The Short Answer
Yes, you can absolutely get gluten-free lasagne sheets to accommodate gluten sensitivities or celiac disease. There are a variety of brands that make lasagne sheets specifically formulated to be gluten-free, usually using ingredients like rice flour, corn flour, or a blend of gluten-free flours. These gluten-free lasagne sheets can be found in many major grocery stores, health food stores, and online retailers. With the rise in gluten-free diets, gluten-free lasagne sheets have become widely available and easy to find. They provide a great way to still enjoy classic lasagne while avoiding gluten.
What Are Gluten Free Lasagne Sheets?
Gluten free lasagne sheets are pasta sheets used to assemble lasagne that are made without any gluten-containing ingredients. Traditional lasagne sheets are made from durum wheat flour, which contains gluten. Gluten free lasagne sheets swap out the wheat flour for gluten-free flours like:
- Rice flour
- Corn flour
- Potato flour
- Tapioca flour
- Chickpea flour
- Lentil flour
- Sorghum flour
- Buckwheat flour
- Arrowroot flour
- Almond flour
- Coconut flour
These alternative flours allow the sheets to hold together and mimic traditional pasta texture, while avoiding gluten sources like wheat, barley, and rye. The gluten free sheets are used just like wheat pasta sheets to layer the lasagne with sauce, cheese, and other fillings.
Benefits of Gluten Free Lasagne Sheets
Using gluten free lasagne sheets offers several benefits:
- Allows those with celiac disease or gluten sensitivity to enjoy lasagne
- Prevents gastrointestinal discomfort that can occur from eating gluten
- Provides a tasty pasta layer for grain-free and paleo diets
- Can be used in lasagne just like traditional wheat pasta sheets
- Gives you confidence there is no hidden gluten or cross-contamination
For those who need or prefer to avoid gluten for health or dietary reasons, gluten free sheets are an excellent solution for making lasagne safely.
Where to Buy Gluten Free Lasagne Sheets
Gluten free lasagne sheets are carried by many large grocery store chains, health food stores, and online:
Major Grocery Stores
- Whole Foods Market
- Trader Joe’s
- Stop & Shop
- Harris Teeter
Look in the gluten-free or specialty diet section of the pasta aisle in these major chains.
Health Food Stores
- Earth Fare
- Fresh Thyme
- Natural Grocers
Health food stores will have a large selection of gluten-free pastas and lasagne sheets from smaller niche brands.
Purchasing online offers the widest selection of gluten-free pasta brands. You can shop by preferences like organic, grain-free, or protein-enriched.
Popular Brands of Gluten Free Lasagne Sheets
Some of the top brands producing gluten-free lasagne sheets include:
Tinkyada Pasta Joy
- Made from brown rice flour
- Sturdy texture
- Holds up well when baked
- Certified gluten-free
Barilla Gluten Free
- Corn flour base
- Also egg, rice, and potato flour
- Closely mimics traditional pasta
- Certified gluten-free
DeLallo Gluten Free
- Blend of corn, rice, and potato flours
- Smooth, resilient texture
- Distributed in the refrigerated section
- Certified gluten-free
Ronzo Gluten Free
- Made from organic brown rice flour
- Non-GMO ingredients
- Sturdy sheets don’t fall apart
- Certified gluten-free
Trader Joe’s Gluten Free
- Corn flour base
- Affordable option
- Sold refrigerated or frozen
- Verified gluten-free
These are some of the top recommended brands for high-quality gluten free lasagne sheets that you can rely on. Look for pastas made with gluten-free grains and certified gluten-free for safety.
Tips for Using Gluten Free Lasagne Sheets
Gluten free lasagne sheets cook up just like traditional wheat pasta sheets in lasagne. Here are some tips:
- Boil the sheets briefly before assembling lasagne – They will be more pliable and less likely to crack or break when layered.
- Handle gently – Gluten free sheets tend to be more delicate.
- Don’t overbake – They can dry out faster than wheat pasta.
- Add moisture – Extra sauce, ricotta, or ground meat can prevent dryness.
- Grease the pan – Prevents sticking on the edges and bottom.
With a gentle touch and added moisture, you can make hearty lasagne with fantastic gluten free sheets.
