The number of miles a Chevy Malibu can drive on a full tank of gas depends on the model year and engine. Here are some quick answers:
- 2022 Chevy Malibu with 1.5L turbo engine: Up to around 400 miles per tank
- 2021 Chevy Malibu with 2.0L engine: Up to around 360 miles per tank
- 2020 Chevy Malibu with 1.5L turbo engine: Up to around 400 miles per tank
- 2019 Chevy Malibu with 1.5L turbo engine: Up to around 400 miles per tank
What factors affect Chevy Malibu gas mileage?
The main factors that impact the gas mileage and range of a Chevy Malibu on a full tank are:
- Engine size – Smaller, more efficient turbocharged engines like the 1.5L get better mileage than larger engines like the 2.0L.
- Fuel tank size – Newer Malibu models have a 15.8 gallon gas tank. Older models had smaller 14-15 gallon tanks.
- Driving conditions – City driving with frequent stops will consume more gas than highway driving.
- Maintenance – Proper maintenance like routine oil changes, air filter changes, etc. helps optimize mileage.
- Vehicle weight – Added cargo and passengers add weight and reduce mileage.
- Personal driving habits – Aggressive acceleration and braking reduces MPG.
Gas tank size of Chevy Malibu models
Here is a breakdown of the fuel tank sizes for recent Chevy Malibu model years:
|Model Year||Fuel Tank Size|
As you can see, the fuel tank size has gradually increased over the past decade, allowing newer Malibu models to achieve greater range per tank.
EPA estimated MPG for Chevy Malibu models
The EPA provides estimated MPG ratings for city and highway driving for each model year. Here are the numbers for recent Malibu models with the most popular engine options:
|Model Year||Engine||City MPG||Highway MPG|
As shown, the 1.5L turbo engine offers the best fuel efficiency, especially for highway driving. The larger 2.0L turbo trades off some MPG for more power.
Real-world Chevy Malibu gas mileage
The EPA ratings approximate fuel efficiency for new vehicles in ideal conditions. However, real-world driving can vary based on driving styles, terrain, vehicle maintenance, and other factors. Many drivers report achieving slightly lower MPG than the estimates:
- City MPG – Expect around 25-27 MPG in real-world city driving.
- Highway MPG – Expect around 33-35 MPG on the highway.
So in real-world conditions, you can expect approximately 350-400 miles per tank from a Chevy Malibu, depending on driving style and conditions.
Tips to maximize Chevy Malibu gas mileage
Here are some tips to help maximize your fuel efficiency in a Chevy Malibu:
- Accelerate and brake smoothly – Avoid aggressive driving.
- Maintain steady speeds and use cruise control when possible.
- Avoid excessive idling.
- Reduce cargo weight and remove roof racks when not in use.
- Check tire pressures monthly and keep them properly inflated.
- Use the recommended octane grade fuel.
- Change air filters and spark plugs at recommended intervals.
- Use synthetic oils and quality fuels.
- Limit the use of AC and heat when possible.
Adopting economical driving habits and proper maintenance procedures can help optimize mileage and maximize the miles you can drive on a tank of gas.
In summary, the typical range for a Chevy Malibu with a full 15.8 gallon gas tank is approximately 350-400 miles in real-world driving conditions. The exact number can vary based on engine, driving style, terrain, and vehicle maintenance. Opting for the 1.5L turbo engine and practicing fuel-efficient driving habits will provide the best mileage and range per tank. Proper maintenance and operation is key to getting the most out of every gallon of gas.