Tous les jours milk bread is a popular Japanese milk bread made with a unique milk tang zhong starter. This gives the bread an incredibly soft, fluffy texture reminiscent of Hokkaido milk bread. Many people enjoy eating tous les jours milk bread for its light, airy crumb and subtle sweetness. However, some may wonder just how many calories are in a slice of this tasty bread. Quick answer: A single slice of tous les jours milk bread contains around 120 calories. The number of calories can vary slightly depending on the exact ingredients and baking method used. In this article, we’ll take a deeper look at the calorie count and nutritional profile of tous les jours milk bread.
What is Tous Les Jours Milk Bread?
Tous les jours translates from French to “every day,” reflecting this bread’s versatility as an everyday meal accompaniment. This popular Asian bakery bread features a signature tang zhong starter that gives it a soft, pillowy texture. The tang zhong is made by cooking a mixture of flour, milk, and water to form a thick, roux-like paste. This gelatinizes the starch in the flour, allowing the bread to retain more moisture and rise higher.
In addition to the tang zhong starter, tous les jours milk bread contains:
– Bread flour: Provides structure and chew.
– Milk: Enhances flavor and moisture.
– Sugar: Feeds the yeast and provides subtle sweetness.
– Butter or oil: Adds richness.
– Eggs: Help bind the dough and contribute to the tender crumb.
– Yeast: Leavens the bread.
The dough is enriched with milk, eggs, sugar, and fat. It is given time to ferment and develop flavor. The resulting bread has a fluffy, cotton-soft crumb with a lightly sweet taste. The crust is thin and tender. Sliced tous les jours milk bread is perfect for making sandwiches, French toast, bread pudding, and more.
Nutritional Profile of Tous Les Jours Milk Bread
The primary nutrients found in tous les jours milk bread include:
Let’s look at the amounts of each nutrient typical per slice:
A slice of tous les jours milk bread provides around 15-20 grams of carbohydrates. Since this bread is enriched with milk and sugar, it contains slightly higher amounts of carbs compared to plain white bread. The carbohydrates come mainly from the wheat flour.
Each slice of tous les jours milk bread contains approximately 5 grams of protein. The protein comes primarily from the wheat flour. The eggs and milk used in the bread also contribute small amounts.
There are roughly 3-5 grams of fat in a single piece of tous les jours bread. Sources of fat include the butter or oil used to enrich the dough. Whole eggs also provide some fat.
A slice of tous les jours milk bread contains 1-2 grams of fiber. The fiber comes from the wheat flour. Fiber is important for digestive health.
Since this bread is slightly sweetened, it provides around 2-4 grams of sugars per slice. These natural sugars come from the added sugar and lactose in the milk.
Tous les jours milk bread is relatively low in sodium, with around 100-150 milligrams per slice. A small amount of salt is added to the bread dough to control yeast activity.
So in summary, a slice of tous les jours milk bread is high in carbohydrates and contains moderate amounts of protein, fat, and sugars. It is low in fiber and sodium compared to other bread varieties.
Calories in Tous Les Jours Milk Bread
Now let’s discuss the main question – how many calories are in a slice of tous les jours milk bread?
The total calorie count can vary based on the exact recipe and ingredients used. However, on average, one slice of tous les jours milk bread contains around 120 calories.
This calorie count is for a slice weighing around 30-40 grams. Denser breads with more egg and fat tend to be higher in calories, while lighter versions may be slightly lower.
Here is a breakdown of where those 120 calories come from:
Calories from carbohydrates: 15-20g carbs x 4 cal/g = 60-80 calories
Calories from protein: 5g protein x 4 cal/g = 20 calories
Calories from fat: 3-5g fat x 9 cal/g = 27-45 calories
As you can see, the carbohydrates from the enriched bread dough contribute the majority of calories. Protein and fat make up smaller portions of the total calorie count.
The number of calories can scale up or down depending on the size of the slice or number of slices consumed. Here are some examples:
– 2 slices tous les jours milk bread = 240 calories
– 3 slices tous les jours milk bread = 360 calories
In general, three to four slices of tous les jours milk bread would count as one snack or part of a light meal, providing 120-160 calories per slice.
Comparing Calories to Other Breads
How does the calorie content of tous les jours milk bread compare to other breads?
Here is a calorie comparison of one slice of different bread types:
|Bread Type||Calories per slice|
|Whole wheat bread||90|
|Tous les jours milk bread||120|
As you can see, tous les jours milk bread contains more calories than basic white or whole wheat breads. However, it has a similar number of calories compared to other enriched breads like brioche and challah.
The extra milk, eggs, sugar, and butter make tous les jours milk bread higher in calories than plain breads. But the calorie count is reasonable for an enriched bakery-style loaf.
Tips for Enjoying Tous Les Jours Bread on a Diet
Here are some tips for enjoying tous les jours milk bread if you are monitoring your calorie intake:
– Opt for smaller slices. A 30 gram slice will be lower in calories than a 50 gram slice.
– Use tous les jours bread for open-faced sandwiches rather than larger sandwiches. Load up on veggie toppings over one slice of bread.
– Split a slice in half and enjoy it as mini open-faced sandwiches or crostini.
– Instead of butter, flavor your bread with herbs, onion, garlic, or other low-calorie toppings.
– Bake the bread into croutons or breadcrumbs rather than eating large slices. Enjoy a tablespoon of croutons on salads.
