Yes, Sweet Tart Chewies are gluten-free. Sweet Tart Chewies are made by Ferrara Candy Company, who state on their website that the product does not contain any gluten ingredients. The chews are made with sugar, corn syrup, citric acid, apple juice from concentrate, sodium citrate, artificial flavors, colors (red 40 lake, yellow 5 lake, yellow 6 lake, blue 1 lake), and soy lecithin. None of these ingredients contain gluten.
Ingredients in Sweet Tart Chewies
Here are the ingredients found in Sweet Tart Chewies, according to the Ferrara Candy Company website:
– Corn syrup
– Citric acid
– Apple juice from concentrate
– Sodium citrate
– Artificial flavors
– Colors (red 40 lake, yellow 5 lake, yellow 6 lake, blue 1 lake)
– Soy lecithin
None of these ingredients are derived from grains containing gluten. The sugar and corn syrup act as sweeteners. Citric acid provides tartness. Apple juice concentrate provides flavor. Sodium citrate controls acidity. Artificial flavors enhance the fruity taste. The lake dyes provide color. Soy lecithin is an emulsifier to improve texture. Overall, the ingredients are gluten-free.
About Celiac Disease and Gluten
Celiac disease is an autoimmune disorder where the ingestion of gluten leads to damage in the small intestine. Gluten is a protein found in grains like wheat, barley and rye. For those with celiac disease or non-celiac gluten sensitivity, eating gluten triggers an immune response that attacks the small intestine and inhibits nutrient absorption. This can lead to symptoms like abdominal pain, bloating, diarrhea, vomiting and constipation. The only treatment for celiac disease is strictly following a gluten-free diet by avoiding foods and products containing gluten.
Many individuals with celiac disease or gluten sensitivity rely on checking ingredient labels to determine if foods are gluten-free. Any ingredients derived from prohibited grains must be avoided. Being gluten-free means having zero parts per million of gluten. Even trace amounts can cause issues, so thorough checking of ingredients is a must. Consuming gluten can have severe long term consequences like malnutrition, osteoporosis, infertility and certain cancers.
Certifications for Gluten-Free Foods
There are several certifications that help identify gluten-free products:
– Gluten-Free Certification Organization (GFCO) – This program certifies products that meet the FDA requirements for gluten-free labeling. GFCO requires testing of all ingredients and facilities to limit cross-contamination. Products display the GFCO logo on packaging.
– Celiac Support Association Recognition Seal – This indicates products are certified to have 10 parts per million or less of gluten. Testing is conducted on all ingredients and manufacturing equipment.
– Gluten-Free Certification Program – This certification verifies products have less than 10ppm of gluten through review of manufacturing facilities and test results.
While Sweet Tart Chewies do not carry an external certification, the manufacturer clearly states they are gluten-free based on the ingredients. Ferrara Candy Company indicates compliance to FDA gluten-free labeling rules on their website.
FDA Regulations on Gluten-Free Labeling
The FDA established a federal definition of “gluten-free” which took full effect in 2014. For a product to make a gluten-free claim:
– It must not contain wheat, rye, barley or crossbreeds in ingredients
– It cannot have detectable gluten levels above 20 parts per million
– No ingredients derived from prohibited grains can be present
– Risk of cross-contact and contamination is minimized
FDA labeling rules ensure consumers can trust gluten-free claims. Companies are required to adhere to strict standards and testing protocols. Additionally, the FDA audits manufacturing facilities to verify compliance. Following the gluten-free labeling guidelines is voluntary, but provides regulation and standardization across the food industry.
Are Other Sweet Tart Products Gluten-Free?
In addition to Sweet Tart Chewies, other gluten-free Sweet Tart products include:
– Original Sweet Tarts: These small hard tart candies contain sugar, citric acid, natural and artificial flavors, colors (red 40, yellow 5, yellow 6, blue 1), and soy lecithin. Ferrara confirms no gluten ingredients.
– Sour Apple Sweet Tarts: The ingredients include sugar, citric acid, natural and artificial flavors, malic acid, colors (red 40, blue 1, yellow 5), soy lecithin and BHT. Ferrara indicates this variety is also gluten-free.
– Chewy Sours: These chewy sour candies have flavors like cherry, green apple, lemon, orange, and watermelon. Ferrara states the product does not contain wheat, barley, rye or gluten.
– Sweet Tart Ropes: This chewy candy format contains sugar, corn syrup, citric acid, natural and artificial flavors, soy lecithin, coloring, and BHT preservative. Confirmed as gluten-free by the manufacturer.
– Sweet Tart Gummy Candy: These are gluten-free according to Ferrara. The gummies are made with a base of corn syrup, sugar, modified food starch, and gelatin.
So all varieties of Sweet Tarts are gluten-free according to the ingredients lists and statements from Ferrara Candy Company. Individuals with celiac disease or gluten intolerance can enjoy Sweet Tarts without concern over gluten content.
Are Other Tart or Sour Candies Gluten-Free?
In addition to Sweet Tarts, many other popular tart, sour or acidic candies are gluten-free. Always check ingredient labels since formulations can change. Other gluten-free choices include:
– Extreme Sour Hard Candy
– Sour Spray Candy
Sour Patch Kids
– Soft & Chewy Candy
-Original Hard Candy
-Hazardously Sour Candy
-Extremes Sour Candy
Tips for Following a Gluten-Free Diet
Here are some tips for living gluten-free if you have celiac disease or gluten sensitivity:
– Learn to read food labels – inspect all ingredients and allergen statements. Call manufacturers if unclear.
-Check labels every time you shop since formulations can change.
-Look for “gluten-free” labeled products to save time reading labels. Seek certifications from GFCO, CSA Recognition Seal etc.
-Find substitutes for your favorite gluten-containing foods like gluten-free bread, pasta, and baked goods. Test different brands.
-Be aware of cross-contact when eating out. Avoid fried foods and ask for specialty preparations.
-Look for gluten-free snacks like fruit, nuts, seeds, popcorn, dried meat, and dark chocolate.
-Communicate with friends and family to raise awareness and request gluten-free options at social occasions.
-Join online support groups to exchange gluten-free tips and new product discoveries.
Following a strict gluten-free diet is challenging but doable. Planning, label reading, and product substitutions help manage celiac disease and non-celiac gluten sensitivity. Thankfully many common candies like Sweet Tart Chewies are gluten-free.
Sweet Tart Chewies are gluten-free based on the ingredient list provided by Ferrara Candy Company. The chews contain no grains with gluten such as wheat, barley, rye or derivatives that would be prohibited. Ferrara indicates compliance to FDA regulations for making a gluten-free claim on labeling. Those with celiac disease or gluten intolerance can enjoy Sweet Tarts without concern over gluten exposure. Additionally, all varieties of Sweet Tarts are gluten-free along with many other popular sour candies. Carefully reading ingredient labels and awareness of cross-contact risk helps those with gluten restrictions identify safe candy choices.