There are approximately 600 calories in a 20 fluid ounce (591 mL) bottle of Nesquik lowfat chocolate milk. The exact calorie count can vary slightly depending on the fat content and added sugars.
Calculating Calories in Nesquik Chocolate Milk
To determine the calories in a bottle of Nesquik chocolate milk, we need to look at the Nutrition Facts label. This provides detailed information on the calorie and nutrient content per serving size.
Here are the key details for calculating calories in Nesquik chocolate milk:
- Serving size: 8 fl oz (237 mL)
- Calories per serving: 150
- Total bottle size: 20 fl oz (591 mL)
There are approximately 2.5 servings (20 oz / 8 oz) in a full bottle of Nesquik chocolate milk.
To calculate the total calories, we take the calories per serving (150) and multiply it by the number of servings in the bottle (2.5):
150 calories x 2.5 servings = 375 calories
Therefore, a full 20 oz bottle of Nesquik chocolate milk contains approximately 375 calories.
This calorie count is based on Nesquik’s standard lowfat chocolate milk. The calorie content can vary slightly depending on the specific product, fat level, and added sugars.
For example, the Original Nesquik powder provides:
- 140 calories per 8 fl oz serving made with 2.5 tbsp powder and lowfat milk
- 190 calories per 8 fl oz serving made with 2.5 tbsp powder and whole milk
The ready-to-drink Nesquik lowfat chocolate milk bottle provides 150 calories per 8 fl oz serving.
So the actual calorie count may range from 375 – 600 calories depending on the product. But a standard 20 oz bottle of Nesquik lowfat chocolate milk contains approximately 375 calories.
Nutrition Facts for Nesquik Lowfat Chocolate Milk
Here are the detailed nutrition facts for an 8oz serving (237mL) of Nesquik lowfat chocolate milk:
|Nutrient||Per Serving||% Daily Value|
|Includes 25g Added Sugars||50%|
As you can see, a serving of Nesquik chocolate milk provides 150 calories, with 110 of those calories coming from carbohydrates (primarily added sugars). It also contains 8g of protein and a small amount of fat and sodium.
When this is multiplied by 2.5 for the full 20oz bottle, you get the total of approximately 375 calories.
Benefits of Nesquik Chocolate Milk
Despite the high sugar content, Nesquik chocolate milk provides some important nutrients:
- Protein – An 8oz serving contains 8g of high quality protein, which helps build and repair muscles.
- Calcium – It provides 30% of the daily value for calcium, which is important for bone strength.
- Vitamin D – Contains 25% DV of vitamin D for healthy bones.
- Potassium – Provides electrolytes like potassium that aid in hydration.
- Flavonoids – Cocoa contains flavonoids that function as antioxidants.
The protein helps make it an effective post-workout recovery drink. The calcium, vitamin D and potassium also help replace what is lost in sweat during exercise.
Many kids enjoy the great chocolatey taste as a tasty beverage. So it can be an easy way to provide nutrients like calcium and vitamin D that are important for growing bodies.
However, the high amounts of added sugars make Nesquik more of treat than a daily drink choice.
Downsides of Nesquik Chocolate Milk
Despite some nutritional benefits, there are some downsides to consider with Nesquik chocolate milk:
- High in added sugars – Contains 25g per 8oz serving, so almost no room for extra sugars in the day.
- Higher in calories than plain milk – 150 calories per serving compared to just 90 calories in 8oz of 1% milk.
- Not a good choice for weight loss or diabetes – The extra calories and carbs from added sugars can contribute to weight gain and make blood sugar control difficult.
- Higher sodium than regular milk – Contains 125mg sodium per serving versus 110mg in white milk.
- Contains controversial ingredients – May contain artificial flavors, stabilizers, and emulsifiers.
The American Heart Association recommends limiting added sugars to no more than 25 grams per day for women and 36 grams for men. So Nesquik provides almost a full day’s worth of added sugar in just one 8oz serving.
This can make it difficult to keep calories and blood sugar in check when consumed daily. Water or plain milk are healthier choices on a daily basis.
Comparison to Other Chocolate Milk Brands
Nesquik is not the only chocolate milk on the market. Here’s how it compares to some other popular brands:
Nesquik vs. TruMoo Chocolate Milk
|Nutrient||Nesquik (8oz)||TruMoo (8oz)|
|Calcium||30% DV||30% DV|
|Vitamin D||25% DV||25% DV|
TruMoo contains slightly more calories and sodium but less added sugar compared to Nesquik. The protein, calcium, and vitamin D content are the same. Overall the two chocolate milks have a fairly comparable nutrition profile.