– Turn leftover bread into French toast with just an egg and a spritz of oil rather than soaking in cream and syrup.
– Use tous les jours bread for making lower-calorie fillings like egg salad instead of heavy dishes like grilled cheese.
With smart portioning and topping choices, tous les jours milk bread can fit into a healthy diet. The fluffy texture and sweetness make it satisfying even in smaller amounts.
Health Benefits of Tous Les Jours Milk Bread
While enriched bread is higher in calories, tous les jours milk bread provides some valuable nutrition:
– Carbohydrates – The carbohydrates fuel your body and brain with energy. They may enhance workout performance.
– Protein – Protein from the wheat and eggs helps maintain and repair muscles. It keeps you feeling fuller for longer.
– Calcium – The milk provides a source of calcium for strong bones and teeth.
– B Vitamins – Essential B vitamins like riboflavin, niacin, and folate support energy metabolism and red blood cell production.
So while the calorie count needs consideration, tous les jours milk bread offers important nutrients. When enjoyed in moderation, it can be part of a balanced diet.
Nutrition Tips for Buying Tous Les Jours Bread
Follow these tips when selecting and storing tous les jours milk bread:
– Check the ingredients. Opt for versions made with whole milk, whole eggs, and real butter. These provide more nutrients than low-fat substitutes.
– Avoid any breads with high-fructose corn syrup or hydrogenated oils in the ingredients list.
– For freshness, buy bread baked on site if possible. Otherwise, check for the latest sell-by date.
– Avoid breads with added preservatives, artificial flavors, colors, etc.
– Store unused bread at room temperature up to 3 days, in the fridge up to 5 days, or freezer up to 1 month.
Choosing high-quality ingredients ensures your tous les jours bread provides the best nutrition and flavor. Proper storage prevents it from going stale too quickly.
Healthy Recipe Ideas Using Tous Les Jours Bread
Here are some healthy and delicious ways to enjoy tous les jours milk bread:
– Avocado toast – Top with smashed avocado, Everything Bagel seasoning, egg, and hot sauce.
– Lox and cream cheese toast – Load up with smoked salmon, whipped cream cheese, tomato, and red onion.
– Nut butter banana toast – Top your bread with almond butter, sliced banana, and cinnamon.
– French toast – Dip bread in egg and vanilla, then pan-fry until crispy. Top with fresh fruit.
Sandwiches and Wraps
– Caprese sandwich – Layer fresh mozzarella, tomato, basil leaves, and balsamic glaze.
– Chicken avocado wrap – Fill your bread with chicken breast, avocado, lettuce, and ranch dressing.
– Tuna melt – A classic combo of tuna salad and melted cheddar or swiss cheese.
– Grilled veggie sandwich – Grill slices of zucchini, bell pepper, and eggplant to top your toasted bread with fresh mozzarella and pesto.
– Mini crostini – Top small pieces of toasted bread with ricotta, fig, prosciutto, or smoked salmon.
– Bread bowl dippers – Hollow out a bowl in a bread slice to fill with dips like artichoke, spinach, or buffalo chicken.
– Breadstick bites – Slice bread into breadsticks and top with sesame seeds, parmesan, and Italian seasoning. Bake until crisp.
– Bread pudding – Cube bread and bake into an egg custard studded with chocolate chips, nuts, or dried fruit.
– Cinnamon sugar toast – Spread butter on sliced bread, then coat with cinnamon and sugar. Broil until caramelized.
– Peach Melba toast – Top bread with fresh peach slices, raspberry sauce, and whipped cream.
With its sweet, tender crumb, tous les jours milk bread shines in both savory and sweet applications. Get creative with the topping and filling combinations!
Frequently Asked Questions
Here are answers to some common questions about the calories in tous les jours milk bread:
How many calories are in a mini/cocktail size slice of tous les jours bread?
A mini or cocktail size slice that weighs around 20 grams contains approximately 80 calories. The smaller the slice, the fewer calories it will have.
Does tous les jours bread have more calories than brioche?
Tous les jours and brioche bread have a similar number of calories per slice, around 120-140. Brioche is slightly higher in fat since it is made entirely with butter. But the two are comparable as enriched breads.
Is tous les jours bread healthier than white bread?
Compared to basic white bread, tous les jours milk bread is higher in protein, calcium, and certain vitamins and minerals due to the added milk and eggs. However, it is also higher in calories, carbohydrates, and fat. So it is not necessarily a healthier choice than white bread.
Can I lose weight while eating tous les jours bread regularly?
Yes, you can lose weight eating tous les jours bread in moderation as part of an overall healthy diet that creates a daily calorie deficit. Just be mindful of your portion sizes and limit higher calorie add-ons like cheese or creamy spreads.
What is the healthiest way to enjoy tous les jours milk bread?
Some healthy preparations include avocado toast, nut butter and banana toast, open-faced sandwiches packed with vegetables, and French toast made with just egg and a spray of oil instead of being dipped in syrup. Enjoy it as part of a balanced diet with plenty of fruits, vegetables, lean protein, and whole grains.
Tous les jours milk bread is a delightfully soft and sweet Asian bakery bread. Each slice contains approximately 120 calories, which come mainly from its carbohydrate, protein, and fat content. The number of calories can vary based on exact ingredients and portion size. While higher in calories than plain white bread, its pillowy texture and tasty flavor make it satisfying even in smaller servings. With mindful portions and healthy toppings or fillings, tous les jours bread can be part of an overall balanced diet.