A small Twix finger contains approximately 213 calories. This is based on the nutrition information provided by Mars, the manufacturer of Twix candy bars.
Nutrition Facts for Twix
According to Mars, the nutrition facts for a small Twix finger (one package, or two cookie bars) are:
- Calories: 213
- Total Fat: 11g
- Saturated Fat: 7g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Cholesterol: 5mg
- Sodium: 55mg
- Total Carbohydrate: 30g
- Dietary Fiber: 1g
- Total Sugars: 24g
- Added Sugars: 19g
- Protein: 2g
So a single small Twix bar contains about 213 calories, with the majority coming from fat (11g) and carbohydrates (30g).
What gives Twix its calorie and nutrient content? Let’s look at the ingredients that make up a Twix bar:
- Milk chocolate – Twix bars have a milk chocolate coating, which is made from cocoa butter, chocolate liquor, milk ingredients, sugar, and emulsifiers like soy lecithin. The chocolate coating contributes saturated fat, sugar, and calories.
- Biscuit – The biscuit base of Twix is made with wheat flour, sugar, vegetable oils, and cocoa powder. The biscuit adds calories, carbohydrates, and a small amount of fat.
- Caramel – Sweet caramel is layered on top of the biscuit in Twix bars. Caramel is made from milk, sugar, corn syrup, and butter. It adds more sugar and calories.
Additionally, Twix contains emulsifiers like lecithin and PGPR which help blend the ingredients smoothly. It also contains natural and artificial flavors. All these ingredients come together to create the crispy, crunchy, sweet and chocolatey taste of Twix with 213 calories per finger.
Calorie and Nutrient Breakdown
We can break down the calories in a Twix bar into nutrients:
- Fat: 110 calories – About half the calories in a Twix bar (110 calories) come from total fat. The majority is saturated fat from the chocolate, caramel, and biscuit.
- Carbohydrates: 120 calories – There are 30g total carbohydrates in a Twix bar, providing about 120 calories. Most of these carbs are natural and added sugars.
- Protein: 8 calories – With 2g of protein, Twix provides around 8 calories from protein.
So the high amounts of fat and carbs, mostly from sugar, drive the calorie content of Twix candy bars.
Twix Serving Size
It’s important to pay attention to serving size when looking at calorie and nutrient information.
The nutrition facts provided are for one small Twix package, containing two cookie fingers. Each finger is Around 1.79 ounces (51 grams).
Sometimes Twix bars come in different sizes:
- King size (2 packages or 4 fingers): 426 calories total
- Sharing size (3 packages or 6 fingers): 639 calories total
- Miniatures (0.49 oz or 14g each): around 57 calories each
So the small or regular Twix fingers contain about 213 calories per package or 107 calories per finger.
Daily Calorie Needs
To understand how a Twix bar fits into your overall diet, it helps to look at general daily calorie needs:
As you can see from the table, most people need around 2,000 calories per day for weight maintenance, though this varies based on age, body size, and activity level.
Twix as Part of a Balanced Diet
While the specific calorie needs vary for each individual, a small Twix bar contains around 10% of someone’s total daily calorie needs.
This means a Twix bar can be enjoyed in moderation as part of a balanced diet and active lifestyle. However, it is high in added sugar and low in essential nutrients.
For good nutrition, Twix and other sweets should not crowd out more nutritious whole foods like fruits, vegetables, whole grains, lean proteins, and healthy fats.
Twix Nutrition Facts vs. Other Candy Bars
How does a Twix bar compare to other popular candy bars in terms of calories?
Here’s a nutrition comparison of a small Twix finger with other candy bars (using 1.5-1.8oz serving sizes):
As you can see, Twix is very similar in calories and nutrition to other chocolate, caramel and nougat candy bars like Snickers and Kit Kat in a typical serving size. The calorie count ranges from around 210 to 270 calories for a small single-size bar.
Twix Nutrition Per 100g
It can also be helpful to look at the nutrition information for Twix bars per 100g:
- Calories per 100g: 418
- Fat per 100g: 21.5g
- Carbs per 100g: 59g
- Protein per 100g: 4.2g
This gives you a standardized way to compare the nutrient content by weight across different foods or brands.
Ways to Enjoy Twix in Moderation
Here are some tips for enjoying the great taste of Twix while keeping calories in check:
- Share a king size or sharing size Twix bar with a friend or family member. Portion out servings.
- Choose mini or fun size Twix as a small, portion-controlled treat.
- Have just one finger or half a bar to help control portions.
- Savor each bite slowly so you feel satisfied with less.
- Pair your Twix with fruits, veggies, yogurt or other filling foods.
- Make sure to account for the Twix calories by balancing intake for the rest of the day.
- Enjoy Twix bars occasionally as part of an overall healthy diet, rather than daily.
Healthier Candy Alternatives
If you want a sweet treat but are looking for options with less sugar and calories, here are some ideas:
- Fresh fruit like berries, bananas, apples, oranges
- Dried fruit with little or no added sugar
- Frozen yogurt bars made with real fruit
- Dark chocolate with 70% cocoa or higher
- Trail mix or granola with dried fruit, nuts, seeds
- Graham crackers
- Animal crackers
- Fig bars
- Annie’s organic fruit snacks
- Popcorn drizzled with a little melted dark chocolate
Look for options made with whole foods that offer fiber, protein, and other nutrients in addition to sweetness.
The Bottom Line
A small Twix bar contains around 213 calories, with about half coming from fat and half from carbohydrates. It also provides 10% of the daily value for saturated fat and added sugars.
While Twix can be enjoyed in moderation as part of an overall balanced diet, it is high in sugar and low in nutrition compared to whole foods. Other candy bars are similar to Twix in calories and macros.
When eaten in small portions and balanced with more nutritious foods and active lifestyle, the occasional Twix bar can be part of enjoying life’s sweet pleasures while maintaining your health.