The number of calories in an upside down pineapple cake can vary depending on the specific recipe, but on average a slice contains around 300-400 calories. An entire 9-inch upside down pineapple cake made with pineapple, cake mix, butter, brown sugar, and maraschino cherries contains approximately 3,600-4,800 calories total.
Calories in Upside Down Pineapple Cake by Ingredient
The primary ingredients that contribute calories and other nutrients to upside down pineapple cake include:
– 1 cup of fresh pineapple chunks contains 82 calories, 0 grams of fat, 21 grams of carbohydrates, 2 grams of fiber, 16 grams of sugar, and 1 gram of protein .
– The type and brand of cake mix can vary, but a typical pre-packaged yellow or white cake mix contains around 400 calories per box (enough to make one 9-inch cake layer).
– 1 tablespoon of unsalted butter contains 102 calories, 12 grams of fat, 0 grams of carbohydrates, 0 grams of fiber, 0 grams of sugar, and 0 grams of protein . A 9-inch upside down pineapple cake may use around 1/2 cup (8 tablespoons) of melted butter.
– 1 tablespoon of packed brown sugar contains 52 calories, 0 grams of fat, 13 grams of carbohydrates, 0 grams of fiber, 12 grams of sugar, and 0 grams of protein . A 9-inch cake typically uses around 1 cup (16 tablespoons) of brown sugar.
– 5 maraschino cherries contain around 30 calories, 0 grams of fat, 8 grams of carbohydrates, 0 grams of fiber, 7 grams of sugar, and 0 grams of protein . A 9-inch cake may use around 30 cherries.
Eggs, Oil, Water, Extracts
– Other minor ingredients like eggs, oil, water, and extracts add relatively small amounts of calories. 2 eggs contain about 140 calories. The type of oil used can range from 120 calories (canola oil) up to 240 calories (olive oil) per 1/4 cup.
Total Calorie Estimate for 9-Inch Upside Down Pineapple Cake
Based on typical ingredient amounts used to make a 9-inch upside down pineapple cake, the estimated calorie counts are:
|Cake mix||1 box||400|
|Brown sugar||1 cup||832|
|Maraschino cherries||30 cherries||30|
|Extracts, water, etc.||100|
For a 9-inch upside down pineapple cake, the total calorie count comes out to approximately 2,520 calories.
However, this is just an estimate and the actual calorie count can vary depending on the specific recipe, ingredient brands, and portion sizes.
Calories per Slice
To determine the calories per slice, you can divide the total calories by the number of slices in a 9-inch cake.
Most 9-inch round cakes are cut into 8-12 slices. Using 10 slices as an example:
– Total calories in entire 9-inch cake: 2,520 calories
– Number of slices: 10
– 2,520 calories ÷ 10 slices = 252 calories per slice
So each slice from a 10-slice 9-inch upside down pineapple cake would contain approximately 252 calories.
The calories per slice for different slice counts would be:
|Number of Slices||Calories per Slice|
|8 slices||315 calories|
|10 slices||252 calories|
|12 slices||210 calories|
As you can see, the more slices you cut the cake into, the lower the calories per slice. You can adjust your portion size to control calorie intake.
Ways to Reduce Calories in Upside Down Pineapple Cake
If you want to lighten up this dessert, there are several substitutions or modifications you can make to reduce the calorie content:
Use reduced-fat cake mix
– Swap regular cake mix for a reduced-fat variety. This cuts calories by using less fat and oil.
Replace butter with unsweetened applesauce
– Applesauce can replace half the butter in a cake recipe to cut almost 200 calories.
Use less brown sugar
– Cut back the brown sugar by a few tablespoons to save around 100 calories per 1/4 cup reduction.
Substitute milk for oil
– Replacing oil with an equal amount of milk can save around 100 calories per 1/4 cup.
– Use fewer cherries on top to save 30 calories per 5 cherries.
Adjust slice size
– Cut the cake into smaller servings to reduce calories per slice. Cut into 12 slices instead of 8.
Enjoy a smaller portion
– Having a smaller slice (1/2 slice instead of 1) is an easy way to halve your calorie intake.
Nutrition Information for Upside Down Pineapple Cake
In addition to calories, upside down pineapple cake contains:
Most of the carbs come from the added sugar and pineapple. An 8-12 slice cake has around 120-150g total carbs. Per slice: 15-30g carbs.
Fat comes mostly from the butter. Total fat content ranges from 40-60g. Per slice: 5-7g of fat.
Not a significant source of protein. You’ll get 2-5g total protein in the entire cake.
Pineapple provides a source of fiber. Around 2-4g per slice.
Brown sugar is the main source of added sugar. Total sugar is around 90-120g. Per slice: 11-20g sugar.
Cake mix and a touch of salt provide 200-300mg sodium for the full cake. Per slice: 25-50mg sodium.
Vitamins & Minerals
Pineapple offers some vitamin C, manganese, and small amounts of other vitamins and minerals. Maraschino cherries provide iron.
Healthier Upside Down Pineapple Cake Alternatives
If you’re looking for ways to lighten up this decadent dessert, here are some healthier upside down pineapple cake options:
Gluten-Free Upside Down Pineapple Cake
– Use a gluten-free cake mix and alternate flours like almond flour or coconut flour.
Vegan Upside Down Pineapple Cake
– Substitute dairy-free milk and butter, and use a vegan cake mix or flour blend.
Low Sugar Upside Down Pineapple Cake
– Cut back the brown sugar to 1/4 cup and use fresh pineapple instead of maraschino cherries.
Protein-Packed Upside Down Pineapple Cake
– Replace some of the flour with protein powder and add Greek yogurt for moisture.
Light Upside Down Pineapple Cake
– Opt for reduced-fat and sugar-free ingredients plus swap oil for apple sauce.
Storing Leftover Upside Down Pineapple Cake
Properly stored, upside down pineapple cake will stay fresh for around 5-7 days. Here are some tips:
– Let the cake cool completely before covering.
– Wrap tightly in plastic wrap or foil. For longer storage, double wrap.
– Refrigerate for up to 5 days.
– Freeze for up to 2-3 months. Thaw overnight in fridge before serving.
– Store cake slices individually to prevent drying out.
– Avoid exposing to heat, light, or air to prevent going stale.
– Consume within 3 days of refrigerating a slice.
– Do not leave cake slices at room temperature more than 2 hours.
Enjoy your upside down pineapple cake fresh when possible for the best moisture, flavor and texture. With proper storage methods, leftovers can be sealed to retain quality for several days.
Upside down pineapple cake is a deliciously sweet treat, but should be enjoyed in moderation due to its high calorie, sugar, and fat content. A slice from a 9-inch cake contains around 300-400 calories on average. You can reduce calories by using lighter ingredients, cutting back on sugar, and portioning properly. Store leftovers wrapped, refrigerated, and consume within 3-5 days for optimal freshness and quality. This tropical cake offers a scrumptious sensorial experience when eaten occasionally as part of an overall balanced diet.