Gluten Free Lasagne Sheet Recipes
Gluten free lasagne sheets can be used in any traditional lasagne recipe. Here are some tasty options:
- Layers of sautéed vegetables like spinach, mushrooms, zucchini, and carrots
- Dairy-free sunflower seed ricotta
- Chunky marinara sauce
- Melty vegan mozzarella
Sausage and Kale Lasagne
- Hearty Italian sausage and kale filling
- Creamy besciamella sauce
- Goat cheese and parmesan layers
- Savory, protein-packed recipe
Chicken Alfredo Lasagne
- Diced chicken in an alfredo sauce
- Nutty Swiss cheese and spinach
- Creamy, comfort food dish
Let your imagination run wild coming up with tempting gluten-free lasagne ideas!
Should the Sauce Used be Gluten Free?
When preparing gluten-free lasagne, most experts recommend using a gluten-free sauce as well. Here’s why:
- Prevents cross-contamination from gluten-containing ingredients like wheat flour or pasta water that may be in a traditional sauce
- Ensures no trace amounts of gluten come in contact with the sheets
- Provides extra assurance for sensitive celiacs
- Lets you experience the lasagne free of gluten from top to bottom
Many traditional tomato and meat sauces can be easily modified to be gluten-free:
- Substitute corn, potato, or arrowroot starch for wheat flour to thicken
- Use gluten free broths and stocks
- Add sliced veggies instead of pasta water to finish the sauce
Gluten-free jarred sauces are also readily available. Going the extra step for gluten free sauce gives peace of mind.
Should Other Ingredients be Gluten Free?
Along with gluten free sheets and sauce, it’s smart to use gluten free versions of other ingredients:
- Cheeses – Use brands labeled gluten-free to avoid additives
- Meats – Opt for uncured, additive-free varieties
- Veggies – Make sure frozen veggies don’t have gluten-containing batters
- Herbs and spices – Some include gluten fillers – choose pure seasonings
Reading labels carefully helps construct a lasagne that avoids sources of gluten cross-contamination.
Are Gluten Free Lasagne Sheets Healthy?
Gluten free lasagne sheets offer both pros and cons when it comes to nutrition:
- Gluten-free flours provide more fiber
- Can include nutrient-rich alternative flours like buckwheat, quinoa, almond
- Often made from whole grains instead of refined wheat
- Room for adding extra vegetables and lean proteins
- Higher glycemic index than wheat pasta
- More fat and calories than wheat pasta
- Carb-heavy if large portion consumed
- Typically lower protein than wheat pasta
Following a gluten free diet does intrinsically promote more whole foods. But gluten free processed foods can still be high in carbs, calories, and sugars.
Making smart filling choices like veggies, beans, and lean meats creates a healthier lasagne meal. Moderating portion sizes of the pasta sheets is also advised.
On average, gluten-free lasagne sheets cost $1.50 to $3 more per box than regular wheat pasta sheets. Here is a price comparison:
|Barilla||Gluten Free Lasagne Sheets (8 oz)||$3.99|
|Ronzo||Organic Brown Rice Lasagne Sheets (8 oz)||$4.99|
|Tinkyada||Brown Rice Lasagne Style Pasta (8 oz)||$5.29|
|Trader Joe’s||Gluten Free Lasagne Sheets (10 oz)||$3.29|
|Barilla||Classic Blue Box Lasagne Sheets (12 oz)||$2.25|
The specialized flours and production methods of gluten free pasta make it a bit pricier. But the extra couple dollars per box is worth it for those requiring a gluten-free diet.
Can You Freeze Gluten Free Lasagne Sheets?
Yes, freezing extra gluten free lasagne sheets is totally fine. Here are some freezing tips:
- Portion sheets into freezer bags or airtight containers
- Squeeze out excess air before sealing
- Lie flat in a single layer to prevent sticking
- Add a piece of parchment between layers
- Freeze up to 2-3 months
- Thaw overnight in the fridge before using
Frozen gluten free sheets regain their texture beautifully when thawed. Freezing allows you to:
- Stock up when they go on sale
- Have them ready for spur of the moment lasagne cravings
- Meal prep several lasagne pans at once
Freezing is also great for preventing opened packages from going bad before use. Enjoy convenience and less waste!
Gluten free home cooks can rejoice knowing delicious lasagne is still on the menu. Swapping in high-quality gluten free lasagne sheets allows you to customize the iconic baked pasta dish to be safe for gluten-free diets. Look for reputable brands using alternative flours and certifying the pasta is gluten-free. Combine with your favorite fillings and gluten free sauce for a hearty, nostalgic gluten-free meal. Lasagne sheets can be found in stores or online at an affordable price point. With proper handling, they bake up tender and delicious every time. Freezing the sheets extends their shelf life so you can always have gluten free lasagne in your back pocket.