
Despite the benefits, there are some potential downsides to popcorn to keep in mind:
- Easy to overeat since it’s so light.
- High volume makes it hard to judge portion sizes.
- Often loaded up with excess butter, oil, sugar and other unhealthy toppings.
- Can irritate digestive issues when overeaten due to high fiber content.
- Susceptible to contamination with unhealthful cooking oils and PFOAs from chemical-lined bags.
- Can harbor harmful substances when burnt.
The key is enjoying popcorn in moderation as part of an overall healthy diet, while avoiding heavily processed varieties and unhealthy toppings.
Kirkland popcorn comes in individual bags with 1 serving, medium bags with 23 servings, and large bags with 37 servings. Enjoy Kirkland popcorn in sensible portions by measuring out single servings or pouring from larger bags into snack bowls. Pair it with healthy seasonings and avoid excessive oils, sugar and other calorie-laden toppings. Prepared properly, Kirkland popcorn can be a nutritious and satisfying snack.