Gluten-free diets have become increasingly popular in recent years, with more and more people cutting out gluten for health, dietary, or personal reasons. For those who follow a gluten-free diet, finding tasty gluten-free versions of classic treats like ice cream sandwiches can be a challenge. Luckily, there are a growing number of companies making delicious gluten-free ice cream sandwiches to satisfy even the most discerning sweet tooth.
In this article, we’ll take a look at the gluten-free ice cream sandwich options on the market. We’ll cover:
- What is a gluten-free ice cream sandwich?
- Why choose a gluten-free ice cream sandwich?
- Gluten-free ice cream sandwich brands
- Where to buy gluten-free ice cream sandwiches
- How to make your own gluten-free ice cream sandwiches
- Frequently asked questions
Whether you or a loved one follows a gluten-free diet or you’re simply looking for a delicious frozen treat, read on to learn all about the world of gluten-free ice cream sandwiches.
What is a Gluten-Free Ice Cream Sandwich?
An ice cream sandwich is a delectable frozen treat that consists of a layer of ice cream sandwiched between two cookies or other baked goods. Traditional ice cream sandwiches are made with cookies containing gluten ingredients like wheat flour.
A gluten-free ice cream sandwich swaps out the typical gluten-containing cookies for gluten-free cookies or wafers. The ice cream filling remains dairy-based and gluten-free. This allows people on a gluten-free diet to enjoy a cool, creamy sweet treat between two crispy gluten-free cookie layers.
Gluten-free ice cream sandwiches provide the satisfaction of an ice cream sandwich without the gluten. They often come individually wrapped for grabbing on the go. The cookies may contain gluten-free flours like rice flour, almond flour, coconut flour, or oat flour. They are baked up with gluten-free ingredients to mimic the taste and texture of a traditional cookie.
Why Choose a Gluten-Free Ice Cream Sandwich?
There are several reasons why someone may opt for a gluten-free ice cream sandwich:
- Gluten intolerance or celiac disease – For those with an intolerance to gluten or the autoimmune condition celiac disease, consuming gluten can cause serious health issues. Gluten-free ice cream sandwiches allow these individuals to still enjoy the treat.
- Gluten-free diet – Apart from medical reasons, some people choose to follow gluten-free diets. Gluten-free ice cream sandwiches mean they don’t have to miss out.
- Food allergies – Some people have wheat allergies and cannot consume gluten. Gluten-free ice cream sandwiches are safe for those with wheat allergies.
- Digestive issues – Although there is limited evidence, some report gluten worsening digestive problems. Gluten-free ice cream sandwiches may be easier to digest.
- Nutritional choice – There’s a perception of gluten-free foods being healthier, whether or not that’s scientifically true. Those seeking healthier options may pick gluten-free.
- Taste preference – Some people simply prefer the taste of gluten-free baked goods over traditional wheat flour versions. The cookies in gluten-free ice cream sandwiches may better suit their preferences.
Whatever the reason for choosing gluten-free, ice cream sandwiches without gluten offer a sweet treat that almost anyone can enjoy.
Gluten-Free Ice Cream Sandwich Brands
Several brands now produce packaged gluten-free ice cream sandwiches made with all gluten-free ingredients. Here is an overview of some of the top brands making gluten-free ice cream sandwiches:
Enlightened offers The Good-For-You Ice Cream Sandwich made with gluten-free cookies. Their ice cream is also dairy-free, made from a blended base of seed oils. Their gluten-free cookies sandwich Enlightened’s signature low-calorie ice cream.
Coolhaus makes gluten-free ice cream sandwiches with unique flavor combinations. They have sandwiches like fried chicken and gluten-free waffles or s’mores between gluten-free cookies. Their product line is also dairy-free.
3. So Delicious
So Delicious offers dairy-free and gluten-free ice cream sandwiches under their Minis line. Their sandwiches feature So Delicious coconut milk ice cream between certified gluten-free cookies.
Breyers launched two gluten-free ice cream sandwiches as part of their Delights special dietary needs line. Both options feature lactose-free ice cream and are certified gluten-free.
GoodPop makes gluten-free and dairy-free frozen pops and ice cream sandwiches. Their ice cream is made from a banana base sweetened with honey and sandwiched between gluten-free wafers.
Snoga’s Superfruit Snoga ice cream sandwiches are gluten-free and made with real fruit. They feature gluten-free chocolate wafers and dairy-free sorbet. Their Superfruit line has unique flavors like dragon fruit and acai.
Nick’s Gluten Free offers gluten-free and dairy-free ice cream sandwiches. Their ice cream is made from a base of organic coconut milk and sandwiched between crunchy gluten-free cookie wafers.
NadaMoo’s dairy-free and gluten-free Mini Sandwiches feature their signature coconut milk ice cream between gluten-free cookie wafers. Flavors include cookies and cream and mint chip.
Snaiappetit makes gluten-free and vegan ice cream sandwiches with unique flavors like black sesame and matcha tea. Their non-dairy ice cream uses a base of coconut milk or cashew milk.