Nesquik vs. Organic Valley Chocolate Milk
|Nutrient||Nesquik (8oz)||Organic Valley (8oz)|
|Calcium||30% DV||30% DV|
Organic Valley has more calories and fat compared to Nesquik, but less added sugar. The sodium, protein and calcium content is similar. So Organic Valley would be the higher calorie, higher fat option between the two.
Nesquik vs. Store Brand Chocolate Milk
Store brands vary widely in their nutrition facts. But in general, most contain a comparable amount of calories and added sugars as the major national brands.
For example, Great Value Chocolate Milk (Walmart brand) provides 150 calories, 28g sugar in 8oz. So very similar to Nesquik.
The main difference with store brands may be in ingredients. Store brands may have fewer artificial ingredients compared to major brands like Nesquik. But nutrition-wise, most store brands offer no significant advantages.
Healthier Alternatives to Nesquik
For those looking to cut back on added sugars or calories, here are some healthier alternatives to Nesquik chocolate milk:
- Low-fat plain milk – Has just 90 calories and 0g added sugar per 8oz serving.
- Unsweetened cocoa powder – Add 1 tbsp to plain milk for chocolate flavor without added sugars.
- Make your own – Blend 2 tbsp cocoa powder + 1 tbsp honey + dash cinnamon + 8oz milk.
- Try milk alternatives – Soy, almond, or oat milk with cocoa have an average of 90-130 calories per 8oz.
The bottom line is that plain low-fat dairy milk or plant-based milk alternatives provide the nutrients found in chocolate milk without all the added sugars.
Adding your own touch of cocoa powder, honey, or other natural sweetener can give a chocolate taste without going overboard on sugar.
Should You Drink Nesquik Every Day?
The main concern with drinking Nesquik chocolate milk daily is the high amounts of added sugars – almost 50% of the recommended limit for women and nearly 70% for men in each 8oz serving.
Consuming this amount of added sugar every day significantly increases the risk of:
- Weight gain – Extra calories beyond what your body needs leads to fat storage.
- Obesity – Added sugars are linked to increased obesity rates, especially in children.
- Diabetes – Added sugars contribute to insulin resistance and type 2 diabetes.
- Heart disease – The extra calories can worsen cholesterol, blood pressure, and other heart disease risk factors.
- Fatty liver disease – Excess sugar consumption causes fat buildup in the liver.
- Tooth decay – Sugar feeds the bacteria that cause cavities and tooth decay.
Based on the high added sugar content, chocolate milk like Nesquik should be an occasional treat – not part of your daily breakfast routine.
For kids, the American Academy of Pediatrics recommends no more than 4-6oz of sweetened dairy per day as part of a healthy diet.
So drinking a full 8oz serving of Nesquik every day would exceed this limit. Water, plain milk and unsweetened beverages are healthier go-to choices for staying hydrated and getting nutrients without extra sugar.
Tips for Enjoying Nesquik Occasionally and In Moderation
Here are some tips to keep in mind if you want to enjoy Nesquik chocolate milk occasionally as a treat in your diet:
- Limit to no more than 4-6oz per day for kids/teens, or 8oz for adults 1-2 times per week.
- Dilute with plain milk – Mix 50/50 plain milk and chocolate milk to cut added sugars.
- Avoid other sugary drinks – Don’t also drink soda, juice, sweet tea, sports drinks, etc. on the same day.
- Watch calorie intake – Account for the extra 150 calories per serving in your daily food intake.
- Use as post-workout recovery – The carbs help replenish glycogen stores after a tough workout.
- Read labels carefully – Be aware that different formulations and brands vary in nutrition facts.
- Brush teeth after – Rinse your mouth after to wash away residue and prevent cavities.
Overall, enjoying chocolate milk like Nesquik should be an occasional extra treat, not an everyday habit. Limit portions, offset extra calories, and continue to emphasize healthier beverages to avoid excess sugar intake.
To summarize key points:
- A 20oz bottle of Nesquik chocolate milk contains approximately 375 calories.
- The main nutrients it provides are calcium, vitamin D, potassium, and protein.
- However, it is very high in added sugars – containing 25g per 8oz serving.
- Drinking Nesquik daily can lead to weight gain, blood sugar issues, and other problems due to excess added sugars.
- Water, plain milk or unsweetened alternatives are healthier daily choices.
- Nesquik chocolate milk is best enjoyed occasionally in small portions as a treat.
So be mindful of limiting extra sugars and calories whenever you choose to enjoy Nesquik chocolate milk. Moderation and portion control are key to keeping this sweet treat as part of an overall balanced diet.