10. Tru Fru
Tru Fru has fruit-based, dairy-free and gluten-free ice cream sandwiches. Flavors like mango and raspberry sorbet are sandwiched between gluten-free wafers.
Where to Buy Gluten-Free Ice Cream Sandwiches
Gluten-free ice cream sandwiches are becoming more widely available both online and in grocery stores. Here are some places you can find gluten-free ice cream sandwiches:
Many brands sell their gluten-free ice cream sandwiches through online stores on their own websites. Large online retailers like Amazon also carry a range of gluten-free ice cream sandwiches that can be ordered online and shipped. Some gluten-free specialty sites like Gluten Free Palace have a large selection too.
More and more grocery store chains are expanding their selections of gluten-free products, including ice cream sandwiches. Check the freezer section for brands labeled certified gluten-free. Stores with large natural and gluten-free sections like Whole Foods, Sprouts, and Wegmans typically carry gluten-free ice cream sandwiches.
Health food stores
Health food stores and co-ops often have dedicated gluten-free sections where you can browse a variety of specialty gluten-free sweets and treats. Stores like Natural Grocers and Earth Fare stock various gluten-free ice cream sandwich options.
Some pharmacy chains sell gluten-free ice cream sandwiches, usually found in the Frozen or Dietary Needs sections. Rite Aid, CVS, and Walgreens are starting to expand their gluten-free offerings.
Major convenience store brands are beginning to add gluten-free snacks to their shelves. 7-Eleven, Wawa, and Sheetz have gluten-free ice cream sandwiches available in select locations.
Wherever you prefer to shop, you should be able to track down gluten-free ice cream sandwiches in your area to satisfy your cool, creamy, gluten-free craving!
How to Make Your Own Gluten-Free Ice Cream Sandwiches
While buying ready-made gluten-free ice cream sandwiches is convenient, you can also easily whip up homemade gluten-free ice cream sandwiches. Here is a simple recipe and instructions for making them yourself:
For gluten-free cookies:
- 1 cup almond flour
- 1/4 cup coconut flour
- 1/4 cup sweetener like cane sugar or coconut sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 egg
- 2 Tablespoons coconut oil, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
For ice cream:
- 1 pint dairy-free or regular ice cream softened
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the almond flour, coconut flour, sweetener, salt, and baking soda.
- Stir in the egg, coconut oil, and vanilla until a dough forms.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface and roll out to about 1/4 inch thickness.
- Use a round cookie cutter to cut out cookie shapes from the dough. Place cookies on the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake for 12-14 minutes until lightly golden brown. Allow to cool completely.
- Allow ice cream to soften on the counter for 10 minutes before assembling.
- Spread 2-3 Tablespoons of ice cream onto the bottom of one cookie. Top with another cookie to make a sandwich.
- Wrap each assembled sandwich individually in parchment paper and plastic wrap. Freeze for at least 2 hours before eating.
Make a batch of gluten-free cookies to have on hand, then assemble the ice cream sandwiches right before eating or freezing. You can use any flavor of ice cream you like. Feel free to get creative with mix-in additions to the cookie dough or fun ice cream flavors.
Frequently Asked Questions
Are regular ice cream sandwiches gluten-free?
Most regular ice cream sandwiches are not gluten-free. Traditional ice cream sandwiches contain gluten in the cookie portion, since wheat flour is a standard ingredient. Check labels for confirmation that regular ice cream sandwiches contain gluten.
Is all ice cream gluten-free?
In general, plain ice cream is gluten-free. Issues mainly arise from mix-in ingredients added to some ice creams. Many brands indicate when their ice cream is gluten-free certified. If concerned, look for labeled gluten-free ice cream or contact the manufacturer.
What makes an ice cream sandwich gluten-free?
Gluten-free ice cream sandwiches have both gluten-free cookies and gluten-free ice cream. Avoiding all ingredients derived from wheat, barley, rye, and malt ensures no gluten. Confirm ice cream sandwiches are certified gluten-free to be safe.
Can you buy gluten-free ice cream sandwich cones?
Yes, there are brands making gluten-free ice cream sandwich waffle cones and bowls. Kinnikinnick Foods makes them using rice flour and sorghum flour. Most major gluten-free brands sell gluten-free ice cream cones.
Are gluten-free ice cream sandwiches healthy?
Like regular ice cream sandwiches, gluten-free versions are still considered more of a treat than health food. Many brands now offer options with less sugar, made with natural sweeteners, or that are dairy-free and vegan. Check nutrition labels if you have specific dietary needs.
The Scoop on Gluten-Free Ice Cream Sandwiches
Ice cream sandwiches have come a long way since the days of just vanilla ice cream between two chocolate wafers. Thanks to increased demand, there is now a huge selection of gluten-free ice cream sandwiches made with all sorts of delicious gluten-free cookie flavors and ice cream varieties.
Brand name gluten-free ice cream sandwiches can be purchased online and in more and more store locations. But homemade gluten-free ice cream sandwiches are also easy to whip up and fun to customize.
No matter your reason for eating gluten-free, you don’t have to feel left out of enjoying this iconic frozen dessert. With so many gluten-free options now available, ice cream sandwiches can remain a cool treat that almost anyone can partake in.